• March 29, 2024, 11:34:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice on Buying Used  (Read 462 times)

Sef650

• View Profile
Advice on Buying Used
« on: September 27, 2019, 06:47:46 AM »

My old bike finally gave up the ghost and I'm thinking of going electric.  I'm going to look at a 2014 SR.  What should I be thinking about?  I know there is a dealer pretty close so I can get it worked on when I need it.  It doesn't have the power tank, so I want to make sure they're still available for the 2014 because I'm going to need the range.  What's a good price? Anything else I want to check out when I look at it? 

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Buying Used
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:24:49 AM »

The 2014 quick charger was CHAdeMO, and isn't currently available.  It's possible to rig together third party chargers, according to the Unofficial Zero Manual.

They changed the charging and wiring in 2015 to support their current Charge Tank.

Aside from that, you look at the same things as on any other bike!  Brake wear, tire and wheel wear, does it make weird noises when it rolls (aside from the weird water 'motor' sound) or bounces or brakes.  Look for wear on the lines and corrosion on the connectors.  Do the lights work, and see if you can get time to do a battery charge cycle (like a day or so to ride and charge and see if it performs well.)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Sef650

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »

That helps thanks. But does that mean that I can’t get a power tank for it anymore?  Are there used ones out there?

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 08:54:31 AM »

I would pay CLOSE attention to the differences. 2015 PLUS are all present equipment with add ons each year.
That being said, a 2014 fit MY NEEDS closer than the newer models. I am using it for Drag Racing so don't need the
updates in suspension and handling. I ended up getting a new 14.4 KW battery installed under warranty but it was
a major pain. All work was done at Hollywood Electrics and even they were in continual contact with Zero. Different
wiring harness had to be made to have everything work. Unless you find a 2014 that is significantly lower priced, I
would go with something newer.
At this point, it is going to look like I am trying to make points for newer because I will be selling my 2016 SR, but,
take a GOOD look at the differences.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »

And I just use a bike for errands so range isn't a biggie to me.

But if you need something that has more range, you'll want to make sure the charging infrastructure you need is there.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

'15 or newer IMO. Better suspension, brakes and tires.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »

Hi Sef650.  I've got a 13 DS and a 17 DSR and ride both quite a bit.
The 14 SR had one common problem to that setup, over heating.  Zero started making their IPM (internal permanent magnet) motor to keep the magnets away from the heat of the windings starting 2015. 
As for the Power tank the 2014 would have been a 2.8 kWh unit.  You would need to contact your dealer to see if that was an option.
If you didn't need the extra range and you weren't going to ride it that hard I'd say if the price was right (7k ish) go for it.

As it is you can find newer bikes with power tank (a bit rare) out there with the IPM motor for not much more money and likely be a bit happier.  There have been some improvements most years but some features may have more value to you than others.

Do you know your needed range and if you can charge at work?  How do you want to ride?  If it's hard and fast all the time just stay gas for now.  If you like the ease and smooth ride (and still very quick) then these bike could be for you.

Sef650

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »

Appreciate all the responses so far.  Thanks.

The guy is asking $8k, which is great because I could swing that without financing.  It's got a little over 8k miles on it.  [/i] I'm not too worried about suspension, and tires can be changed easily.  I'd want it for commuting, and he says he's getting 60-100 miles depending on the kind of riding.  My daily mileage is about 59 miles.  That's cutting it a little close.  If I can expand that by putting on a power tank I'd be all set.  I was picturing an add-on that I could just drop in, but it sounds like it might be more complicated than that.  And, I'm not sure I'm understanding the power tank thing right in the first place.  So they're not making them for 2014's anymore, and I'd need to get an old/used one?  Are they available?  Is it something that's pretty easy to install myself?  What I'm trying to figure out is, is this good deal going to end up being a crappy deal once I add up what I need to do to make this bike work for me?  For me, it seems like it comes down to how difficult it would be to extend the range.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:32:26 PM »

I owned a 2014 S with PT and managed 140 miles before running completely out of power. I would say that I averaged about 40 mph, with a lot of uphill and downhill traveling.  My daughter has the bike now and it is still running great, although its charger failed and had to be replaced.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

My work ride is about 56 miles.  It's small highway riding with an average of about 50mph, with some towns that are 25-40 MPH limits for a few miles.  My 13 bike which has a 2014 battery will do this ride just fine.  You loose some range when it's colder 10-20% but I think the worst I ever got home with was 37% left.
Going slower really helps your range.  Also a windscreen is a plus.
I would say it's very unlikely to find a new old stock 14 power tank.  The dealer has to update the bike's programing to work with the power tank so it's not a drop in option.

I did a quick Cycle Trader search and for 1K (asking price) more there are some 16 and 17 models SR and DSR on either side of the country which are much better deals IMO.  I used U Ship for both of mine and it worked out well.  In short the bike should work for you as is but these bikes are better bikes.  Good luck

https://www.cycletrader.com/Zero-S/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Zero%20Motorcycles%7C705321056&sort=price%3Aasc

Sef650

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 02:20:55 AM »

All this is a really big help.  Thanks everyone.  One way or another I plan to be back on the forum as a fellow electric rider soon.
Pages: [1]