• March 29, 2024, 11:54:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motor recommissioning was out of commission for me today  (Read 1267 times)

NetPro

• View Profile
Motor recommissioning was out of commission for me today
« on: August 16, 2019, 12:59:01 AM »

Took my SR/F to the dealer for the 600 mi service and they were not able to do the motor recommission today.
The local mechanic said he had done them before on his own and tried but for some reason could not finish it

They tried calling Zero but no one was available to assist. This was at 10:30AM Eastern time and they claimed Zero offers support starting at 7:00AM.
We waited until 11:30 to see if someone would call back but they never did.

Now, I have to go back to the dealer once they discuss what was the problem and Zero offers some suggestions to the mechanic that will try again.
Happy I live a 15 minutes ride from the dealer but it is bizarre my bike is behaving differently that the other ones he has done previously.

We'll see how this unfolds.
2020 Zero SR/F

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Motor recommissioning was out of commission for me today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:34:00 AM »

The local mechanic said he had done them before on his own and tried but for some reason could not finish it
He could not finish his own bike?

Or do you mean he was successful on his own bike, but not yours? Or did you mean he has done commissioning before  without the help of Zero?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »

I meant to say he claims to have done recommissioning on customer's bikes on his own (by himself): meaning, without contacting Zero for assistance or for them to do it remotely.
2020 Zero SR/F

pyromancy5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 06:13:55 PM »

How much does your dealer charge for this?
'14 Nissan Leaf SL; 2014 Zero SR 11.4; '81 Yamaha SR500

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »

I had the same problem on Monday this week.  Appointment at 9am, they could not get hold of Zero until 1pm, then they could not "connect" to my bike without a new cable.  The process is different for the SR/F and the service guys were not aware.  Still waiting to re-schedule once the dealer gets the right cable from Zero.

For me it's a 70 minute ride, and that means a (long) charge stop.

Steve

https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9283.msg81151#msg81151

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:09:28 PM by stevenh »
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »

I meant to say he claims to have done recommissioning on customer's bikes on his own (by himself): meaning, without contacting Zero for assistance or for them to do it remotely.
Then why do they ever contact Zero, if they don't really need them to do the commissioning?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »

I also had to reschedule my 600 service because my dealer wasn't ready for the SR/F commissioning. The rescheduled appointment was Aug 10, and they said they were able to complete it. I asked to see what they're doing, but they said no because it was in the back of the service area where they don't allow customers (I expected as much). When I asked about the process, they did say they were connected with Zero during it, but super vague/unknowledgeable about details. They were going to have me talk to their "Zero guy" that did the service, but he left for his lunch break right after the service was complete.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »

Not related to a temporary problem, but the offer that I was given for commissioning was to drop the bike off for a couple of days.  Um, no thanks, I ride every day.  They specifically said that I couldn't make an appointment to do it while I wait because they can't predict when they'll be able to connect with Zero.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:20 PM »

> I meant to say he claims to have done recommissioning on customer's bikes on his own (by himself): meaning, without contacting Zero for assistance or for them to do it remotely.[/quote]Then why do they ever contact Zero, if they don't really need them to do the commissioning?

SR/f is probably a little different, new controls, new motor, so they probably want to walk them through it the first time or two.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:13 PM »

> I meant to say he claims to have done recommissioning on customer's bikes on his own (by himself): meaning, without contacting Zero for assistance or for them to do it remotely.
Then why do they ever contact Zero, if they don't really need them to do the commissioning?

SR/f is probably a little different, new controls, new motor, so they probably want to walk them through it the first time or two.
[/quote]

The process is different for the SR/F than the previous bikes.  I saw the software the tech was trying to use, and it did not have a selection available for the SR/F.  To commission the SR/F they connect the bike to the laptop and the techs at Zero actually perform the commissioning.  I don't think they have any way to do it themselves like they did on previous models.  To top it off, it seems Zero used a different connector for the interface with the bike, so they need that as well.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 12:05:21 AM »

I was quoted "around" $150 for the service but they did not want to be specific.

As far as the problem that came up, in the notes printed on the repair order it says:
"Unable to connect to vehicle to mperform encoder reinitialization and firmware checks"
Not sure if mperform is a typo.

They did not mention the lack of a cable as the reason and since they were waiting for the Zero tech to call them back to supposedly resolve the problem, I am assuming the issue is not the physical laptop connection to the bike.
2020 Zero SR/F

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:35:04 AM »

> I meant to say he claims to have done recommissioning on customer's bikes on his own (by himself): meaning, without contacting Zero for assistance or for them to do it remotely.

The process is different for the SR/F than the previous bikes.  I saw the software the tech was trying to use, and it did not have a selection available for the SR/F.  To commission the SR/F they connect the bike to the laptop and the techs at Zero actually perform the commissioning.  I don't think they have any way to do it themselves like they did on previous models.  To top it off, it seems Zero used a different connector for the interface with the bike, so they need that as well.

Steve
[/quote]

That doesn't sound like a very efficient service system, especially when they will be likely selling hundreds of SR/F this year. Can you imagine the potential bottleneck at the factory's service department as more of these bikes start needing motor commissioning?  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »

Richard, I assume it's got to be a stop gap...

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »

Richard, I assume it's got to be a stop gap...

Steve

I would hope so. However if that is the case, then Zero should tell their dealers what is going on and that the situation will be resolved soon. Then their dealers should inform their SR/F customers that this service issue is only temporary and a permanent solution is in the works that will allow the dealership to perform commissioning during the shop's normal operating ours. Finally and most important, Zero should tell their dealers what hours they will be open and available to perform the commissioning service so that the dealers can schedule the service at a particular time that will match their customer's service appointment.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 10:27:34 PM »

I think this is terrible customer experience and am starting to echo that Zero has poor customer service in general.
Pages: [1] 2