• September 23, 2024, 04:33:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: SR / F damaged by rain?  (Read 4854 times)

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
Re: SR / F damaged by rain?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 04:24:13 AM »

Do you know if the new Zero SR/S has been reported to have similar issues?

Yes, the SR/S is susceptible to isolation faults. I think someone else started a thread about this, and I've responded about it. I now cover the tank and charge port area with a plastic bag under my not so "water-proof" cover  whenever there's a chance of rain or dew. I also drilled small holes in the 12V battery cover to prevent water from pooling there again.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it rains on a work day. My bike was fine riding in heavy rain the first couple of weeks after purchase. It faulted a few weeks into the COVID lockdown after an extremely heavy storm. I now check the 12V battery daily with the ZeroNG app to have some confidence that the bike is functional.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »

Just a quick update. The CEL warning has gone for a while now, and the MC seems normal. I even drove it through heavy rain and hale for a few hours, and it did not get affected.

I hope this is a good sign, but perhaps now the damage detector itself is broken, haha.

Will take it to service on 23 July, so will let you guys know what they find...

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »

For mine it also went away from time to time. I think I remember you can even remove it yourself by toggling key ignition switch 4 to 5 times when the bike is dry. Then it goes away. But in my case I would return when riding in heavy rain.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2020, 12:40:36 AM »

My own 2 cents on this topic. Got my SR/F in December, with over 10'000 km going trouble-free on it today. I have been using car washers at least 15 times until last week when I got my very first "isolation fault" error message. I finally checked the user's manual to find out that high-pressure washers were indeed to be avoided (silly me). I had the CEL warning light turned on last week for a few days but now it is gone and I will save my coins for toilets and coffee machines. I have been driving in heavy rain probably no more than two times for a total of less than 30 minutes and my bike sleeps in the dry.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »

I have been using car washers at least 15 times until last week when I got my very first "isolation fault" error message. I finally checked the user's manual to find out that high-pressure washers were indeed to be avoided (silly me).
If you're going to use a pressure washer on ANY motorcycle, read here before you do.

Much damage to even ICE motorcycles have been done because of pressure washing. Best to use a cheap low pressure washer, if you're going to use one at all on ANY motorcycle.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »

I didn't even use a pressure washer on mine to get to the issue. In my case I did start after rinsing it with a hose (with garden spray nozzle) and then returned during every heavy rain ride. It didn't show before on heavy rain rides so I think there might be a relation to that wash.
--- Belgium ---

Too little too late

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 11:06:08 PM »

Washed my “S” and started getting isolation faults. I posted here and most said it will go away in time. Returning from a three mile trip to the post office, and while making a left turn, it went dark and the rear wheel stopped turning. Almost went down. Pushed it to a parking lot, and it was like pushing thru molasses. Eddy currents in the motor, to a shorted controller. I’m only assuming the controller is shorted. Latest from the dealer (EGPS) the BMS is being replaced under warranty. I don’t think thats the only issue, but time will tell. There is some truth to the theory that it will dry out and go away in time, because I was almost there. Until suddenly I wasn’t. So riding while the lights are flashing isolation faults, might not be such a good idea. If my bike has a future, it will be fair weather and sponge baths only cuz water and electricity don’t mix.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 11:57:12 PM »

It'll drag the rear wheel in failure during heat, too.  That part is normal (and exhausting).

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »

Wow that's a bummer. Mine got eventually repaired for that insulation error. Still without errors so far, granted covid reduced my rides a lot.

It took some time to get fixed so I easily did 3.000 km including 50 and 100km rides in rain with the error popping up. Maybe I was just lucky.
--- Belgium ---

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2021, 12:10:24 AM »

The quality of Zero just does not allow rain rides without having a guilty conscience. I also had to suffer with my Zero.
Funny is only that Zero does not teach from his mistakes and now sells a motorcycle for over 20K that can only be used limited.

With my c evo now everything runs differently fortunately.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2021, 04:26:58 AM »

Dude, I just spent a week where my motorcycle didn't dry out, making several runs in pouring rain plus to locations that didn't have covered parking.  Hours in actual rain.

My Zero still works fine.  It's not use-limited.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2021, 02:27:45 PM »

Agree with crissa here. I used it for over a year (over 13k) in ALL conditions and had an issue with water infiltration once.
--- Belgium ---

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2021, 05:05:54 PM »

You just have to be able to ignore the disco lighting in the instrument cluster!
But as a Zero owner you have to accept a lot  :D

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »

What a bizarre thing to agree on.
lots of people: My Zero got wet and stopped working.
2 people: mine doesn't, so there's probably no problem, must be Water Elves or something.

Cas :)

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »

For me Zero is now already dead because Energica and Dellorto have merged and announced drives and motorcycles in the small and medium electric bike range.
So the Zero segment S and DS get strong and better competition. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5