• September 28, 2024, 09:35:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why have you chosen Energica?  (Read 2712 times)

Ferrari_Challenge

• View Profile
Re: Why have you chosen Energica?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »

Well I guess it's my turn to weigh in. Last summer I was in Austin Texas where the dealer is that sells both zero and Energica., I was very intrigued with the electric bikes since I also I am a tesla owner and investor. With the Tesla experience I felt that I knew what I needed to know about charging and traveling under the charging scenarios. My bikes at that time included an MV Augusta, a Aprilia Tuano, a multi-Strada, and a Motus. You've probably noticed most of them are Italian, and you can tell I like Italian things given my screen name because I race challenge cars.  The funny thing was I went to test a zero and rode it thought it was kind of fun but then looked over and saw a brand new Motus sitting on the showroom and rode it and bought it on the spot, so much for the search for an electric bike. Oddly I was uncomfortable with the fact that my girth made riding the Eva uncomfortable and I decided to start working out and lose some weight with a goal of 60 pounds in a year. Around New Year's I saw a used Eva with 800 miles in fully decked out appear at a dealer in Austin. I drove up there on New Year's Eve and test drove the bike and having lost about 30 pounds felt very comfortable on it and was just very blown away. We made a deal and I brought it home that day and it has since completely replaced my other bikes when I come out the garage and pick what I'm going to ride for that day. I'm planning to keep this one for about a year and then upgrade to a Ribelle because to ride out to my home in the country is about 65 miles and I'd like to be able to do it without having to stop and charge. With the other Italian bikes to compare it to I am very delighted with the build quality and the absolute smooth speed which is like driving a Tesla. I feel very comfortable seated and I've had no mechanical issues with it in the 3000 miles that I've put on. Also I sent a text to their California headquarters and got a callback from the US president and later the service manager to welcome me to the family and answer all my questions. It's a little bit like being with Ferrari and being part of the family once you're in. I did test drive a LiveWire before I bought this one and I liked everything about it the build quality and the seating position were great but but the LiveWire had significant software issues that affected my ride and a couple of the other guys of the group of eight that we're all test riding with me, I concluded that they weren't ready for prime time and while I may own one in the future it will have to have a bigger battery and I'll have to feel comfortable that the software problems are shorted out. As far as zeros go I have no interest t now! For the time being I just trailer the Eva out to the country and put in a level two charger in the barn and now I'm happy as a clam out here with it.

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »

I had my eye on the Zero partly because I have a dealer of this brand near me, I had done a test drive with the SR/F back in February and was convinced to purchase it. Then there was the corona problem and all the dealers were closed and I had a lot of time to surf the internet. I started reading more and more about Energica and then went to see the models on YT and was immediately sold on the appearance alone.  Then I delved further into the technical aspect with the cooling and fast charging, I had already forgotten Zero :) . My first choice was the Ego but that does not allow my physical condition anymore so for me the logical choice was the Ribelle because I still have the possibility to adjust the handlebar if this proves necessary and looks slightly sportier than the SS9. The Ribelle has now been ordered and I am waiting for it to be delivered.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »

Which accessories are available for the Ribelle?

-Don-  Reno,  NV

Quite a few. The options I ordered for mine include:
  • windscreen
  • side bags with red logo plate...same side cases as the EsseEsse9
  • keyless ignition
  • heated grips
  • red ergal bolt kit

Other options that I can remember but didn't order include:
  • Ohlins suspension front & rear
  • lighter wheels
  • carbon fiber fenders and body work
  • different colored ergal bolt kits
  • different color side case plates
  • branded bike cover
  • rear wheel stand and bobbins
  • front wheel stand

Just out of curiosity, what benefits does keyless offer? I mean, it's nice not having to put the key in the ignition - but if you're within in range isn't it a slight concern someone might jump on it and ride away? Not sure what the range is on the keyless.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 04:12:01 AM »

On my Honda there's a button on the fob to disable the key, so if you're, say, sipping espresso in your flip-flops at a table on the Riviera somewhere, some scrote can't just run up to your nearby scoot and make off with it.

There are no real benefits to it to be honest, it's just another widget to go wrong.

Cas :)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2020, 04:42:46 AM »

On my Honda there's a button on the fob to disable the key, so if you're, say, sipping espresso in your flip-flops at a table on the Riviera somewhere, some scrote can't just run up to your nearby scoot and make off with it.

There are no real benefits to it to be honest, it's just another widget to go wrong.

I disagree. I have keyless on my BMW RS and I thought it wouldn't be of much use. However, I have a tendency of leaving my key in my ignition when I leave my bike.  With the keyless fob never leaving my pocket, I no longer have to worry about that, at least on that motorcycle.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2020, 05:04:10 AM »

My Harley has it, and I love it. Just get off the bike and a few feet away it cannot be started until you get back on.

However, I did have one problem with mine, caused by a weak battery in the FOB. I could NOT start the bike with the FOB in my pocket and it also would NOT let me enter my six digit PIN number (which should mean I  can start the bike without the FOB).

So what I did is put the FOB far from the bike (several yards) and then it asked for my PIN. I put in the pin, picked back up my FOB,  rode home and then changed the FOB battery and now all is fine.

While it could be "another widget to go wrong" IMO, it's safer than a key immobilizer because no key or FOB is needed after it is set up with your own six digit pin.

I wish all my bikes had a FOB that worked like my Harley FOB.

BTW, the FOB was about the only thing I liked about the Harley LW.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2020, 05:41:45 AM »

I do rather like it myself - my X-Adv is keyless - but at the end of the day it's another battery that will one day conk out at the most inconvenient moment, or a transponder that will break 200 miles from home in the pissing rain. Nice ... while it works. Not sure it's really added much useful to the experience of motorcycling.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2020, 06:08:40 AM »

On my BMW you get a warning wrench on the bike's instrument display a few months before the battery in the FOB give up. I uses a standard battery that can be purchase just about anywhere.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2020, 06:13:19 AM »

I do rather like it myself - my X-Adv is keyless - but at the end of the day it's another battery that will one day conk out at the most inconvenient moment, or a transponder that will break 200 miles from home in the pissing rain. Nice ... while it works. Not sure it's really added much useful to the experience of motorcycling.

But if the FOB  thingy craps out, can you use another way to start, such as the 6 digit pin number that my Harley has?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 06:23:41 AM »

There is some crazy code entry thing involving phoning Mrs. P. up and asking her to dig up the user manual. I hope to never need it.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »

There is some crazy code entry thing involving phoning Mrs. P. up and asking her to dig up the user manual. I hope to never need it.

That's probably that PIN code. You want to set that up. I did mine on the day I got my Harley. And then made sure it worked without a FOB nearby. That means I don't have to worry about the FOB to ride, it will just be a minor inconvenience to put in the code to start the bike after every time I stop the engine if the FOB is lost or craps out or whatever.

MRS. P might not be home or perhaps not be able to find the manual or whatever, when needed the most.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 11:32:51 AM »

I now play the ant fucker  ;) ,  I own 6 Harley's and also build them, the pincode is 5 not 6 digits. Also you can force the pincode to show or use with the fob in your pocket, the battery must not be dead to use the code. Furthermore, I'd rather have a key than the fob, you must have both with you,  but 4 of my 6 own Harley's have the fob because they are recent models and you can not choose as with the Energica.  That was all I wanted to say  :)
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what benefits does keyless offer? I mean, it's nice not having to put the key in the ignition - but if you're within in range isn't it a slight concern someone might jump on it and ride away? Not sure what the range is on the keyless.
The only real benefit is convenience...when it works. I’ve had keyless ignition on a couple of my previous bikes, a Ducati Diavel and a Victory Cross Country Tour.

On the Ducati, sometimes the bike wouldn’t recognize the fob and left me fiddling with the remote and positioning a few times for about 5-10 minutes. I chalked it up to interference of some kind since it always happened at gas stations. The Victory was flawless the entire time.

Since I commute daily on my bikes as well as occasional weekend rides, I just really like the convenience of not fiddling with a key, other than that, like I said no real benefit IMHO.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »

I own 6 Harley's and also build them, the pincode is 5 not 6 digits.
I cannot speak for other Harleys, but mine (listed below) is six digits.

Also you can force the pincode to show or use with the fob in your pocket,
How is that done?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2020, 10:23:34 AM »

Energica keyless system uses a proximity keyfob to send a signal to a receiver connected to the ignition. When the ignition button is pressed the receiver looks for a valid key fob in it's proximity. If it finds one the bike will turn on and be able to drive.

If the battery runs down on the key fob it will still function but the transmission range will be reduced. Holding the fob (or one of the other standard keys) a few mm away from the receiver will allow the bike to turn on. Receiver location is listed in the owner's manual as it varies depending on the bike model.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4