• April 27, 2024, 03:01:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bluetooth extender  (Read 692 times)

sinusoid

• View Profile
Bluetooth extender
« on: July 27, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »

I have a 2016 SR and the Bluetooth range is terrible.  I have to be within 10' of the bike for my phone to connect, which makes it useless for checking the state of charge.  Has anyone put a Bluetooth extender on the bike?  I have been looking at them, but don't see 1 that is weatherproof.  Any suggestions?

Bill822

• View Profile
Re: Bluetooth extender
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »

It might not be the bike's antenna that needs help. Mine works from my desk 30+ feet from the bike through two brick walls.
EDIT: Only just now realized you said SR, not SR/F. Oops.

and don't worry about the post below. He trolls everyone
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:27:38 AM by Bill822 »

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 11:19:09 PM »

Why would you need to check soc? You don't know how fast your bike charges and when you plugged it in?

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:24:31 AM »

I rarely use a like button, but on this thread i would've pushed it on Bill822's post. That was golden! :D

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:04:27 PM »

I have a 2016 SR and the Bluetooth range is terrible....
BT range was less than ideal on the 2016 DSR as well. Sometimes I would park the bike at different angles to where I was taking a nap while charging to make it more likely to connect. I am led to think that the bluetooth is integral to the Main Bike Board.
You might try something like the ZeroSpy app for Android and an extra smartphone with cellular data connection to use as the extender via Internet. Not exactly what you asked for but perhaps it will do what you need?

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:28 PM »

Another approach would be to encapsulate one extender  that is not weatherproof in some clear epoxy that would make it totally sealed.
The only tricky part would to find or make a mold to fit the device. Then just fill it up with the epoxy and wait however long it takes to cure.

Only drawback is, epoxy is non removable: once set it hardens like a good plastic.
2020 Zero SR/F

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 01:03:45 AM »

I'm still wondering about the answer to this. Do you have unreliable connection or a gfi that trips or something?

Why would you need to check soc? You don't know how fast your bike charges and when you plugged it in?

sinusoid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »

I'm still wondering about the answer to this. Do you have unreliable connection or a gfi that trips or something?

I do not have anything bad that happens, but just seems like a useless feature to have on the bike.  "You can check your bike via Bluetooth*"

* Only if you are standing within reach of the motorcycle.

I know if charges at about 12% per hour, but a quick confirmation now and then without having to go look would be nice.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »

On my 2018 S I am amazed how accurate the display is at computing how long it will take until the pack is fully charged.  That calculation is really exact, almost down to the minute on my bike.  :) When plugging it in I can set my kitchen timer for the number of hours and minutes shown on the display and it will ring when the pack hits 100%. When that happens I have about 5 minutes to unplug the charger or the green charging light will never go off even when the charger is unplugged. So that keeps me on my toes and awake at night.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]