• September 29, 2024, 05:25:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bluetooth App...but only with key on :(  (Read 927 times)

octopusenvy

• Tiakina Te Taiao!
    • View Profile
Bluetooth App...but only with key on :(
« on: July 17, 2020, 03:11:01 AM »

Anyone else frustrated with this? Bluetooth is not a massive feature, but the lack of it is frustrating when I was used to diginow charging on my old Zero. If you use the app at all, the only main feature for me would be to begin charging and be able to monitor the charge from a distance. Of course LRC (long range connection) is being worked on now by Energica, which will be great. But bluetooth should absolutely work without the key on!

Being able to begin charging, and monitor it while you sit in a cafe or even in your house or workplace with a line of sight to the bike is a really useful feature, but very annoying when you can't do this without leaving the key in the bike and it turned on! No one would comfortably leave their bike with a key in it on, so just not sure if there's a work around or why this glaring fault wasn't corrected? Does the braintrust have any solution or workaround?
From custom build, to Zero to Energica. Life is short, buy the electric bike!

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Bluetooth App...but only with key on :(
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:00:14 AM »

The funny thing is that you could get a pretty good estimate with just a timer that knew your starting SoC and calculated accordingly with the proper slow-downs approaching full.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 05:23:59 AM »

I agree it's inconvenient, and it's notable that Zero rather than doing this for the new platform (SRF/SRS aka FST) worked on a cellular connection module that is completely isolated from the main computer (MBB). I think there are good security reasons why it works the way it does. And probably some very budget-related firmware development time reasons.

If you're not comfortable leaving the bike with the key on, you shouldn't be comfortable having a bluetooth antenna on.

At least, I wouldn't. Bluetooth is not that secure.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 08:12:14 AM »

The funny thing is that you could get a pretty good estimate with just a timer that knew your starting SoC and calculated accordingly with the proper slow-downs approaching full. Crissa
And go back to your bike to find out it has a charger alarm that started two minutes after you plugged it in and has no more than a two minute charge when you need to use it for a long ride home. Or something like a circuit breaker popped a minute after plugged in.

I like the way Tesla does it. I can check its charge (and many other things) from anywhere in the world where I can get on-line.  That type of stuff is sometimes very handy.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »

Why does it need to be secure? It can be designed in such a way to only connect to stuff owners want to know, leaving the bike off, and TX out only.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »

If there were a charger alarm, Don, I'm stuck either way so there's no use worrying about it.  As it is, I just do the math in my head.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »

Why does it need to be secure? It can be designed in such a way to only connect to stuff owners want to know, leaving the bike off, and TX out only.

Yes, with enough software development time, anything is possible. But Zero doesn't have that many engineers to throw at projects. Also, the Gen2 MBB is not terribly capable.

I already pointed out the sign of this: they adopted a CCM telematics box that is separate from the MBB and programmed that instead of doing what you suggested. I think that means a manager considered the options, budgeted it, and decided that that was a better use of R&D budget.

octopusenvy

• Tiakina Te Taiao!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 02:04:45 PM »

On good authority, Energica are working on long range connection (LRC) much like a Tesla works...and it should be backwards compatible. The platform is there, but they are pushing hard just to meet demand for the MY 2021 bikes, so less time currently. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long :)

As for security of bluetooth, i'm not too concerned in NZ. Nothing worth doing with my metadata anyway. But the very simple code that allowed diginow chargers to work without the key along with Serial Bluetooth Connector was really great, even when limited only to bluetooth. I could walk well away from the bike or get the data thru windows and some thin walls if not too far from the charging.

While LRC and OTA comms will be great, I'd be happier with bluetooth in the interim.
From custom build, to Zero to Energica. Life is short, buy the electric bike!

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 11:28:36 AM »

I'll definitely spring for the LRC when it's available. It's difficult to charge when my bike completes its charging due to the battery pack taking several extra minutes to balance the cells. Also, I'd like to have Energica diagnose any problems from their home base.
2020 Energia Ego

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 09:42:17 PM »

Just to remind myself, I charged my bike before handing it off to a fabricator and checked Bluetooth connectivity while charging. If you stay in Bluetooth range and your phone doesn’t idle too long, the antenna stays on while the bike is in charging mode even with the key off/out.

There’s a timeout that might be configurable in the MBB. I’d guess it’s an hour offhand, which would be livable given that Bluetooth range often doesn’t exceed 30 feet or so anyway.

YMMV with older models or firmware, of course. Mine is a 2020 DSR.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 10:39:44 PM »

Just to remind myself, I charged my bike before handing it off to a fabricator and checked Bluetooth connectivity while charging. If you stay in Bluetooth range and your phone doesn’t idle too long, the antenna stays on while the bike is in charging mode even with the key off/out.

There’s a timeout that might be configurable in the MBB. I’d guess it’s an hour offhand, which would be livable given that Bluetooth range often doesn’t exceed 30 feet or so anyway.

Do you realize this is the Energica section? Its  Bluetooth is totally OFF when the key is out.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »

I have noticed that as long as the bike is charging, the bluetooth connection remains active even with the key off.
IIRC, on my SS9, the key still has to be on, but the Bluetooth will work while charging as long as the key is in and bike turned on. Once the key is out, no more Bluetooth.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 11:03:33 PM »

Do you realize this is the Energica section? Its  Bluetooth is totally OFF when the key is out.

Oh, hell. Normally I have that sorted. My bad.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »

I have noticed that as long as the bike is charging, the bluetooth connection remains active even with the key off.
IIRC, on my SS9, the key still has to be on, but the Bluetooth will work while charging as long as the key is in and bike turned on. Once the key is out, no more Bluetooth.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Damn... just noticed this is the Energica forum, NOT the Zero forum.  Apologies... ignore what I said above...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 11:49:05 PM »

You and me both, Brian...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR