• September 29, 2024, 07:22:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Battery care question  (Read 1709 times)

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
Battery care question
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:08:39 PM »

Maximum longevity - How should the Energica battery be cared for?

80/20 rule - I’ve normally followed this rule,
i.e. keep the battery SOC between 80% and 20%.

If I do charge above 80%, as the charge finishes, I normally ride straight away thus never leaving it in a high state of charge.

~~~~~

Manual for 17 Eva -

Page 91 - “Correct Battery Maintenance”
  Advises to discharge to 0%, then charge within 24 hours.
  The entry begins - “It is recommended....”

Page 96 - “Charging the battery”
  Advises to charge to 100%.
The entry begins - “For optimum performance...”
Furthermore - this entry states - ‘WARNING! An incorrect remaining range value may be indicated if all the instructions given in the chapters “Correct battery maintenance” and “Charging the battery” are not followed correctly.’

~~~~~

To 100%, I’ve observed the battery seems to only balance only when fully charging per the displayed message at around 98%, never at any other %.
Also - I sometimes notice when balancing, to fully attain 100%, it takes longer. (This behavior is correct per “Charging the battery” information.

LPR - Bike display - When activated, nothing is displayed so I can’t say for sure the battery optimized at 80%.

~~~~~

What’s correct for maximum longevity?
Follow the 80/20 rule or the manual without fail?

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Battery care question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 12:10:39 AM »

Follow the 80/20 rule. I believe the manual needs revision.

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 02:16:13 AM »

MVetter - Thanks for your input.

Manual revision is in order?

Any value in the following info? - Lex Summer’s Youtube - titled - “More performance and range, how to calibrate your battery on Energica”. 
I saw his info/video originally highlighted on the latest Energica newsletter - Rider-E   May 2, 2020.  (Side note - Rider-E  newsletter - it’s informative).

MotoE series - Any idea what battery care/maintenance is being performed on all the Energica race bikes?

What prompted me to review the manual ask questions is because of Lex's video.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »

Up until a couple years ago, Zero manual said that as soon as you uncrated the motorcycle, it should be plugged in to the outlet.
Any time that the motorcycle was not being ridden, it should be plugged in to the wall. If These instructions weren't followed, you
could void your warranty. All recent editions have been re written. Trying to find one of my ORIGINAL USB Thumb drives.
If anyone has one, check it out.

frank_b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »

The dealer said: follow the manual, everything is logged and if you deviate from the manual you could void your warranty.

So simple: to be safe follow the manual and if the battery fails you have warranty.

The BMS should take care of things, we are also not sure if 100% charge (which is bad if you leave it to long at 100%) is in real life 100%. Maybe the BMS keeps it at a lower charge and gives only a display of 100% and 0% is not really 0% (it's not after reset you can still drive a little bit)
Without knowledge how the BMS exactly works, just follow the manual.

Energica can make changes to BMS via updates so we have to trust things will be ok. 

Maybe new app will give more information.
Energica EVA Ribelle (Stealth Grey)

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »

For the 20/80 rule, what would be an appropriate way of taking care of cell balancing then? Charge to 100% once per month? once per week? Once per year? (or once per xxxkm)?

Thanks!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »

The dealer said: follow the manual, everything is logged and if you deviate from the manual you could void your warranty.

So simple: to be safe follow the manual and if the battery fails you have warranty.

The BMS should take care of things, we are also not sure if 100% charge (which is bad if you leave it to long at 100%) is in real life 100%. Maybe the BMS keeps it at a lower charge and gives only a display of 100% and 0% is not really 0% (it's not after reset you can still drive a little bit)
Without knowledge how the BMS exactly works, just follow the manual.

Energica can make changes to BMS via updates so we have to trust things will be ok. 

Maybe new app will give more information.

I will say this much, the maximum voltage at the SOC of 100% on my 2014 Zero S was 117 volts, while the voltage of my 2018 S is 115 volts. So I think that Zero has been taking steps to insulate their battery packs a bit from the impact of being left at a maximum charge for too long - like I do with my bike.  :-[
