• April 23, 2024, 10:48:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS 1 - Harley 0  (Read 891 times)

Kafn8td

• View Profile
FXS 1 - Harley 0
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »

Sitting at a stop light in complete and utter silence when I hear a Harley coming up from behind.  He does the customary revving of the engine as he comes to a stop in the lane next to me.  He looks over and said what's that?  I told him it was a Zero, electric motorcycle.  I think he then said "cute toy" and began to rev his engine. 

When the light turned green, I pinned the throttle as did he.  I shut it down at about 50 and he was still trying to catch me.  As he went by he gave me the finger!  haha

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: FXS 1 - Harley 0
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »

Well he was busy saving so many lives with loud pipes, until you ruined it all... so I think his rude hand gesture towards you was well earned.

Next time be prepared and truly impress the HD "Hero":
https://nypost.com/2016/06/27/those-ice-cream-truck-jingles-are-keeping-new-yorkers-up-at-night/amp/
“I love the sound of an ice cream truck jingle— it’s nostalgic. I would vote for ban on Harley Davidson volume before ice cream truck jingles. It’s unfair to single-out jingles,”

http://www.nicholselectronicsco.com/Product/omni-2-music-box
Be prepared, be ready, loud songs for ice cream trucks save lives!

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:41:39 PM »

I do this every day! It is quite satisfying! Love to hear the sound of a bagger crashing into 2nd gear trying to catch me!

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 02:17:11 AM »

I just love it. Beating everyone off the line and turning them into mirror specks. After checking for wayward cross traffic, of course! And without even exceeding the speed limit (by much). Others can catch up and pass if they care to. The Harley rabbits invariably fly by at 20 over, so that's some ticket protection.

Glad there is no acceleration limit. Maybe it could be considered "exhibition of speed"? But an officer would be laughed out of court if the judge saw a picture of the little dirt bike. :)

All the time, every time, bikes and motorcycles. I'm sure there are some pros out there who can shift properly, but I have yet to see one. I'm already well on my way when I hear people's car engines auto-starting. I live in the land of Teslas where it's 5% of cars, but virtually all Tesla drivers are very slow off the line -- I can't explain that.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 02:37:26 AM »

I think a lot of us have a similar story. In mine, though, when I eased off the throttle and started burning off speed, the Harley rider eventually went by me....without even a glance my direction, as if to say "That wasn't a race, I could take you if I was trying". Ha. We both knew the truth.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:55 AM »

Glad there is no acceleration limit. Maybe it could be considered "exhibition of speed"? But an officer would be laughed out of court if the judge saw a picture of the little dirt bike. :)

All the time, every time, bikes and motorcycles. I'm sure there are some pros out there who can shift properly, but I have yet to see one. I'm already well on my way when I hear people's car engines auto-starting. I live in the land of Teslas where it's 5% of cars, but virtually all Tesla drivers are very slow off the line -- I can't explain that.
I totally agree with your post -- and others in this thread. They reflect the way I mostly ride (though sometimes I'm feeling laid back and don't even lane-split at stop lights). Back to the point, I'm guessing you (we) could be ticketed for reckless driving.

Living in the Bay Area, CA, US, I see dozens of Teslas every day. And, yeah, I always wonder that I've yet to see a single one push max acceleration off the line.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:39 AM »

I've got some vids of basically the same thing, idk what it is about the Harley group-mentality pissing matches.

Though, I've had an equal amount of harley dudes think the zero was cool

The same goes for mustang or rice car dudes, they're making all this racket at 30mph when I get to 70. Anyone miss their clutch / transmission and shifting in general after riding a Zero for a few years?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:42:08 AM »

I have actually been pulled over for 'display of speed' but the police officer let me off when I explained it was the first time I was driving my dad's truck with the towing gears and had to get it home and didn't really have the feel for it yet.

