• April 27, 2024, 07:03:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dreaded Firmware bug bricked my 2014.  (Read 772 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Dreaded Firmware bug bricked my 2014.
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:26:17 AM »

So I took my 'new' bike in today to get it looked at and fix the whining firmware issue.

...And they bricked it.  The mainboard has to be sent back to Zero and reset or replaced outright.

Apparently in the next most recent version of their software on some old 2014s there's a chance for it to lose communications while updating.

So I'm out my now daily driver and I don't have a ride home ^-^

Ohwell.

Make sure the shop has updated their software and is up on all the warnings from Zero!  Zero forgot to tell BMW San Jose that.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded Firmware bug bricked my 2014.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »

Well for sure you're not the only Zero owner to experience this drama/comedy. From what I can recall - asking about a 2016 why it is dealer-only non over-the-air firmware upgrades - there is not any extra data storage to recover from a bad run of the firmware flash procedure, on S/DS before the addition of more data storage on 2017 and newer model year bikes.

Hope that Zero Motorcycles has the parts to take care of you. The dealer is not in any obligation to offer a loaner bike (but maybe they will - have asked nicely and gotten some help this way before).

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:30:50 PM »

Crissa sorry to hear that.  I thought this issue had been fixed from Zero.

I always wanted a simple USB comm port to hook up to a phone or thumb drive.  I hate over the air BS it hardly ever works right and just plays to a "neat tech" crowd.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:01:44 AM »

So I took my 'new' bike in today to get it looked at and fix the whining firmware issue.

...And they bricked it.  The mainboard has to be sent back to Zero and reset or replaced outright.

Apparently in the next most recent version of their software on some old 2014s there's a chance for it to lose communications while updating.

So I'm out my now daily driver and I don't have a ride home ^-^

Ohwell.

Make sure the shop has updated their software and is up on all the warnings from Zero!  Zero forgot to tell BMW San Jose that.

-Crissa
I had a similar experience there with my '14SR firmware update; they provided me with a BMW G310 loaner overnight, and had my SR back up the next day. 

First time an update cost $45; they had always been covered by Zero before... 

(My Zero phone app [Android] still crashes upon downloading a log file...)
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »

So yes, BMW San Jose does do loaner bikes.  I saw them do this for several people before in line, and I just opted out to go to lunch with a friend.  (Also I'm still on a permit and their sales staff wouldn't let me touch bikes once they heard that.)

It was sorta funny.  The service rep said it'd be done at lunch.  No biggie, I have all day, so I don't call back until after lunch.  They do lunch late, apparently, and my bike is still on the lift but no one is there to tell me why.  No biggie, I was at the back of the line, right?

Call again... No answer.  This happens for an hour.

Call back an hour later, and it's still on the lift, and the service rep isn't sure why.  I get cut off and well, I have all afternoon, I'll call back later.

Then I get him, and he's like, 'Well, it's not communicating with our computer.  We're talking to Zero now, I'll get back to you.' I ask him when they close, and he says six.  Which is cool.  Not an out-at-five which is kinda annoying.

At five, tho, he does call me back.  And gives me the bad news.  And he can't stop apologizing.  I distract him and ask to order a part from the new SR/F:  The tank badge.  Zero said it was on the order list, but apparently they still don't have the parts list, despite having four of these bikes in their showroom ^-^

So hopefully I'll have one of the new tank badges I can affix to my windscreen for coolness factor when the bike is running again.

I really, really miss it.  And I never rode a motorcycle (aside from around a lot) before this last month!  I can't believe how much I miss it.  And I've only not had it for two days ^-^  Two days I planned to be riding, but...

-Crissa

PS:  Don't let them charge you for the firmware.  Zero covers this.  I assume it's a billing error since they have to have how much it costs to show Zero but they're not supposed to charge us.  I have this from the dealer and Zero. 

They accidentally tried to charge me and I was like, 'wait, what?' and they zeroed it out. Their base charge was already equal to two hours of labor which was pretty ridiculous but I don't really know bikes so I can't be picky ^-^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:54:25 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »

Called the dealer today, and they got back to me.

They said Zero says the board will be ready Saturday!

Man, I can't wait to gt back on ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »

Huzzah!  Got it back just before close today and rode it home.  Stopped at the store to check the temps - since last time it balked going up the last hill.  90F battery temp and it's 68F outside.  I wonder if maybe it overheated last time... 7% up my hill ambient temps over 90 and internal temps of well... Who knows what, honestly.

Anyhow!  It's back home and I'm thrilled ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »

I picked up a 2014 on auction.
Had been at Hollywood electrics from March until the end of June ( Mostly MY Fault, couldn't decide upon upgrades )
Finally got it back, then spent a couple months fixing paperwork from sellse ( Justdonated on ebay. NOT happy with them )
Got it taken care of and now had the firmware needs updating message on app
Took back to Hollywood. Zapped MBB (?), no biggie, Zero replaced.
Finally got everything back together and am MUCH happier with it than my 2016 SR.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »

Finally got everything back together and am MUCH happier with it than my 2016 SR.
What happened to the SR?  They're pretty much the same bike but the SR has some more durable components.  I can't imagine they really run much differently.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »

I am getting ready to sell the SR.
I had Hollywood Electrics do a bunch of firmware upgrades to it ( Race Program ).
The 2014 was purchased because it had the smaller battery ( Lighter ) so that it weighed less for the drag strip.
The 2014 battery was toast. Zero Decided to " Upgrade " to a 14.4 battery for me ( so much for less weight )
I also had Hollywood put in a 2019 SR controller The 2016 SR Ran 13 flat in the 1/4.
The 2014 has run 12.11 in the 1/4 with 91 mph in the 1/8th. 2014 also wheelies as well as my FX(s).
Didn't need all the extra handling stuff for the drag strip. Bike definitely feels more nimble than the SR.
Still have my 2013 FX ( Converted to FXs ) because it is even MORE fun to ride than the 2014, although much closer now
Pages: [1]