• September 28, 2024, 11:21:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Traction Control?  (Read 1326 times)

FriscoDad

• View Profile
Traction Control?
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »

Does anyone know the meaning of the "TC" warning indicator on the bottom of the EGO display?  I have the TC symbol in a red box in the attached picture below.  To me it looks like a cross section of a motorcycle tire and the TC in the middle of it with an exclamation point to add emphasis. Sorry for the bad glare in the picture, but it was a hot sunny day and that is the best picture I could get with my phone.

I searched through my owners manual that I got with the purchase of the motorcycle, but despite reading it cover to cover and paying attention to all the warning symbols, I could not find any example or description of the TC warning icon in the manual.  When I go to diagnostic mode on the motorcycle, all systems are OK and I don't see any diagnostic codes.  After I turn off the motorcycle and turn it back on, the TC warning icon goes away.

I've got a 2019 EGO, and as far as I know it does not include traction control, so I'm confused about the TC warning light.  Thanks for any clues or explanations.
2019 Energica Ego

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Traction Control?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »

After I turn off the motorcycle and turn it back on, the TC warning icon goes away.
When does it come back on?

My first guess would be that it means you have activated your TC. The TC that you think you don't have. :) Would normally mean the rear wheel moved a little faster than the front and then the TC  tries to slow down the rear wheel to regain traction.

My 2nd guess is that it is telling you there is trouble in the TC, such as an open (or dirty) wheel sensor.

If your bike really comes with no TC, then I will assume it's a software glitch.

I can tell you that my 2020 SS9 has six different settings for TC. I would think yours would have at least one.

But those are only  my guesses. I really don't know.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »

When does it come back on?

I'm not exactly sure when the TC warning appears.  I've owned the EGO for about a month, and put about 1000 miles on it.  I saw the TC warning three times this past Sunday when I was out for an afternoon ride. It seems to randomly appear and I only notice it when I glance down at the display. The first time I saw it, I was a little concerned so I kept an eye on it, but it didn't go away as I drove on the highway.  I pulled off at an exit to go through the menu settings and check the diagnostics screen, but no diagnostic codes in the diagnostics screen.  At that point I turned off the motorcycle, turned it back on, and the display no longer has the TC warning.  BTW, does anyone know how to exit the diagnostics screen without turning the motorcycle off?

Later that same day, I saw the TC warning again. I just continued driving until I got to my charging destination. I got off the EGO, grabbed my phone and took a picture.  Once again I went to the diagnostics screen, but status showed OK and no diagnostic codes.   I turned off the EGO, turned it back on, and the TC warning was gone.  I then proceeded to get a charge before heading back home.  On the way home, the TC message appeared again, but I don't know when or exactly why.  I didn't do any hard acceleration or anything unusual.  When I got home, I checked for diagnostic codes, but still no codes.  I shut off the motorcycle and charged at home.  The EGO has been parked in my garage since Sunday, so no opportunity to see the TC warning again.
2019 Energica Ego

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »

Maybe it's like my Mazda which flashes the light when the car feels a slip.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »

In my case it comes on and stays on until I turn off the motorcycle. 
2019 Energica Ego

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 11:33:47 PM »

I'm not exactly sure when the TC warning appears.  I've owned the EGO for about a month, and put about 1000 miles on it.  I saw the TC warning three times this past Sunday when I was out for an afternoon ride. It seems to randomly appear and I only notice it when I glance down at the display. The first time I saw it, I was a little concerned so I kept an eye on it, but it didn't go away as I drove on the highway.  I pulled off at an exit to go through the menu settings and check the diagnostics screen, but no diagnostic codes in the diagnostics screen.  At that point I turned off the motorcycle, turned it back on, and the display no longer has the TC warning.  BTW, does anyone know how to exit the diagnostics screen without turning the motorcycle off?

Later that same day, I saw the TC warning again. I just continued driving until I got to my charging destination. I got off the EGO, grabbed my phone and took a picture.  Once again I went to the diagnostics screen, but status showed OK and no diagnostic codes.   I turned off the EGO, turned it back on, and the TC warning was gone.  I then proceeded to get a charge before heading back home.  On the way home, the TC message appeared again, but I don't know when or exactly why.  I didn't do any hard acceleration or anything unusual.  When I got home, I checked for diagnostic codes, but still no codes.  I shut off the motorcycle and charged at home.  The EGO has been parked in my garage since Sunday, so no opportunity to see the TC warning again.
Does the bike have the stock tires on it?  It kinda sounds like there is TC, but the wheels are not the exact size they should be or something like that. The default is to keep traction control on, so when you turn the bike off, it resets.  So then you ride a while, the sensors detect a difference in speed between the wheels, so then it stays on.

