• September 28, 2024, 09:38:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why have you chosen Energica?  (Read 2713 times)

heroto

• View Profile
Why have you chosen Energica?
« on: May 06, 2020, 12:24:43 AM »

Energica has competition. Why did you chose their product over the competition?
Thanks.

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Why have you chosen Energica?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 01:45:08 AM »

Fast charging. I had reached the upper limits on my Zero SR (1 hour full charge) and the bike had thermal limitations. If I wanted to truly ride all day, stopping to charge of course, I had to limit myself to 60mph or the batteries would reach thermal limit and shut down. The Energica SS9 I bought does not have this problem. It charges in under 30 minutes and I can ride at 75 from station to station. All. Day. Long.

It's quite a bit more powerful but that's just a side perk.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 05:05:59 AM »

At the time I was shopping for an electric motorcycle, Zero and Energica were the only options. Neither HD's LiveWire nor Lightning's Strike were available for test rides.

After riding the Zero and Energica models my choices boiled down to the Zero SR/F and Energica EsseEsse9.

The DC fast charging and "feel" of the Energica on the road swung my decision to them instead of Zero. As a matter of fact, I like my EsseEsse9 so much I ordered a Ribelle to go along with it and sold my Triumph Trophy to make room for it since I only have room for 2 bikes in my garage.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:48 PM »

Fast charging. I have done multi-day trips on both my Zero SR and my Energica Eva 107. Would never do another road trip with the SR and have since gotten rid of it. Energica has faster L2 charging than the Livewire. Lightning has no dealers on the east coast and not willing to fly to the west coast, get a hotel and rental car just to test ride a Lightning. If Lightning really wanted to sell bikes they would have dealers.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »

I'd be buying the Energica over the SR/F except for the weight... I just can't heft the thing about or pick it up if it falls over. So I'm stuck waiting for one to get lighter or the other to get DCFC... whichever comes soonest.

Cas :)

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »

Choose Energica for build quality and riding feel (+ equipment/range/performance vs SRF, I owned a Zero S before). Power delivery (I quickly felt the power cut off on the SRF during my test drive, although SOC was > 60%). Larger battery.... And potential reliabity. Although we don't have official statistics, you will see that the Zero part of this forum is full of posts about SRF having issues in the wet with long repair time,... Seems they still need to iron out some reliability issues. This is important for me because I usually ride in all weather.
 So far there is very little report of failure on the Energicas (OK obviously the user base is smaller). The ones reported typically highlight strong repair support...

Also here in Belgium the price of a premium SRF with extra charger is barely 1000 Euro below the Energica Eva Ribelle (so basically more expensive than the SS9+!). For me for this very similar price then there is no arguing: indeed in terms of build quality, equipment, overall performance, charging capability, range...the Eva is above.

Weight maybe is a bit higher but I am quite tall and I don't see where really this will be a problem. The SRF is not exactly super light. In contrast to the S/DS range, which are indeed very light and might be a better choice if weight is a main concern.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »

I'd be buying the Energica over the SR/F except for the weight... I just can't heft the thing about or pick it up if it falls over. So I'm stuck waiting for one to get lighter or the other to get DCFC... whichever comes soonest.

According to Energica, the 2020 SS9 with the big battery is lighter than the prior versions with the smaller battery, 570 lbs.
SR/F weighs 500 lbs. So that difference is smaller now.

Please keep this thread on focus with opinions from actual buyers. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:01:00 PM by heroto »

SebfromBE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 08:47:15 PM »

According to Energica, the 2020 SS9 with the big battery is lighter than the prior versions with the smaller battery, 570 lbs.
SR/F weighs 500 lbs. So that difference is smaller now.

Indeed, from my point of view if weight is a concerns, then => Look at S/DS (or FX!) line.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 10:42:32 PM »

Energica has competition. Why did you chose their product over the competition?
Thanks.
The reverse as well as the choice of charging. And the performance. And the comfort. There are many CCS charge stations between my house here in Reno and my house in Auburn, CA (99 miles of hills). There is also a lot of J1772 stations I can use.

I modified a granny cable so it is small. I also bring a Tesla Tap. I can charge from just about anywhere from a 120 or 240 VAC outlet or a Tesla Destination charger as well as J-1772 and CCS. And all the stuff fits in one side bag.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »

I cannot pick up my Zero SR when it falls over, see here.

The Energica, even though heavier, should be easier to pick up if it falls over. This is because I don't think it will fall as flat as the Zeros.  When picking up a bike, there is a lot more to it than weight. I expect my heaviest bike, my 1,000 lbs Harley, would NOT be that difficult to get back up. My  Zero was impossible to get back up without some type of help, yet it is one of my lighter bikes.

But you can add crash bars on Zeros, which I assume will help in getting the bike back up, as then it should not fall as flat. When the handle bar touches the ground, you can expect it will be difficult to get back up.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 02:19:13 AM »

But you can add crash bars on Zeros, which I assume will help in getting the bike back up, as then it should not fall as flat. When the handle bar touches the ground, you can expect it will be difficult to get back up.

I have witnessed crash bars folding on a fallen Zero.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 06:23:39 AM »

I have witnessed crash bars folding on a fallen Zero.
The ones Zero sells? Sounds like they need to be redesigned.

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Goetzuwe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »

I had no experience with motorcycles so I compare the physical Parameter.
Since the data capacity of the battery and charging speed are greater than with Zero, so I order an Energica Esseesse9+. A Harley is just too expensive and the data was no better. Another machine was not available / I did not find it.
Energica SS9+ driver in Germany

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:59:10 AM »

I had no experience with motorcycles so I compare the physical Parameter.
Since the data capacity of the battery and charging speed are greater than with Zero, so I order an Energica Esseesse9+. A Harley is just too expensive and the data was no better. Another machine was not available / I did not find it.
If I were to buy a new electric bike, I would be deciding between the Zero SR/S Premium and the Energica SS9+ and Ribelle.

The above Zero charges twice as fast (6.x KW) on J1772 than any model of Energica and has a centerstand and frame mounted fairing. And great luggage selections.

But the Eneriga has very fast CCS charging (above 25 KW on DC but only 3.x KW on J1772). But the Energica has a reverse. AFAIK, no way to add a centerstand. And better slower speed range (not so sure about higher speeds).

And more luggage choices on the Zero SR/S.  They have a very nice one all fixed up here in Reno at Eurocycles, with all the best luggage stuff. If I didn't already own ten bikes, I would have bought it.

I never trade any in. I keep all my vehicles until they are not worth repairing.

The two electric bikes I would NOT consider are the Zero SR/F and the HD livewire.

But anyway, that is me, not you. There are many models and choices for good reasons.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ALCLCF

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »

1º owner feedback regarding reliability, quality and Energica post sale support.

2º capable of DC fast charging

3º Could handle a "beating" (for example a trip, with multiple consecutive charges in a highway run) without having overheat issues.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4