• March 29, 2024, 07:43:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charging Cord  (Read 1564 times)

Too little too late

• View Profile
Charging Cord
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »

Ï€pI'm looking for a replacement charging cord for a 2017 S, and I can't find anyone selling a 12 gauge computer cord. Anyone out there have any leads?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Charging Cord
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »

12 gauge?  14 AWG in a ten-foot length is the OEM cord and I just reordered one from Amazon.  Do you want the 12 AWG because you need longer than 10 feet?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »

12 gauge?  14 AWG in a ten-foot length is the OEM cord and I just reordered one from Amazon.  Do you want the 12 AWG because you need longer than 10 feet?

I would love to find a 12 gauge cord, because even the 14 gauge one gets warm, especially the end that plugs into the bike, but I assume it's because it's all the cheap c-14 connector can handle. So I don't believe a 12 gauge cord would help. Just my opinion. I couldn't even find a 12 gauge cord on amazon. Best i could find was 14 gauge x 10'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:30:50 PM by alko »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »

That's the one.  As the cords get older, they'll heat up more.  I replaced my three year old cord because it was getting positively HOT to the touch.  The new one just gets a little warm.  If you search around here you'll see an entire thread dedicated to this topic.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Too little too late

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 03:59:23 AM »

I saw the thread, and they were saying that a 16 gauge cord was working for them. I don't understand that. I have a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord that's dropping down from the ceiling where I park the bike. Then a 3 foot 14 gauge cord from there to the bike inlet. The extension cord stays cold, but the entire 3 foot length of that 14 gauge computer cord gets hot. Too hot. I've spent hours trying to find a 12 gauge computer cord, and just thought someone else might be getting hot too, and maybe solved the issue. Thanks for the reply's.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:09:01 AM »

I saw the thread, and they were saying that a 16 gauge cord was working for them. I don't understand that. I have a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord that's dropping down from the ceiling where I park the bike. Then a 3 foot 14 gauge cord from there to the bike inlet. The extension cord stays cold, but the entire 3 foot length of that 14 gauge computer cord gets hot. Too hot. I've spent hours trying to find a 12 gauge computer cord, and just thought someone else might be getting hot too, and maybe solved the issue. Thanks for the reply's.

The ones they sell at Wal-Mart are 16 gauge. They get real hot. I purchased my bike used and that what it came with. So I immediately ordered the 14 gauge cord from amazon.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 07:09:42 AM »

If you know any buddies in IT, they should be able to hook you up. I just ordered 2 dell servers and each came with 2 14-gauge power cables. We use different power cables with our PDUs so I took all 4 home. Also, if you can run 240v the cable will carry half the amps and as a result less heat.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 08:17:34 AM »

I've been using this

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5292

for years now, and it never gets warm or causes trouble. The length means I don't have to use an extension cord with it, which is a good thing...one fewer connector to fail. After living outdoors for several years it's got a few cracks in the strain relief, so I'll probably replace it soon, but it still charges my bike like a champ.

14 AWG is plenty. If something is warming up, it's not the wire gauge causing problems.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »

That one is only six feet long.  14 AWG is fine for at least ten feet as that is the length of the stock cord.  Anything longer, though, and you'd want a heavier gauge.  But thanks for pointing out that six foot cord.  I don't really need anything longer than that in my garage!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »

I've been using this

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5292

for years now, and it never gets warm or causes trouble. The length means I don't have to use an extension cord with it, which is a good thing...one fewer connector to fail. After living outdoors for several years it's got a few cracks in the strain relief, so I'll probably replace it soon, but it still charges my bike like a champ.

14 AWG is plenty. If something is warming up, it's not the wire gauge causing problems.

Perhaps another solution would be to use a heavier long extension cord, like 12 gauge, connected to a short 14 gauge computer cable.  I have one that is only 3 feet long that I bought from Amazon as I park my bike right next to my wall outlet.  But then I also have a longer standard and heavier extension cord for when I need it.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »

That one is only six feet long.  14 AWG is fine for at least ten feet as that is the length of the stock cord.  Anything longer, though, and you'd want a heavier gauge.  But thanks for pointing out that six foot cord.  I don't really need anything longer than that in my garage!

Actually the link I tried to post was for the 25-footer I'm using. It just reverted to the default length, I guess. Click on whichever length you want, they've got quite a selection.

