• September 29, 2024, 05:25:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Passenger on an EsseEsse9  (Read 594 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Passenger on an EsseEsse9
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:29 AM »

Any current EsseEsse9 owners ever tried taking a passenger? I’m curious if the rear sub-frame is up to the task of an adult passenger. Although I didn’t buy my EsseEsse9 with the intent of carrying a passenger, I’m guessing the general COVID shutdown has my wife antsy enough to be interested in riding with me on the bike when I take it out for a spin.

While the seat is definitely the one most suited for a passenger out of all of the Energica models, I’m a little hesitant to carry a passenger since that’s where our AC charger resides.

Curious what others have experienced.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Passenger on an EsseEsse9
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »

I’m a little hesitant to carry a passenger since that’s where our AC charger resides.
Why do you feel that could be an issue?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »

Are you within or outside GVWR w/ passenger?

Is GVWR the same for all Energica bikes?

The SS9/SS9+ rear section is different than the Eva107/Ribelle/Ego.

When compared casually, the SS9 seems more refined for charger integration, cannot judge structure but seat is very inviting for a passenger.

One thing for sure, the SS9 would benefit from a hydraulic pre-load adjuster and spring change for 2up - staying within GVWR is not easy but the solution can be as simple as a visit to the Ohlins store?
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

most

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 02:53:33 PM »

All,
a brief check of the manual reveals a „full load“ weight of 458kg/1009lbs and according the manual, the SS9+ has a dry weight of 275kg/606lbs => 183kg/403lbs of load.
SS9 standard 282kg/621lbs => 176kg/388lbs. Tables can be found on page 65 / technical specs.

So 183kg/176kg (SS9+/SS9) is the max load for rider & passenger with full gear including any baggage. Decide for yourself if you can make it with your passenger.
Just if you do it is advisable to adjust the suspension to have roughly 1/3 negative shock travel. Anything else will severely impact the riding and handling behaviors.

I would expect Energica to undergo some kind of max load test for bike homologation, so I guess those max loads can be considered as safe. It‘s also crystal clear that a lightweight rider with a heavy passenger will induce different frame forces compared with a heavy rider and a lightweight passenger, even though the total weight might be identical. Anyway, this should not affect the durability of the bike.

Don’t forget: It most certainly will have an effect on the riding behavior!

Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

frank_b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »

In our local Energica app group one of the owners is at this moment on vacation with his SS9+.
Going from the Netherlands he is now in Switzerland with 3 cases (HORIZON SS9) and wife.

Totality happy until now so no problem at all. 
Energica EVA Ribelle (Stealth Grey)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Given the location of the AC charger I was leery to put any load on the tail section beyond my big butt. I’ll try some around town jaunts with my wife to see how she and the bike feel before trying any longer rides.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »

BP, forgive me if this is a dumb question - are you really afraid that the extra load of a passenger will damage the internal charger?
Ain‘t got my own SS9 yet, but trying to remember what I saw, the rider / passenger loads are distributed via some side elements of the seat into the CNC‘d blue elements on the front part and the lateral subframe structure on the rear end of the seat. I do not remember any contact points directly underneath the middle part of the seat - but I could be mistaken.
Well, if this is your fear, a bit of plasticine would reveal if there is any undesired contact...
Consumption:

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 07:14:35 PM »

Yep, that’s my hesitation. No real engineering reasons, just my gut feeling/fear, especially since I’m 250lbs without gear myself. With my wife and I both geared up we may be at the load limit but like I said previously, I’m going to try a short ride this weekend or next to see how the bike feels.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »

Well then use some plasticine right above the charger to see if the seat is actually touching that area.
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:03 PM »

Well then use some plasticine right above the charger to see if the seat is actually touching that area.
Other than the fan on top of the lower part of the charger, I am sure the charger could have a lot of weight on top of it anyway. It charger looks very well built and even if standing on it with 300 lbs I doubt would cause a problem.

The fan, OTOH, is the weak spot. But it's not that much hassle to replace even if it is damaged. I had to replace mine and it didn't have anything to do with weight being on it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X