• April 23, 2024, 09:49:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F CHARGER FAILURE?  (Read 1987 times)

siai47

• View Profile
SR/F CHARGER FAILURE?
« on: September 25, 2019, 03:35:06 AM »

I went to go for a ride on my SR/F today and decided to fully charge it before I left.  I plugged in the J1772 connector as usual and everything appeared normal.  It had 60% charge at the time and I went off and left it to charge to 100%.  A while later, I noticed it had finished charging and removed the connector.  When I turned on the key, I noticed it had only charged to 77%.  I reinserted the connector and absolutely nothing happened.  It was then I noticed my EVSE power was off.  I use a Tesla wall connector with a J-stub adapter as my primary EVSE which is capable of delivering 80 amps to a vehicle.  I checked the circuit breaker panel and found the 100 amp circuit breaker that feeds the EVSE was tripped.  I reset the breaker and tried again to charge.  This time when I plugged the J1772 connector in, I heard a contactor close in the bike, the charging screen came up and a few moments later I saw that a pilot signal had been sent to the EVSE to commence charging.  The EVSE contactor closed and tried to send power to the bike.  Both the current and KW screens on the bikes dash remained at zero and in about 30 seconds the EVSE shut down (no circuit breaker operation).  I have a GE Wattstation for a backup EVSE and tried that to see if there was an EVSE problem.  However, the bike responded exactly as it did with my other EVSE.

I have a feeling something big failed/shorted in one of both of the onboard chargers.  I don't know if there is a fuse in there somewhere but something caused the 100 amp breaker to open supplying the EVSE.  That's a lot of power to trip.  Anyway, it's off to the dealer tomorrow.  Fortunately It's within range of the bike in it's current state.  Good thing it didn't happen on a road trip or I would have been stranded.  Error codes reported were #35 (CAN buss communication) which I see all the time and delete. Also error codes #37 and #38 which basically tell you to pull out the charge connector, wait two minutes, and retry it again.  After the initial failure, only code #38 came back each time I tried to charge.  In addition, my cell phone sent me a notification that charging had been interrupted.  So, I think the control system is functioning but when it sees no charge activity, it terminates the charge.  My guess is one of the two chargers failed and took out a major fuse somewhere along the line.  I guess as inconvenient as this is, it's still a warranty issue and stuff happens on new things.

1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: SR/F CHARGER FAILURE?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »

Yeah, thanks for the thorough assessment. Hopefully it is just a teething issue with new equipment in the field. It’ll be nice to see how to check charging fuses on the road at some point.

Good luck!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xawen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »

You're not alone. Mine did the same last week (standard version). I recorded a video for the dealer if you want to see how it behaves. My dealer confirmed it's a CAN Bus problem but now it's on its way to Holland form Spain because they don't know how to fix it, so I guess I'm going to miss it for at leaset 3-4 weeks.. It's a shame  :-\

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D8tgUeXjVsVG35oX6

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »

Maybe this is one of those things where the workaround is a total reboot using the simplest possible trigger (key off and unplug, wait a minute, then key on and plug in).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xawen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:26:00 PM »

I tried that several times. I even unplugged the 12 volt battery to force a hard reset but it didn't work. All settings on the dash kept unchanged so the bike computer that manages the charging system is connected to the main battery, not the 12V one. There is simply no way for the user to reset the bike.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:30:20 PM by xawen »

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 06:18:32 AM »

Dealer called today and said the thought is that one of the two chargers failed.  They are waiting for Zero to send them the part number of the charger so they can order it.  That seems a little odd.  Why didn't they tell them the part number (or ship it) when they were on the phone with Zero?  I'm glad I am not in a hurry to get this bike back.  I will be surprised if this fixes it unless there are some massive fuses that also blew.  When you try to charge it, it appears to be an open circuit.  One of the chargers should still try to work.  For the time being the lovebugs are still in full force in central Florida which makes riding a little bit harsh.
1979 Honda CBX
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »

Apparently Zero doesn't have their parts catalog set up exactly yet?  When I ordered tank emblems for the SR/F they had to do a call and call back.

