• March 28, 2024, 10:11:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unavailable Zero parts  (Read 1025 times)

Causemoi

• View Profile
Unavailable Zero parts
« on: September 28, 2019, 06:28:57 AM »

2016 Zero SR owner.  I damaged my red (plastic?) tank and contacted my dealer for a replacement and they stated Zero does not have them anymore so I would have to replace with a more recent (metal?) version for $200 more in price. Does anyone else find this outrageous? Any advice on what I can do?  Ultimately, I don't care what the color is because I'm planning to wrap it (and the front fender and tailpiece) in some other color anyway. Please help, $349.95 for a replacement tank that isn't even the original is an unacceptable solution.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Unavailable Zero parts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 07:35:55 AM »

I have several plastic storage tank (not the trunk tank) if you just want plastic, but I don't remember if I have a red one.

They're all slightly scratched.

-Crissa

PS, $350 is the standard price of the trunk tank.  Plastic formed stuff is expensive.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:42:19 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »

Search the internet, Causemoi, search the internet.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zero+motorcycle+tank&_sop=12

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »

AF1racing works well : i already ordered 3 times from them. Good product, good prices, cheap delivery. They even have 2011 or 2012 parts.

Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »

Yeah, tho I'd send mine for 1/2 AF1's price plus shipping, easily.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Ayebah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 10:58:12 AM »

Af1 and any zero dealer gets their parts from zero in Scott valley. With af1 the parts shop from zero to you instead of the dealer. But my dealer didn’t charge me shipping but I did have to pay sales tax. Buy it from clarissa.  Btw u still want to sell that extra belt?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »

I have two spare belts, I can't see myself breaking them.  Better they get used!

All my spare parts came from a mid-peninsula dealer that closed.  When I got my bike; it came with a half dozen storage tanks in various part-out, two extra belts, a givi set that is missing parts, and an XL Zero riding jacket that's exceedingly warm.

My spouse plans to paint some of the tanks, but if someone else wants a crack at them, well, better they get used ^-^

-Crissa

I don't know the shipping on the tanks off the top of my head, but the belts are awkward and a flat-rate box USPS is $20.  I might see what the first-class for them is since they're light.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:30:06 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »

For me AF1 had been most of the time 30% to 80% cheaper than the dealer's price. It was even cheaper than the price the dealer paid, with faster availability. I think they have their own stock, and a more reasonable markup policy.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

AutoE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 04:46:47 AM »

Zero is obliged under European regulation to maintain spare part availability for 10 years... by my last check. Simple enough to Google. Two problems. ZERO seem to care little for EU regulation.  You may not be in EU.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »

Zero is obliged under European regulation to maintain spare part availability for 10 years... by my last check. Simple enough to Google. Two problems. ZERO seem to care little for EU regulation.  You may not be in EU.

As near as I can tell, those regulations haven't worked all that well for the owners of Victory (Polaris) Empulse electric motorcycles.  If you own one of those discontinued bikes good luck finding parts or anyone to work on them.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »

That's cause AutoE is incorrect. There are no regulations or laws whatsoever concerning the availability of spare parts for a certain time period(7 years, 10 years etc,)

In the US, there is the Magnuson Moss Act, which requires spare parts to be available for the length of the warranty. See here:
https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/14049/are-auto-manufacturers-required-under-us-federal-law-to-provide-parts-for-a-set

I can also find no evidence of an EU law either.

Also, judging by AutoE's recent string of inflammatory posts and post history, the account appears to be tied to Auto Electric, the ex-distributor Zero dropped in Israel and replaced with Metro Motors.
Perhaps it wasn't a very agreeable breakup.

Also to OP, Zero still provides plastic parts for their bike, but the colors have changed slightly due to a change in the manufacturing process. They didn't hike the price 200 dollars when it changed, and you can reach out to them for parts whenever. If you need all the colors to match, it'll be a bit more expensive to get the new red color though.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »

Also, having there is a part available (the Trunk Tank, not to mention the Charge Tank or Power Tanks.), clearly they're not in violation of this law which probably doesn't even cover body parts anyhow if it existed.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

AutoE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 06:04:28 PM »

As near as I can tell, those regulations haven't worked all that well for the owners of Victory (Polaris) Empulse electric motorcycles.  If you own one of those discontinued bikes good luck finding parts or anyone to work on them.
Richard230... there is a big difference between a lack of parts from due to a business failure or bankruptcy and a EXISTING OEM such as ZERO repeatedly failing to abide by law and regulation.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »

Richard230... there is a big difference between a lack of parts from due to a business failure or bankruptcy and a EXISTING OEM such as ZERO repeatedly failing to abide by law and regulation.

You may be right.  I really don't know. I was just trying to commensurate with people who own vehicles that have gone out of production and were never popular enough to develop an after-market source for parts and service. I really feel bad for the Brammo/Victory Empulse and Enertia motorcycle owners who are stuck with vehicles that (in most cases) can not be repaired and can't find any former dealers who will service or repair them and are left "swinging in the wind".  :(  I guess what you are saying is that whatever parts availability laws exist are not going to help them much.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »

...Also, judging by AutoE's recent string of inflammatory posts and post history, the account appears to be tied to Auto Electric, the ex-distributor Zero dropped in Israel and replaced with Metro Motors.
Perhaps it wasn't a very agreeable breakup....
All people are welcome on this forum! Keep the message based on facts and experience. It would be good to know where parts are difficult to get; Zero Motorcycles parts are much easier to get quickly now than many years ago when there were frequent problems with their (3rd party?) warehouse mixing up labels or sending wrong parts for no reason. Unless an invasive re-inventory is done, I suppose that for older models it would be likely the old problems are becoming new problems when parts are needed. I make an assumption that since I had these problems for 2016 model year parts, the risks of wrong parts and delays exist for ordering parts on 2016 and older models; also for N.O.S. (new old-stock) parts shared to newer models.
Pages: [1] 2