• September 23, 2024, 04:23:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: SR / F damaged by rain?  (Read 4852 times)

peterwarm

• View Profile
Re: SR / F damaged by rain?
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2021, 03:32:53 AM »

I got a brand new S with NL plates on loan.

I like it, same battery, smaller motor, much lighter and nimble.  Not such acceleration, but a better range.

It has much better top speed acceleration than the Black forest I tried, which is why I went for the SRF, as the black forest seemed under powered on overtaking.  I now think the black forest demo was cooked somehow and had reduced power. Shame, I could have used the luggage!

No news of SRF coming back......
Nov 2019 Blue SR/F  doesnt like rain - 2 rebuilds now Ok
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
Underseat 13A(UK) and Type2 cables
SRS pegs / keyless rear seat and tank hatch
... fairing......?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2021, 09:41:01 PM »

Well, the Black Forest has a larger amount of air resistance than an SR/F, and a smaller motor.  It is also lighter, but that won't make enough of a difference compared to the motor.

Did you play around with the mode button?  That's usually the problem on test rides.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2022, 05:46:23 AM »

Hi instead of starting a new thread for the same issue, I'm replying to this old one.
I've ridden in rain many times with no issues on my SRS but last week I rode home in a blustery monsoon that required riding very slowly so as not to be blown off the road, and the rain was as heavy as rain can be... tropical storm level rain. The next day my bike would start charging when I connected it and then would stop. I cleared errors 31 and 43 a few times. I noticed it would still run, and was at 44SOC so I went for a ride hoping to dry it out. This worked, but the CEL lit. The manual says to clear error codes when this happens, but now there were no error codes. I used my OBD2 scanner and it showed P0AA6 "Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault".  I cleared it using the scanner and after that I had no more problems.

Anyone have any ideas or experience where water intrusion is most likely to occur, that would cause errors like that... ineligible battery and isolation faults?
I'd like to fix this so it doesn't happen again. It was thankfully merely annoying but did take up a couple hours of my time when I had other things to attend to.
Reading about P0AA6, it seems to point to where the battery HV could be shorted to the vehicle chassis by water. The DC side of the chargers, between the pack and the motor drive, and where the DC to DC converter is connected are my first guesses. I also assume it has nothing to do with the 12V side  or the charging port.   Just assuming.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:03:37 AM by 2020_SRS_Commuter »

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2022, 08:51:11 AM »

Anyone have any ideas or experience where water intrusion is most likely to occur, that would cause errors like that...

When I had this problem, after several days of intense rain, water had leaked through my "water-proof" cover and soaked the middle of the bike. I found water in my charger port and in the 12V battery cover. My 12V battery had to be removed and revived before I could get fault codes. I read that the drain for the charger port allows water to run down the wiring below the port. Since this was during the COVID pandemic, after talking to a mechanic I choose to let the bike sit an my house rather than at the shop. After several days of warm weather, the isolation faults cleared. After a few days of riding, the trouble light stayed off. To hopefully prevent this from happening again, I drilled a drain hole in the battery cover and now put a plastic bag over the storage and charge port areas in addition to a new "water-proof" cover.

I had commuted with this bike in the rain several times soon after I got it, and often commuted with my previous SR in the rain. I liked to think that this much use kept the interior warm and resistant to water penetration. It's certain that I didn't have a problem until the SR/S sat for weeks and then was soaked in a bad storm.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »

Thanks, I will look at these parts soon. I've read more about that isolation code. Turns out, in a Toyota Prius, it can be set not only by HV issues but also 12v components, such as the air conditioning compressor. So, making new assumptions here, the 12v side of a zero might also cause P0AA6.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »

I've had the same problem on my '20 SR/F - it turns out the fan units on the chargers are not waterproof. Zero are replacing them FOC out-of-warranty (to be fair it's only just out of warranty and it's been faulty since I bought it). They have a new part with which to replace them which is apparently now waterproof.

I also had a cracked and shorting busbar in the bellypan somewhere - not carrying HV but it was corroded white around the pin where the water got in. Again, seems like it must have been a manufacturing defect for a part under no stress and never seen since factory build to crack at all.

Cas :)

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2022, 10:04:32 PM »

Thats helpful, thanks! Mine is also a 2020.
At some point soon when I have worked down my stack of projects already in progress Ill take off the fairings in the garage and look it over carefully and make some changes.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2022, 12:12:57 PM »

I've had the same problem on my '20 SR/F - it turns out the fan units on the chargers are not waterproof. Zero are replacing them FOC out-of-warranty (to be fair it's only just out of warranty and it's been faulty since I bought it). They have a new part with which to replace them which is apparently now waterproof. ...

Good to know, thanks for reporting about this. That is also exactly my situation.

In my case, after two CEL alarms and consequent motor-not-starting events this year, that problem has been diagnosed July 7th (they told me they use a special software while spraying water), then a short discussion ensued to get it under warranty since my bike is even older than yours, then a couple of weeks waiting for the parts.

Luckily for me we had a very dry summer (here in Europe) thus, 7000 trouble-free km later, I am yet to take an appointment to replace these chargers.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]