Length doesn't have anything to do with current carrying ability. You may have SLIGHTLY more voltage drop, but it's less than a volt over 25 feet at 14 AWG and 15 amps, not worth talking about. Heating is per unit length, so the 25-footer will generate more heat, but it's over a longer length, so it will dissipate exactly the same way. As I said, mine's been working fine for years now.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »

The only 12 AWG cord I could find is only 7 ft long. (They also have a 3 ft long one) Both rated at 15 Amp.
It comes with the IEC-320-C13 on one end but comes with the wrong plug on the other end.
Fortunately, heavy-duty NEMA 5-15P are available at the home centers and elsewhere and all you'd have to do is replace that end and you'll have the cable you are looking for.
Only a screwdriver and a wire cutter are needed for this job.
Only thing to be careful about is how you wire the new plug but being that there are only three wires it is quite simple: On the replacement plug, the green wire to the green screw, the black wire to the copper colored screw and the white wire to the silver screw.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/tripp-lite/P032-007/TL417-ND/1533393

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-515PV-07196000501-Pack-Yellow/dp/B0015P708Y/ref=pd_cp_60_1?pd_rd_w=KFO5w&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=F7JZ6D1H40N5C7EVF6JP&pd_rd_r=d8417dac-ae47-4e12-98d4-057d7de43219&pd_rd_wg=GbG8m&pd_rd_i=B0015P708Y&psc=1&refRID=F7JZ6D1H40N5C7EVF6JP
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:43:23 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Too little too late

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »

Thank you NetPro. That was the lead I was looking for. I ordered the 3' and the 7'. And because inquiring minds may want to know. I know I do. I'll measure the temperature of the 14 gauge cord I'm using, and the new 12 gauge cord when it arrives. In my humble opinion, any heat I can feel on this charging cord is wasted energy. There are two other electric vehicles charging in my garage from midnight to six in the morning, and this is the only hot cord. I hope this takes care of the issue so I can sleep better at night. Thanks again NetPro.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 12:06:36 AM »

Thank you NetPro. That was the lead I was looking for. I ordered the 3' and the 7'. And because inquiring minds may want to know. I know I do. I'll measure the temperature of the 14 gauge cord I'm using, and the new 12 gauge cord when it arrives. In my humble opinion, any heat I can feel on this charging cord is wasted energy. There are two other electric vehicles charging in my garage from midnight to six in the morning, and this is the only hot cord. I hope this takes care of the issue so I can sleep better at night. Thanks again NetPro.

Sure Man, no problem!

By the way if the 12 AWG cord still gets warm (doubt it will be much if any) you could make your own with wire size 10.
Digikey or Mouser, or both, sell the IEC-320-C13 connector only and if you buy some of that high-quality, extra-flexible silicone wire in size 10, you should not see that one warming up as it may happen with the 12 gauge wire, but that may be overkill.

The only issue with this wire is that it does not come in a "cord" with three conductors but just single one. Now, what I would do is make my own using Split Braided Cable Sleeving Wrap, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Cable-Sleeving-Wrap-Techflex/dp/B01MRLJ93K/ref=pd_cp_263_1?pd_rd_w=dpMzX&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=CSC68A19SZ6XG0ZQR3Q0&pd_rd_r=60fdd130-a7cf-417e-a650-cd3738f0c8d4&pd_rd_wg=8mEfC&pd_rd_i=B01MRLJ93K&psc=1&refRID=CSC68A19SZ6XG0ZQR3Q0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:08:21 AM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Too little too late

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »

Finally going to put some closure on this issue I was having with 14 gauge charging cords. One was only three feet long but was warming up to 135 degrees in only 20 minutes. I could smell the insulation cooking. I also have a 10 foot 14 gauge cord that gets warmer than I like.  Both of these cords are original with molded ends. I have a 12 gauge extension cord connected to a timer and the only 20 amp outlet left in the garage, it's hanging from the ceiling over the bike. After charging the bike all night it doesn't even get warm. People are saying 14 works fine, but that's not what's happening in my garage. I located a 12 gauge cord with the wrong connector on one end, thank you NetPro, so I cut it off and replaced it with a nice heavy duty male end. After 30 minutes I can feel a little heat at the side of the bike, but other than that its room temperature. Now I can sleep at night. I ordered three of these cords. One for the garage, one for the road, and one just because. Just because I might not find one again. There were additional issues with the purchase of these cords. In my garage, charging the 2017 Zero S, and two other electric vehicles. And currently the electric company owes me money. No pun intended. Thanks for all the help.
Pages: [1] 2 3