• April 24, 2024, 06:22:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Tank Trunk Lid Replacement Campaign  (Read 1161 times)

Auriga

• View Profile
SR/F Tank Trunk Lid Replacement Campaign
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:52:25 PM »

My dealer just reached out to me and said Zero is replacing the tank trunk lid for free in November.

Really excited to get that issue resolved, and it's great that Zero is owning up to it. :)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: SR/F Tank Trunk Lid Replacement Campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:06:18 AM »

I've heard it mentioned, but what was the issue?  I didn't notice anything when I was in the dealer poking around at them.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 12:26:41 AM »

I've heard it mentioned, but what was the issue?  I didn't notice anything when I was in the dealer poking around at them.

The front of the lid was not flush with the tank on initial models (only recently fixed).  It's pretty ugly once you see it.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:27:38 AM »

I wonder if this will require a trip to dealer or if they will send us the parts for a DIY.

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:22 AM »

My dealer just reached out to me and said Zero is replacing the tank trunk lid for free in November.

Really excited to get that issue resolved, and it's great that Zero is owning up to it. :)

Is this something that you had an open case with your dealer/Zero for, or they just randomly reached out to you? I just emailed my dealer to see if they know about this and can get me scheduled to have the lid on my bike swapped out too. (and for them to reach out to Zero if they had not heard about it)
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 03:22:12 AM »

The dealer reached out, kinda out of the blue, but they said Zero wasn't doing it until November, So I'll have to wait

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 04:30:17 AM »

I wonder if this will require a trip to dealer or if they will send us the parts for a DIY.

I like my dealer, but a DIY would be great!  It's 75 minute drive for me, kind of a pain (I know it's nothing compared to what others have).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:09:54 AM »

I got this email from Zero today:

Dear Zero SR/F Motorcycle Owner,

Zero Motorcycles focuses on balancing performance, range, weight, and affordability to build the best electric motorcycles that are available for customers to ride today. Quality starts in Zero’s design process, is carried through manufacturing and is supported through its service department. Every motorcycle that Zero releases to the public is the result of a coordinated effort among each department at Zero. But we are not perfect. We recognize that the fit between the tank trunk lid and the tank on the 2020 model year Zero SR/F was not perfect, and so we are taking steps to support owners that find the fitment objectionable.

We are announcing an upgrade offer whereby owners of Zero SR/F motorcycles, built prior to August 13, 2019 when we implemented a production line improvement, can have the tank trunk lid upgraded by their dealer, and we will cover the cost of parts and labor in that replacement. Replacement tank trunk lids will become available in November 2019. We ask you to coordinate with your dealer to have them complete this upgrade during your next visit. Please be sure to contact them in advance so that they can order the replacement tank trunk lid and have it available when you arrive. The tank trunk lid assembly part number varies depending on whether you have a Boardwalk Red motorcycle (p/n 24-08597-30) or a Seabright Blue motorcycle (p/n 24-08597-31).

While the upgrade takes less than one hour to complete, it’s a good time to have your dealer perform a regular inspection and so you may want to plan for them to complete this work as well. Every dealership manages their own service backlog. And so confirming the timing directly with them will ensure the upgrade goes smoothly.

We believe that Zero Motorcycles should stand up to the highest level of scrutiny, and we are confident that your motorcycle will be able to do that following this upgrade.

Regards,

Aaron S. Cheatham
Director of Customer Experience
Zero Motorcycles, Inc.

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »

I got the email from Zero tonight too. That’s pretty great that they’re doing this.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »

I got the email from Zero tonight too. That’s pretty great that they’re doing this.

Same here.  I wish they would let us do it ourselves, sounds like it's just a replacement lid, hardly worth the drive to the dealer.  It is great they are fixing it!

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 06:51:40 PM »

This should explain the issue. 

It's a crop from this image

2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:57 AM »

If they are replacing the part in the tank cover, the black piece under the painted lid, it can be done DIY but takes a lot of work.  The hinge position on this part is the problem and the part cannot be modified therefore it must be replaced.  The strange thing is that there are two different part numbers one for each color.  That would make you think that the part is being replaced as an assembly.  I took my entire "tank" apart to see how this could be fixed and found that the area where the two pins that the hinge pivots on have no room for adjustment so the only possible fix is the lid assembly.  My dealer is trying to find out if I qualify for the fix as the email says bikes built before April 13th need the fix and later bikes have the fix.  According to my MSO, my bike was built on April 13th*** August 13th and most certainly needs the modification.  I wouldn't think Zero builds that many a day but it would have been nice in my case if the bike was built later in the day.

I did make a typo on my earlier post.  The motorcycle MSO states a AUGUST not April 13th build date.  So, if that is correct (and my tank lid looks like all the others with the gap) then I don't have the "fix".
*** *moderator edit 2019-10-05* Fixed that date for you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:28:32 AM by Shadow »
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »

The email says bikes built before Aug 13, not April. So if you didn't make a typo, I imagine you'd be covered :)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »

The email says bikes built before Aug 13
That explains why I didn't see it on the ones at the dealer in San Jose!  They said they'd just 'gotten them back from Zero' when I was in there.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

I did make a typo on my earlier post.  The motorcycle MSO states a AUGUST not April 13th build date.  So, if that is correct (and my tank lid looks like all the others with the gap) then I don't have the "fix".
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)
Pages: [1]