I don't think that excuse will work on the zero ^-^;

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »

2 years ago on my 12.5 DS at night waiting for a stoplight.
A BMW gs 1200 stopping next to me, revving the engine. Ofcourse my DS looks small compared to that piece of german engineering and gs in EU do not greet other brands, accept other gs riders.
At the green go, I pinned the go handle and somewhere behind me I hear ICE-man really working the bimmer hard. At 120 kp/h I thought it was enough and he did everthing he could to pass me by with the greatest possible noise/speed. haha!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:38:19 PM by buutvrij for life »
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »

I have actually been pulled over for 'display of speed' but the police officer let me off when I explained it was the first time I was driving my dad's truck with the towing gears and had to get it home and didn't really have the feel for it yet.

I don't think that excuse will work on the zero ^-^;

-Crissa

Can you explain the circumstances that led to you getting pulled over for display of speed?  I've heard of it for doing wheelies or spinning tires, but I feel like it would be unlikely to be charged with that for silently pulling away with full throttle as long as you let off at or near the speed limit.

Side note - I launch from just about every stop light.  My biggest concern is making sure that cross traffic stops and nobody is running a red light trying to get through a second or two after it turns.  Stay safe, everyone.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 07:33:17 PM »

My biggest concern is making sure that cross traffic stops and nobody is running a red light trying to get through a second or two after it turns.  Stay safe, everyone.

I almost got nailed the other day by a driver burning the left-turn red light in the opposite direction. I was splitting lanes so I wanted to pull out quickly and get in front of the cars next to me. It looked like the left-turning cars coming the other direction were finished, so I jumped on the throttle....then one older woman decided to go through the red light. I grabbed the brakes and got around her; she waved as she went by to apologize. 'Cause if she'd killed me, that would be mitigated by her being sorry.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »

My biggest concern is making sure that cross traffic stops and nobody is running a red light trying to get through a second or two after it turns.  Stay safe, everyone.

I almost got nailed the other day by a driver burning the left-turn red light in the opposite direction. I was splitting lanes so I wanted to pull out quickly and get in front of the cars next to me. It looked like the left-turning cars coming the other direction were finished, so I jumped on the throttle....then one older woman decided to go through the red light. I grabbed the brakes and got around her; she waved as she went by to apologize. 'Cause if she'd killed me, that would be mitigated by her being sorry.

I am seeing more and more of that type of driving lately.  Recently, I had a woman stop inches behind me in a cloud of tire and brake smoke when she failed to notice me stopped at a red traffic light.
And then two weeks later I had a similar experience, but in this case I was stopped at (of all things) the same intersection in the left lane. This time two cars passed my in the right lane and both drove through the stop signal, right before someone in the opposing street started to cross.
Another time I saw a group of 20 motorcyclists riding together just blow through a traffic light so that they could stay with the "leader of the pack" without having to stop.  Fortunately, the cars that were crossing the intersection did stop and wait for them to finish their parade.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:53:28 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »

Can you explain the circumstances that led to you getting pulled over for display of speed?  I've heard of it for doing wheelies or spinning tires, but I feel like it would be unlikely to be charged with that for silently pulling away with full throttle as long as you let off at or near the speed limit.
Display of speed is a type of reckless.  The idea is that you're paying so much attention to your speed rather than being cautious of things around you.  It's hard to prove, but in most western states, there is a legal presumption that officers' are giving truthful testimony.

Anyhow, chirping tires, shooting ahead, making noise can all be signs, it doesn't have to be speeding.  When I was pulled over in the truck, I'd clipped a curb on the driveway and chirped the tires twice but never even met the speed limit.  I don't think the Zero is really doing it, since I don't have to pay attention to anything to 'go fast'.  That's just what it does.  But you never know what a cop is going to do.  My last two tickets the officers flat-out lied (and one I caught in the lie in court but the Magister didn't even care.)  I really need to get some cameras.

I have been super-careful to look at the driver I slip in front of while lane-splitting and look both ways before jolting into an intersection.  Don't want to be plowed by someone running late on a light!  I know they're driven by humans and it happens.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]