• April 24, 2024, 06:23:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Knocking from motor?  (Read 567 times)

idle

• View Profile
Knocking from motor?
« on: August 19, 2019, 09:14:28 AM »

I've been outspoken about how reliable my bike (2016 DSR) has been, but here we go.. I've uploaded a video, has anyone ever had this issue before? I'm fairly certain that the belt is aligned correctly, and I checked that there was nothing in the front sprocket teeth that would make this noise. Exactly 1 turn in the same point makes the noise. I've also tried to wiggle the front sprocket, it seems very tight without play. Is this a bearing I need to replace? Anyone experience that - or have an idea of what the cost would be?

Thanks for any help

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Knocking from motor?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »

Hard to tell from that.
Could be motor bearings.  I think the 2016s still had the square shaft key.  I remember people making shims for them when they got lose.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:24:48 AM »

Seems like it starts and stops knocking as I ride it, I've tried to vary speed, lean, throttle jerkiness, anything to try and replicate it but it looks like the knocking gets more intense or less intense at random. I'm switching out the belt today and as I do it I'm gonna see if there's any play in the front sprocket.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:48:56 AM »

Looks like the entire shaft AND sprocket have about 1/16ths of an inch of play up and down, left and right - but not in and out of the motor.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »

Sounds like a bad left side motor bearing with that much play :'(
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »

Looks like the entire shaft AND sprocket have about 1/16ths of an inch of play up and down, left and right - but not in and out of the motor.

That sucks especially since its only a 2016. How many miles are on it? Was your belt tension kept within spec? I would imagine an over-tensioned belt could cause premature bearing failure.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »

That sucks especially since its only a 2016. How many miles are on it? Was your belt tension kept within spec? I would imagine an over-tensioned belt could cause premature bearing failure.
I have 21,900 miles on it now, I have kept belt tension in spec, learned how to tension it the hard way like many users here - also all of my miles are easy riding commuter miles in eco mode, I don't jerk the bike around much at all.

For the amount of people I've seen have motor bearing problems on the facebook page and here, I am just frustrated at this. Save for the motor/bearing knocking, the bike rides smooth still - just wondering if I should be on this bike at all. One user told me that his dealer made him replace the entire motor, if that's the solution I'd rather ride this till the motor dies  >:(

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:01 AM »

Wow, that's an early failure for sure.  My '16 DS has ~54,000mi on it and is showing no signs of this issue yet.  Travis Kimbrell on the facebook ZMOG group did the bearing replacement himself...maybe this is an option for you? 

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:32:39 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't continue riding till you have it checked out. If you wait too long, you may damage motor beyond repair. Just my opinion though.
Pages: [1]