• April 27, 2024, 04:46:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 600mi service on SRF  (Read 2126 times)

gstrub

• View Profile
600mi service on SRF
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »

It’s coming up on 600mi. I don’t want to tow (again) to dealer if not necessary (350mi each direction). What can I do on my own, if I need to do anything, for this recommended visit?

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
Re: 600mi service on SRF
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:41:55 AM »

Standard 600 mile service running you about $500 at your dealer. Oil and filter change, removing debris from the manufacturing process from your engine. Valve lash check. Chain tension adjustment and cleaning. No, but really:

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2020/2020-Zero-Owners-Manual-SRF.pdf

Sections 6.3-6.6
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:30 AM »

A competent motorcycle mechanic can do all on that list Except commissioning and timing the drive motor, which I have been told is important, requiring specific tools and training. I am anxious to learn more about this.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »

I wonder if the dealers would be willing to perform just the commissioning and timing of the drive motor.
I most certainly can do the rest of the 600 mi maintenance items.
Can imagine their response: No, for warranty reasons we have to perform all the steps (and charge a lot to do it). Bummer!
2020 Zero SR/F

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »

1. Check brake fluid levels. Add brake fluid as necessary

2.Rear Brake: Check operation, and for fluid leakage. Replace brake pads if necessary.

3. Front Brake: Check operation, and for fluid leakage. Replace brake pads if necessary.

6. Wheel Bearings: Check bearings for smooth operation. Replace if necessary.

7. Drive Belt: Check belt tension. Inspect belt for signs of damage or cracking. Replace belt: every 24k miles.

9. Steering Bearings: check for looseness.

11. Front brake lever pivot shaft: Apply silicone grease lightly. Check operation. Service/rebuild if necessary.

16. Kickstand Switch: check operations and replace if necessary.

17. Drive Motor: commissioning and timing.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »

I was just quoted $271 for this initial service.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »

Do not skip on motor commissioning and timing. It should be no-cost for the warranty period of the vehicle as it requires dealer tools and is required for maintaining warranty. The process takes about 20 minutes, the bike is lifted so the drive wheel is off the ground and they hook up a laptop and play video games with the throttle for 5 minutes until the laptop software is happy and the new settings are written out to the motor controller....  or that's the way it was for 2016 DSR anyhow. I'm not 100% sure for SR/F but if you would be kind enough to insist on observing the commissioning process you could confirm or deny that for us, would really be sweet!

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:43:34 AM »

Here is the process on Cypher II. Commission the encoder, then time the motor electronically. I'm going to try to shadow our tech while he does it on our SR/F and see how much it differs.
-Curtis

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 12:54:39 AM »

And once calibrated, do you know what causes it to get out of wack with use?
You'd think this being all electronics it would be consistent for a long time and not drift out of calibration eventually, unless there is a part that wears out and compensation to it needs to be made regularly.
Just curious what is going on in there.
2020 Zero SR/F

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 03:18:48 AM »

And once calibrated, do you know what causes it to get out of wack with use?
You'd think this being all electronics it would be consistent for a long time and not drift out of calibration eventually, unless there is a part that wears out and compensation to it needs to be made regularly.
Just curious what is going on in there.

Me too.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 05:31:21 AM »

And once calibrated, do you know what causes it to get out of wack with use?...
Permanent magnets are not all identical (that is much more expensive material science and manufacturing yields), and can change properties when heat cycled. Some change is expected in the first 600mi and then none or very little change thereafter. The periodic commissioning can highlight problems like dirt and broken or shifted encoder magnets.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »

Does anyone know what the dealer should charge just for motor commissinoing?  Really everything else in the 600 miles service I can do myself but need dealer to do just this.  I wanted a general idea before I called him to see if they are being fair.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »

Does anyone know what the dealer should charge just for motor commissinoing?  Really everything else in the 600 miles service I can do myself but need dealer to do just this.  I wanted a general idea before I called him to see if they are being fair.

Most dealers in my area charge a minimum 1 hour of labor to do just about anything. I was charged 1.75 hours for the 600-mile service on my 2018 S, which included motor commissioning. I estimate that about 3/4 hour was the labor to just perform a walk-around inspection.  So I would think 1 hour of labor, times your local labor rate ($150 an hour around here), should be about right for the motor commissioning.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »

On page 6.5, the manual states "Commissioning and Timing" and we have been concentrated on the Commissioning here.

What about Timing?
Is that a separate procedure we should ask for or is that part of Commissioning?
Anybody knows?
I setup my dealer appointment for the week after next as I will be out of town next week and only requested commissioning. They set it up so I can wait there which shouldn't be too bad.
Hate those "drop it off and come back later or tomorrow".
2020 Zero SR/F

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 11:49:28 PM »

On page 6.5, the manual states "Commissioning and Timing" and we have been concentrated on the Commissioning here.

What about Timing?
Is that a separate procedure we should ask for or is that part of Commissioning?
Anybody knows?
I setup my dealer appointment for the week after next as I will be out of town next week and only requested commissioning. They set it up so I can wait there which shouldn't be too bad.
Hate those "drop it off and come back later or tomorrow".

My understanding of it is, "Commission the encoder, then time the motor electronically."

Commissioning the encoder is setting the proper voltage (~4.3VDC) for the gap in position sensor. Then timing the phasing to the motor so the sine waves are in sync for controller output and motor.
-Curtis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4