Maybe it's a different person at Zero.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

xawen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »

Dealer called today and said the thought is that one of the two chargers failed.  They are waiting for Zero to send them the part number of the charger so they can order it.  That seems a little odd.  Why didn't they tell them the part number (or ship it) when they were on the phone with Zero?  I'm glad I am not in a hurry to get this bike back.  I will be surprised if this fixes it unless there are some massive fuses that also blew.  When you try to charge it, it appears to be an open circuit.  One of the chargers should still try to work.  For the time being the lovebugs are still in full force in central Florida which makes riding a little bit harsh.

I am told this problem seems to be a charger communication (CAN BUS) error not a problem with the charger itself.

AutoE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 04:50:20 AM »

Chargers are generally of exceptionally poor quality.  Similar to customer service.

VampyreLegion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »

My SR/F standard has done this same thing twice,  after several key on and off it started to charge.  i will contact the dealer to report this issue since other are seeing the same.

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »

Update from my dealer yesterday on my charger failure.  They replaced one of the two chargers per Zero's recommendation and resolved half of the problem.  The new charger worked but the second (original) charger failed.  They are ordering another charger from Zero and will try again.  I am still not convinced that both chargers just happened to fail at the same time without something else causing it.  I knew they were working on it because I started getting multiple texts from the bike saying that charging was interrupted.

As a side note, I just brought my Victory Empulse TT down from Michigan to give me something to ride until the Zero is fixed.  I was surprised, when I first took it for a ride after riding the Zero for several hundred miles, how much better the Zero is over the Victory/Brammo Empulse.  The Empulse is lacking in almost every area compared to the the Zero.  Although it doesn't have all the electronic "nannies", the only place the Empulse outshines the Zero is in the braking system.  The Brembo brakes as applied to the Empulse are very smooth, predictable and provide great stopping power.  On the other hand, the Zero has far more power, no noisy transmission and chain, no need to shift or use a clutch and has a bigger bike "feel" to it.  I still like the look of the Empulse a little more than the Zero and It will look great hanging in my den as wall art when it finally quits running.   
1979 Honda CBX
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »

The dealer called yesterday to inform me that my SR/F is now operating normally and I can pick it up.  Whatever caused the charging failure in the first place took out both chargers and the delay in the repair was because only one was ordered and replaced before anyone suspected both chargers had failed at the same time.

I am at a loss to explain what happened either.  I just hope it doesn't happen again.  The fact that the 100 amp breaker that feeds my EVSE also popped during the charging session leads me to believe that one of the two chargers shorted internally backfeeding the voltage and current from the motorcycle battery back to the A/C line.  Once the 100 amp A/C breaker opened then the DC battery from the bike could have destroyed the other charger.  Just a guess but its possible that it could have happened that way.  I don't see any fuses on the bike relating to either the input or output side of the chargers.  I am going to ask the tech if he spotted any during the repair or has access to the wiring diagram.  I would hope that there is at least fuse protection between the charger and the battery.
1979 Honda CBX
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »

Picked up the motorcycle this morning from the dealer and rode it home.  However, when I got home, all of the turn signals began to flash and I couldn't turn them off.  In addition the bike wouldn't turn off.  I could pull the key out and the turn signals continued to flash and the dash display remained on.  There were a ton of error codes including one that said it had a firmware update failure.  Cleared the numerous code and all went away except #19 that said I had a turn signal lamp out.  No, all four were blinking and now blinking rapidly.  Also, the 12v battery warning light was on and it too started to blink.  I turned the key back on to get the DC-DC converter running before I destroyed the 12V Li-Ion battery.  I tried connecting the charge cable at which point the turn signals stopped flashing and I allowed the bike to charge to 100%.  Still no way to get the bike to shut down.  The dealer just sent a trailer to pick the bike up and get it back to the shop.  I'll bet you the firmware failure is at the root of this current problem.

The bike was in the shop for a month because of the charger failures.  In a couple of days, the bike will have been in the shop longer than in my possession since I purchased it .  I hope this isn't signaling a trend  >:( 
1979 Honda CBX
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 03:02:49 AM »

Do you know how to turn 4 ways on and off?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:04:07 AM »

Oh, yes, there's an emergency hazard lights function.  It can get stuck on if you don't flip the switch and the turn signals in the right order.

I wonder if it got confused and that got stuck on or crosswired somehow?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2