• April 26, 2024, 03:18:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please explain the braking regeneration on the SRF to me  (Read 2048 times)

gstrub

• View Profile
Please explain the braking regeneration on the SRF to me
« on: July 24, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »

So I started playing with the custom settings. I understand that the passive regen braking occurs when I come off the throttle, and I think the active regen engages when I hit the brakes. My question is, what is the difference in braking when the active regen is set at say 10 vs 100? Do the brakes apply more braking when pressed?

Is the relationship linear for the amount it regenerates? In other words, do I get twice as much juice into the battery when set at 50 vs 100?

Finally, what determines when the regen engages when I come off the throttle? If I recall, the different modes engage depending on how far off the throttle I come. But I am not sure how to set this, or if you can, in custom modes.

Someone smarter than me please enlighten us:)

NetPro

• View Profile
Re: Please explain the braking regeneration on the SRF to me
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »

Very good questions, gstrub.
I was planning to start playing with custom settings in the next few days but realized I don't understand that well the dynamics of regeneration and braking myself.
Hopefully, someone that has done some reading/research on this can shed some light on the subject. It will be much appreciated!
2020 Zero SR/F

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »

I couldn't tell a difference on my DSR and FX with those settings.

If I set my custom profile at 100% on both braking options, then switched between Sport (which is 0%) and Custom mode while braking and/or coasting, I could barely discern a difference. 

The only thing I noticed when it was changed in there was torque % and top speed.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »

I believe the custom regen setting work the same as on my dsr. From my experience, the brake regen doesn't change the braking feel that much at the lever, but you can definately feel it working. It feels very natural, I love it. So I suspect it will save your brake pads which is a win/win. For that reason, I set brake regen at 100%. I have passive set at 20% which really doesn't feel any differ than 0% imo. I like to free wheel. But if you like engine braking, than setting it at 100% should satisfy that feeling. But If you expect to gain any range through regenerative braking, you might be disappointed because I haven't noticed any improvement no matter what setting it's on. But I love the ability to change it. I only wish that it can be changed without having to connect to my smart phone app. That may actually be different on the sr/f.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:09:29 PM by alko »

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »

I couldn't tell a difference on my DSR and FX with those settings.

If I set my custom profile at 100% on both braking options, then switched between Sport (which is 0%) and Custom mode while braking and/or coasting, I could barely discern a difference. 

The only thing I noticed when it was changed in there was torque % and top speed.

Sport mode on the dsr is not set at 0%. It feels more like 50%.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 11:42:51 PM »

I thought Sport was 100% torque, 0% everything else.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »

The SR/F behaves a bit different: If I select ECO mode, I rarely have to use the brakes while riding at moderate speed in the neighborhood.
It really slows the bike down when you let go of the throttle, pretty much like applying the brakes. When compared to SPORT, it is a huge difference.
I know SPORT is very different than ECO in everything, specially the regen braking and I do see a big difference in the estimated range and/or how fast the battery depletes, when I switch from one mode to the other, all other factors remaining the same.

Have not used RAIN at all and very little STREET.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:46:31 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »

The SR/F has progressive regen on the throttle.  I've moved my custom settings to 100% on both braking and regen.  At neutral throttle I coast, but as I back off on the throttle I get more and more regen the more I back off.  It works very well that way.  My DSR did not do that, you just got the percentage of off-throttle regen as soon as you hit neutral throttle.  I did my first 50 mile commute in this morning set like this and I did not have to touch the brake (boring roads!).

As a side note, I think there is a bug on the SR/F where you can't really go to zero off-throttle regen.  It seems like it still applies quite a bit even when set to zero (you can see it in the power and torque displays as well, so I don't think it's passive drag).

Anyway, it's 100% for me from now on!

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 12:53:56 AM »

I thought Sport was 100% torque, 0% everything else.

It's 0% brake regen, but I'm guessing 50% when coasting.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 12:59:21 AM »

As a side note, I think there is a bug on the SR/F where you can't really go to zero off-throttle regen.  It seems like it still applies quite a bit even when set to zero (you can see it in the power and torque displays as well, so I don't think it's passive drag).

Steve

Right on, Steve! I have noticed the same thing and remember thinking it was odd and wondered the reasoning the engineers had to design it like that.
Maybe an upcoming code upgrade will change that?
2020 Zero SR/F

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 02:08:40 AM »

Not quite sure why you'd want 0% regen unless it's just testing.

I've been meaning to make a custom mode of 100% torque 100% both regen for our demo model. I think sport mode could've used a little more active regen.
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »

With my two Zeros (not the SR/F's) I set my custom for 100% braking regen,  20% deceleration regen. Many use 0% deceleration regen  for the freeway because you get better range by better coasting than you would ever get from a regen that slows the bike down way too much. But I have noticed that our Zeros do not coast all that well even at zero %, and so I use 20% because I cannot notice any difference at all between that and zero percent. But I would not go higher than 20% for the freeway on the deceleration regen.

But we might as well get all the regen we can when we need to stop, so braking regen is set to 100%.  That  reduces brake wear also.

My custom mode is my freeway mode and for other places where there is very little stopping or slowing down. 

Eco for slow city traffic.

Are there reasons why any of this would be different on the SR/F?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 02:58:12 AM »

With my two Zeros (not the SR/F's) I set my custom for 100% braking regen,  20% deceleration regen. Many use 0% deceleration regen  for the freeway because you get better range by better coasting than you would ever get from a regen that slows the bike down way too much. But I have noticed that our Zeros do not coast all that well even at zero %, and so I use 20% because I cannot notice any difference at all between that and zero percent. But I would not go higher than 20% for the freeway on the deceleration regen.

But we might as well get all the regen we can when we need to stop, so braking regen is set to 100%.  That  reduces brake wear also.

My custom mode is my freeway mode and for other places where there is very little stopping or slowing down. 

Eco for slow city traffic.

Are there reasons why any of this would be different on the SR/F?

-Don-  Reno, NV

Don,

For me, progressive regen on the throttle makes the difference (just set it to 100% and use the throttle for both acceleration and braking, unless you really need to slow down (front brake required)).  I'd never have set up my DSR that way, but love it on the SR/F.

My custom profile is 100% everything, except for a cap on max speed of 90 MPH.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 05:11:36 AM »

I am just trying to figure out what 100% brake regen means. I definitely feel a much sharper stop when it’s on 100. Does that mean it is just kicking in earlier when I depress the brake, or harder?

I also notice the “reverse torque” even when the neutral regen is set to zero. In Econ mode, the reverse torque bar is much bigger. In sport mode (only has 3 or 5% neutral regen) it is very small, but does not go away when I turn it completely off and I still feel it. So I am not sure it can be completely disabled to coast.

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 05:18:14 AM »

I am just trying to figure out what 100% brake regen means. I definitely feel a much sharper stop when it’s on 100. Does that mean it is just kicking in earlier when I depress the brake, or harder?

Sorry if I'm assuming your question incorrectly, but here's my take on it.

Regen without "brakes" are limited due to having too much braking force without a rear brake light being shown, increasing your chances of getting rear ended because drivers behind you don't realize you're braking. Once your brake light is triggered, the brake regen limit is increased and this is the extra regen you feel slowing you.
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs
Pages: [1] 2