• September 29, 2024, 01:32:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SS9 (basically all models): Chargeport & fan water resistant?  (Read 487 times)

most

• View Profile
SS9 (basically all models): Chargeport & fan water resistant?
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:18:56 PM »

All,
while still waiting for my SS9+, I was wondering if the AC Charger fan is water resistant?. I was massaging the manual but did not discover anything.
I‘m well enough experienced from my cars (Bolt-EV/Amperage-E, Renault Zoe & e-Golf) to know that the CCS charge port actually allows charging under all weather conditions, but I‘m less sure when it comes to the SS9/Ribelle/Eva/Ego cooling fan. I am aware from some PC building actions that many fans have cup-Linke hub designs where the fan has at least some basic protection but I do not know the make from Energicas fan.
@DonTom, you changed the fan recently. You did not occasionally took pictures that you might be able to share? I‘d be interested to see the design - maybe it allows some conclusion regarding the water protection. If might even have an IP class printed on it?!
Edit: Found DonTom‘s old post: This is the exact fan my  SS9 uses.
, followed the link to the fan and checked the fan spec sheet. IP is nowhere mentioned, so fair to assume it is not specified.

So, is it advisable to charge when it rains cats and dogs?

Tnx & greetings from Germany
most
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:26:11 PM by most »
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

PWM

• View Profile
Re: SS9 (basically all models): Chargeport & fan water resistant?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:25:25 AM »

Tnx & greetings from Germany
most

Does the fan energize when the charge cycle starts or is it temperature controlled?

Likely the fan comes on immediately to displace mist level droplets (it blows outward, correct?) but you are correct to question driving rain conditions.

Sounds like something for the travel list e.g. rain-fly for charger (take scrap rip-stop nylon and velcro strip material then ask wife nicely to sew something - get her engaged in the task and call it quality time  ;))
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »

My guess would be probably not. The fan was the first thing to crap out in my Energica, but it isn't that difficult to replace, as you can see from my posts.

It didn't look waterproof to me at all. But I cannot say that mine was damaged by rain. I have no idea what caused my fan to fail. But it was louder than normal for a few days before it went open-circuit.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »

Does the fan energize when the charge cycle starts or is it temperature controlled?
Temperature controlled. For AC charging only. It does run for a second when the bike is keyed on,  for a self-test, and then goes off until the AC charger  warms up a bit.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »

Guys, thanks for your feedback. Shit. Especially on trips longer than only the weekend (which I definitively plan on doing) you can‘t avoid running into bad weather; it simply happens in Central Europe😇. Not that I plan on charging in the rain, but I might have to.
This is a significant information that must be mentioned in the manual. I‘ll consult with the dealer, maybe he wants to reach out for Energica for some feedback...
Consumption:

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:16 AM »

This is a significant information that must be mentioned in the manual. I‘ll consult with the dealer, maybe he wants to reach out for Energica for some feedback...

Thank you for chasing clarity on this subject - I'm sure we've all assumed the cooling fan vent (not the fan itself) is tolerant of water ingress and gravity would allow drainage away from anything critical, but as you point out, it isn't described anywhere in the manual.  Good catch!
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 12:56:09 AM »

Guys, thanks for your feedback. Shit. Especially on trips longer than only the weekend (which I definitively plan on doing) you can‘t avoid running into bad weather; it simply happens in Central Europe😇. Not that I plan on charging in the rain, but I might have to.
Even if it craps out, you have options during a trip.  One is to reduce the charge rate to around half (even though I think the charger protects itself from over heating anyway--and will lower power on its own-but will run quite hot).

The other is to buy a small cheap USB fan somewhere. I managed to get one at the closest hardware store and used it on mine as I was waiting for my fan I ordered on-line--and charged at the full 3 KW. The USB port on your Energica will be powered on while charging. I carried this fan with me just  in case I needed to AC charge on the road.

Also, the fan is not needed at all for DC  fast charging.

So the fan crapping out while on a trip isn't a big deal. There are simple ways to deal with it. I rode my SS9 just as much after I removed the fan while  I was waiting for my new fan  to come in.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:39:41 AM »

Don, thanks for calming me down!

Well I know what you mean - but a makeshift solution was not exactly my point. My expectation is that any EV should be fully operational under all weather conditions. And this means charging, regardless of AC or DC. Technically no problem to improve protection of the fan. Simply not considered and not done!

For hobby tools, like the SS9+ is for me, I am willing to compromise - but I expect that the OEM makes me aware of any compromises required. I would expect to find that in the manual or on a sticker next to the charge port, à la ‘do not use in rain’. I can only consider this and counter act if I’m made aware.
Well, Italy is the European California - warm weather & less rain, so maybe Energica is less concerned if a fan fails once in a while. I’m also realistic enough to not have the same expectations from Energica as from BMW motorcycles - they have a different heritage and are a rather small company. Anyway the charging system is essential to the bike’s function. If it requires special attention then this needs to be stressed out.

Am I expecting too much? I hope not...😂
Consumption:
Pages: [1]