• September 23, 2024, 06:23:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: SR / F damaged by rain?  (Read 4856 times)

Tony_

• View Profile
Re: SR / F damaged by rain?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 01:10:24 AM »

So, quick update.

I went to the dealer today. The CEL was lit when I left home, and after I did a stop on the way, it turned off before I reached the dealers repair shop. Not saying I want it to be lit, but that was bad timing for it to go off. The mechanic believed me though, however he never saw the problem before and could not tell me anything more about it. They also only sold ten Zero SR F, so I must be in the unlucky ten percent.

Hopefully CEL warnings disappearance is permanent, and perhaps some condensation still left finally dried up from inside. But the warning light went off before and then came back, so not super optimistic.

I checked the console, and since yesterday I got error 31 (Battery Module Ineligible) and error 43 (Isolation Fault).

The dealer said they will need four weeks to even look at the problem, and do not have any loaner bike service. So, that sucks. Doesn't help to have a good warranty with Zero if the dealer put you in a long queue before acting on it.

I guess I will just keep driving it while waiting for someone to check it, and hope for the best. If it doesn't break down before the winter, maybe I can just have it taken care of in the off season... Kind of disappointed though, one worry I would not expect from a MC that is advertised as nearly maintenance free.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 01:50:38 AM »

As far as I know the CEL will stay lit even if the fault disappears, until the bike has gone through a certain number of key-off and key-on cycles (5 I think). Even once the fault has gone you'll still be able to check it out in the logs and I think that's what the dealer should have done if it's an actual Zero dealer (there may be dedicated Zero servicing dealers though and it might be limited to them, I've yet to interact with any dealers). You can also do it yourself by transferring the logs through the app and then once they're on your phone uploading them to the log parser (https://zero-motorcycle-community.github.io/browser-parse/zero-log-parser.html). At the same time you can also send the logs to Zero through the app.

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 02:36:56 AM »

And my S sits out in the rain regularly, too.

What does this prove? 

-Crissa

This only proves that Zero has not learned anything from the debacle of the 2012 models 

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 03:23:06 AM »

As far as I know the CEL will stay lit even if the fault disappears, until the bike has gone through a certain number of key-off and key-on cycles (5 I think). Even once the fault has gone you'll still be able to check it out in the logs and I think that's what the dealer should have done if it's an actual Zero dealer (there may be dedicated Zero servicing dealers though and it might be limited to them, I've yet to interact with any dealers). You can also do it yourself by transferring the logs through the app and then once they're on your phone uploading them to the log parser (https://zero-motorcycle-community.github.io/browser-parse/zero-log-parser.html). At the same time you can also send the logs to Zero through the app.

I went to an official dealer and they will get the log and check it. But the service guy said they need four weeks before they have time to even download the log from the bike. Then probably they need one more month to analyze the log, then four more months to repair the MC? :'D

Not the most efficient place, but it is the only one available who knows anything about Zero here in Oslo where I live unfortunately. The MC community in Norway is small due to the short summer, and most of the bikers want something that goes wroom. So, not many options to deal with my Zero here...

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:51 AM »

You could always try emailing your logs with the phone app to support@zeromotorcycles.com
Maybe Zero HQ can take a look and give you some info

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 04:31:18 PM »

Hi Sinsro,

It really looks like you are on the same path as Hans and I (and a couple of others).
The CEL comes on once the bike gets wet (rain/washing/wet road with lots of spray) -  The CEL is frequently, but not always accompanied with Isolation Fault 43 - but the bike still runs fine as far as I could tell.
However, Hans did have issues with charging after a wet ride which was a real pain for him but seemed to clear once the bike dried out.
I never had issues with charging even with the CEL faults lighting up my console all the time - I guess I was just lucky on that point.

My bike was taken in by the dealer for repair as soon as I reported it, but it took them 121 days to get the bike back to me. It eventually had a new spiderbus, new BMS and a new battery before they gave it back. So it sounds like the water did a really good job in messing up my bike :D

It does appear that Zero are struggling to get this particular issue sorted. I don't know if it's a parts accessibility/production issue but every SR/F rider who has had this issue has seen their bike off the road for a good few weeks at best and months (4 months in my case) at worst.

What does seem pretty clear though is that we are able to ride with the issue until they call you in for repairs. I would recommend that you tell the dealer that is what you intend to do just in case there are warranty issues etc.

Oli

2022 Zero SR/F Premium

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »

Agree it is a design fault - a motorbike is expected to be driven outside.

I hope Zero will fix this. I might delay buying a SRF until this is adressed.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 11:33:34 PM »

How would we know when this is fixed? I doubt Zero is every going to admit to any design or manufacturing flaw, then come out and say "we fixed it!" If you want the bike, just get it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:13:06 AM by staples »

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 12:56:03 AM »

They fixed it twice already on mine  8) just get one and they will fix it on yours as many times as needed  8)
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 01:11:55 AM »

... for 2 years.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 02:51:56 AM »

Well i want it on the road, not at the dealership waiting for parts or services because the was some rain (which happens quite a lot over there)

How would we know when this is fixed? I doubt Zero is every going to admit to any design or manufacturing flaw, then come out and say "we fixed it!" If you want the bike, just get it.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 02:43:52 PM »

Hi Sinsro,

It really looks like you are on the same path as Hans and I (and a couple of others).
The CEL comes on once the bike gets wet (rain/washing/wet road with lots of spray) -  The CEL is frequently, but not always accompanied with Isolation Fault 43 - but the bike still runs fine as far as I could tell.
However, Hans did have issues with charging after a wet ride which was a real pain for him but seemed to clear once the bike dried out.
I never had issues with charging even with the CEL faults lighting up my console all the time - I guess I was just lucky on that point.

My bike was taken in by the dealer for repair as soon as I reported it, but it took them 121 days to get the bike back to me. It eventually had a new spiderbus, new BMS and a new battery before they gave it back. So it sounds like the water did a really good job in messing up my bike :D

It does appear that Zero are struggling to get this particular issue sorted. I don't know if it's a parts accessibility/production issue but every SR/F rider who has had this issue has seen their bike off the road for a good few weeks at best and months (4 months in my case) at worst.

What does seem pretty clear though is that we are able to ride with the issue until they call you in for repairs. I would recommend that you tell the dealer that is what you intend to do just in case there are warranty issues etc.

Oli

Thank you for sharing your experience. It looks clear to me I should just ride the MC until the end of the season, then let them have it in for repair for as long as they want over the winter. Perhaps by that time, Zero has also figured out a way to make the repairs more permanent by using new waterproofed replacement parts? Probably not, but staying optimistic.

The way it looks now, it seems I should get a new MC before the warranty wears off. Being unable to ride it for extended periods of time is a hassle, but if you also add a periodic weather dependent large repair cost on top of that then it is really better to just get another MC.

Do you know if the new Zero SR/S has been reported to have similar issues? If so, I guess the only safe choice is to find another E-MC manufacturer...

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 02:48:13 PM »

They fixed it twice already on mine  8) just get one and they will fix it on yours as many times as needed  8)

Just as successful as someone I know who has become really good at quitting smoking, haha.

Tony_

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

You could always try emailing your logs with the phone app to support@zeromotorcycles.com
Maybe Zero HQ can take a look and give you some info
Do you know how to get to the logs in the zero next gen app? I remember it was in the support section of the old app, but cant find it anywhere in the new one... Maybe I am blind :P

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »

3rd tab at bottom "prestaties" in Dutch where you manage dashboard and riding modes.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5