Just another guess, of course.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 02:00:25 AM »

I have a similar issue on my 2020 EsseEsse9. Once in a while (it's pretty infrequent), when I turn on the bike, I don't get any traction control indicator. Usually I don't notice it until I'm already riding. Stopping and turning the bike off and on again has always cleared it up.

I've mentioned it to my local dealer just so it can be tracked but since it happens so infrequently I haven't worried about it. Since the latest firmware update, I have noticed a different problem where the bike turns itself off within 1-2 seconds of turning it on...like it's failing a power on self test of some kind. The bike always functions normally after turning it back on immediately. Just like the traction control issue, it happens very infrequently so other than mentioning it to my dealer so it gets tracked, I'm not going to fret about it.

Hope your issue is as minor as mine but please update us if it turns out to be something more serious.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »

I have no TC on my Esse and I get the message right after charging. It started appearing after FW .036 was installed.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »

I have no TC on my Esse and I get the message right after charging. It started appearing after FW .036 was installed.
Could it be telling you that regen is reduced?  But I have no idea why they would use "TC" for reduced regen.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 06:13:06 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  I haven't figured out how to quote multiple people in a single post, so I will reply to each person's questions individually.
2019 Energica Ego

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 06:20:01 AM »

[/quote] Does the bike have the stock tires on it?  It kinda sounds like there is TC, but the wheels are not the exact size they should be or something like that. The default is to keep traction control on, so when you turn the bike off, it resets.  So then you ride a while, the sensors detect a difference in speed between the wheels, so then it stays on.
[/quote]

Hi Don. AFAIK, everything on the EGO is stock except the upgraded rear Ohlins shock.  For tires, I've got the following which I assume are stock. Pirelli Diablo Rosso III – front 120/70 ZR17 / rear 180/55 ZR17.  I checked tire pressure and they are about 40.5 PSI front and rear.  You mentioned earlier that your Esse has 6 different settings for TC, but I checked all the menu settings on my Ego and I can't find any setting for TC, and neither does the Owners Manual mention TC anywhere.  So as I suspect, 2019 and earlier Energica motorcycles do not have any traction control.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:21:58 AM by FriscoDad »
2019 Energica Ego

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »

I have a similar issue on my 2020 EsseEsse9. Once in a while (it's pretty infrequent), when I turn on the bike, I don't get any traction control indicator. Usually I don't notice it until I'm already riding. Stopping and turning the bike off and on again has always cleared it up.

Thanks for your post.  Hopefully the TC indicator on my Ego is just a harmless glitch. My EGO was a dealer demo bike, and I bought it with 500 miles on the odometer. The dealer performed the 600 mile maintenance before I bought it, so my next scheduled maintenance isn't until 6000 miles. I've only seen the TC warning 3 times on this past Sunday and I've added about 1000 miles since I bought the Ego.  I did go for a short drive today, and no TC warning was visible.  I'll keep an eye on it and if it only shows up once every 1000 miles and doesn't cause any performance issue, I'll just record the occurrences and report it to the dealer at my next maintenance visit.
2019 Energica Ego

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 06:37:39 AM »

I'm not sure what firmware version my Ego is running.  How do I check?

Could traction control be introduced as a firmware upgrade? How does the traction control work?  Does traction control use the same sensors on the bike as ABS? 

I don't want to start any rumors, but it would be cool if Energica would be able to retrofit older motorcycles with traction control with a firmware update. 
2019 Energica Ego

FriscoDad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 06:50:36 AM »

I just checked the menu options on the Ego and I found the FW version.  I guess my Ego is running 0.36
FW: EN.A.001956.036
2019 Energica Ego

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »

OP. I will betcha a pork-chop or beer (same calorie count) that you can induce the alert by riding on gravel.  How do I know? I don't but think about it, it's a retentive signal - it just says you loss a bit of traction under traction control and it seems logical that it resets on ignition key being switched off.  The one thing about the Energica bikes is they have to comply w/ stringent ISO standards to be manufactured in the EU particularly with respect to fly by wire controls...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)
Pages: [1] 2