• September 29, 2024, 11:42:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SS9 ohlins upgrade?  (Read 469 times)

heroto

• View Profile
SS9 ohlins upgrade?
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:37:35 AM »

From a practical standpoint what does the upgrade get you?

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Re: SS9 ohlins upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:05:21 AM »

Better riders than me can correct me but I believe the biggest advantage of the Ohlins is a greater range of adjustability...at least on the rear. I'm not so sure what the benefits are on the front forks, maybe better compression and rebound? In general Ohlins is usually considered a top tier suspension component but I would argue you have to be a very good rider doing more than freeway droning and sweepers to notice an improvement over the stock suspension bits.

That being said, if I had the option at time of purchase to get just an Ohlins rear, I would have done so. I've had to nearly max out the Bitubo to keep my SS9 from pogoing like crazy over bumps (it doesn't help that I'm 250lbs not including gear).

Then again, since Ohlins are available aftermarket (as well as other brands), you can always add the forks and rear shock later if you find the default components don't perform well enough for you. No need to jump into Ohlins right off the bat unless you know for sure the default suspension won't work for you.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »

Thanks for that response. I see a pattern.  Rear two thumbs up, front maybe maybe not shows up frequently on forums for other motos. I have an Ohlins upgrade on my CRF250L. Rear upgrade is fantastic compared to the OEM. Front is mixed. Ohlins only offered two fork spring options and no preload adjustment. So if you're heavy or light, Ohlins has a spring for you. If you are in the middle, not so optimal, and maybe even the OEM might have been better.
So, Yo: Energica, please offer just a rear Ohlins option.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:09:45 AM by heroto »

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »

I also hear good feedback on a Hyperpro for the rear, bit more affordable.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »

I used to race, an Ohlins was important for me and it was an added value, but for ordinary street use it is an absurd extra cost. So if you don't plan on doing trackdays, it's useless. 90% of motorcyclists do not use the bike at full power and limits. This is just my opinion.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special
Pages: [1]