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:23:57 AM »

For the 20/80 rule, what would be an appropriate way of taking care of cell balancing then? Charge to 100% once per month? once per week? Once per year? (or once per xxxkm)?

Thanks!

Once a month should be fine. Also charging to 100% is not necessarily bad provided it does not stay there very long. One really nice thing about these bikes is you can easily set a targeted SoC. Last night I set mine to 80% and went to bed. Easy.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:55:47 AM »

Also charging to 100% is not necessarily bad provided it does not stay there very long.

With 'very long' would you mean what for example?

Or otherwise asked - charging up to 100% in the evening once a week and using the bike the next morning - would you say this is very long?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:09:45 AM by enaef »
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:02:34 AM »

Once a month should be fine. Also charging to 100% is not necessarily bad provided it does not stay there very long. One really nice thing about these bikes is you can easily set a targeted SoC. Last night I set mine to 80% and went to bed. Easy.
What I would like to know is about the warning when FAST CCS charged above 80% that says do not disconnect until finished, for the balancing.

Is it okay to disconnect at 90% many times in a row as long as it is completed once in a while, such as every six or so charges to full?

I assume it does NOT really have to balance every time over 80%. And IMO, it  makes little sense as there is no warning about disconnecting at 60% and there is still no balancing done until near the end of being fully charged. So what is the difference?

So how important is it to NOT disconnect when it says not to?  What is the difference in balancing when disconnected at 60% compared to 90%? Is there any difference? If not, why the warning near the full charge?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 02:07:26 AM »

Up until a couple years ago, Zero manual said that as soon as you uncrated the motorcycle, it should be plugged in to the outlet.
Any time that the motorcycle was not being ridden, it should be plugged in to the wall. If These instructions weren't followed, you
could void your warranty. All recent editions have been re written. Trying to find one of my ORIGINAL USB Thumb drives.
If anyone has one, check it out.

Yikes don’t do that, even with your cell phone!
I think it was a lot more than 2 years ago Zero stopped that recommendation.

30-70 is supposed to be even better than 20-80 and 40-60 better still.
Cell balancing takes a long time on a Zero as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:21:26 AM by heroto »

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 02:08:26 AM »

2014 ZeroSR has pointed out Lex Summers video

May I ask about a specific point:
For recalibration / reballancing the battery he recommends to deplete the battery completely. Then to turn off the bike, turn on again and deplete it once more. The same procedure for two to three times, until the bike does not move anymore.
After that IMMEDIATE charging of the battery with slow AC up to 100%.

Is this save?
Does it really help?
Does it work for other batteries than the Energicas?
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 02:13:22 AM »

Or otherwise asked - charging up to 100% in the evening once a week and using the bike the next morning - would you say this is very long?
IMO, that is fine. Just don't leave it fully charged for several weeks in a row.

The shorter the time left fully charged the better, so where we want to draw the line may vary depending on whom asked.

I often FULLY charge to 100%  the night before on any of my four EVs when I expect to use it on a long trip in the morning.

My battery on my Zero DS crapped out during warranty, but it was charged much the same way as my SR battery which is the same age and is still as good as new. Smaller batteries normally don't last as long on similar loads.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 02:17:43 AM »

I think it was a lot more than 2 years ago Zero stopped that recommendation.
Zero STILL has the recommendation for the older batteries.

It's only the newer batteries (2016 and later?) that they say store at a 60% charge. The older batteries are still to be charged to 100% at all times stored.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 02:31:44 AM »

Here's a fun way to think about it. There are 8760 hours in a year. How many of those hours is your battery above 80 and below 20? For me, because I'm pretty paranoid about it, probably under 200. I suspect a lot of people leave it over 80 and under 20 for more than half the year. That will add up.
Pages: [1] 2 3