• April 26, 2024, 11:38:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Replacement Stock Charger Buzzing Noise  (Read 322 times)

brose

• View Profile
Replacement Stock Charger Buzzing Noise
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:18:15 PM »

I just replaced the original 5 year old on board charger that was dying with a new one that is the latest design. The new charger has a buzzing sound while charging that sounds like a transformer buzzing on an electrical wire or utility power box sometimes can. It is not very loud but definitely different from the soft hum of the original charger. Is this something to be concerned about?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Replacement Stock Charger Buzzing Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:27:51 AM »

My new charger doesn't make that sound that I can hear.  However, my hearing is not the best and just I might not be picking up the sound's frequency.  ???  I wish I had a better response to your question.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:34:46 AM »

I just replaced the original 5 year old on board charger that was dying with a new one that is the latest design. The new charger has a buzzing sound while charging that sounds like a transformer buzzing on an electrical wire or utility power box sometimes can. It is not very loud but definitely different from the soft hum of the original charger. Is this something to be concerned about?
A low frequency buzzing? Like 60 hz? 

If  it's not loud, (such as being caused by an overload) and appears to be working okay, I would NOT worry about it, as long as there are no other symptoms (such as smell of something burning or excessive heat, CB's circuit breaker's tripping, etc.).

BTW, sometimes something as simple a loose mounting screw can make such stuff  sound louder.

-Don- Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

brose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:47:11 AM »

The new charger is charging normally and there are no smells. The buzzing is similar to what can occur in other chargers, such as standard car battery chargers. It just caught me off guard since the old charge made a barely audible hum and the new one makes more of the "charger" buzzing sound.
I called Zero and they indicated not to worry, with the caveat of all else behaving normally.
I guess I'll carry on with this charger.
Pages: [1]