• March 28, 2024, 03:03:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FXS with a level 2 charger?  (Read 2771 times)

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
FXS with a level 2 charger?
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »

Does anyone here own one? Seen one? Have pictures? This is about the only competitor in my market to paying up and buying an SR/F.
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

valnar

• View Profile
Re: FXS with a level 2 charger?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »

An FXS is on my list to buy, so here's hoping to a major upgrade in 2020.
Zero FXS 2020

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »

I have an FXS, and have been contemplating adding this charging feature to it. From what I've seen the best way to get level 2 charging would be with a pair of diginow chargers, but they don't have a clean mounting pan, like they do for other models. Their site says to contact them: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QIaex_Ypm70J:https://diginow.it/installations.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us Apparently their site has been redesigned recently and doesn't have all the old info.

One big problem is where to mount the chargers. I was thinking, since I have a top case on the back, I might be able to mount a pair of them like saddlebags. It might look cool.

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

I have an FXS, and have been contemplating adding this charging feature to it. From what I've seen the best way to get level 2 charging would be with a pair of diginow chargers, but they don't have a clean mounting pan, like they do for other models. Their site says to contact them: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QIaex_Ypm70J:https://diginow.it/installations.php+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us Apparently their site has been redesigned recently and doesn't have all the old info.

One big problem is where to mount the chargers. I was thinking, since I have a top case on the back, I might be able to mount a pair of them like saddlebags. It might look cool.

There is one FXS for sale in Denver currently, and it has a small top box that seems to work with the overall look and doesn't seem too out of place. That could be a good, non-invasive system.
-Curtis

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »

We're no longer making chargers for Zero bikes. That being said here's our FXS with 10kW of onboard charging with the 1C restriction bypassed:

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »

We're no longer making chargers for Zero bikes. That being said here's our FXS with 10kW of onboard charging with the 1C restriction bypassed:

Why are you guys no longer making chargers for them? With a little tuck and tidy, it could feasibly be hidden in a top box on top of the rear fender pretty seamlessly.
-Curtis

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 11:39:42 PM »

Rather than retype the reasons I'll just put this here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/diginow-supercharger-v2-5-mass-production/x/19740763?create_edit=true#/updates/all

It's not a matter of where to mount them that made us decide to stop.

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 01:02:34 AM »

Rather than retype the reasons I'll just put this here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/diginow-supercharger-v2-5-mass-production/x/19740763?create_edit=true#/updates/all

Sorry to hear that, and all the best in the future. Without excess capital, startups can be very difficult I'm sure. Hope you guys don't give up hope and try a different avenue.
-Curtis

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 01:06:11 AM »

Thanks! Motorcycles are our first love, but it makes more sense to pursue the greater EV market beyond bikes. This is a really cool time to be in this industry.

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 02:05:13 AM »

Through the years, I've worked in anything from automotive technician work, automotive service writing, logistics and coordination, and most recently motorcycle sales. I definitely took a big pay hit going into motorcycle sales, but I've had the most fun and been most passionate about it. Now to shift into the EV market, it's a whole new prospect of possibilities. I'm with you 110%!
-Curtis

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 03:38:41 AM »

Through the years, I've worked in anything from automotive technician work, automotive service writing, logistics and coordination, and most recently motorcycle sales. I definitely took a big pay hit going into motorcycle sales, but I've had the most fun and been most passionate about it. Now to shift into the EV market, it's a whole new prospect of possibilities. I'm with you 110%!

My Zero dealer told me last weekend that they sent two of their salespeople to the Zero factory for extensive training on the features of the SR/F.  Shortly after they returned from that training they left the shop for another job.  I wasn't told where they went.  My guess is that they moved to an auto dealer, likely one that sells EVs.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 03:55:40 AM »

Whats the pack temp like after charging >1C? Also I know the farrasis spec sheet states 1C max charging, but of course all rules are meant to be broken :). Any concern of plating / battery degradation?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 04:03:52 AM »

Whats the pack temp like after charging >1C? Also I know the farrasis spec sheet states 1C max charging, but of course all rules are meant to be broken :). Any concern of plating / battery degradation?

Can get dangerously hot. There are a couple safeguard in place. First, the BMS doesn't allow charging past a certain point. We have modified these numbers but the system is in place. Second, this system used our digiNow v2.5 board with full CAN communication that monitors pack temperature and charges based off that data and the information we got from Farasis. Add all that into the fact that my brother (bike owner) rides like a maniac and he's had to stop and let them cool more than once. Then again he's got close to 30,000 miles on it. All that being said a 20 minute charge off level 2 is extremely enjoyable.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »

My Zero dealer told me last weekend that they sent two of their salespeople to the Zero factory for extensive training on the features of the SR/F.  Shortly after they returned from that training they left the shop for another job.  I wasn't told where they went.  My guess is that they moved to an auto dealer, likely one that sells EVs.   ???

Who is your closest Zero dealer there?

Common problem with Zeros, Especially here in Reno where I don't think we now have anybody who works on Zeros. I am many versions behind on my firmware and cannot even get it updated. Not even the first update (after that, I should be able to do it myself).   And then the motor commissioning--was never done after I purchased the bikes  and I now have more than  7,500 miles on each of my Zeros.  Fortunately, they still both run fine.  I rode my SR here from Auburn today.

Perhaps I should try Elk Grove Power Sports. I wonder if they can do a FW update as I wait.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »

Based on that information alone, I'd be worried that they left because they saw something at Zero that they didn't like??  Problems afoot?  Were there any other context clues that led you to believe they went to a car dealership?

Have you talked to Zero management?  Are they aware of the isolation issues?  I'm wondering if they are actively working on the problem for future bikes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:45:13 PM by valnar »
Zero FXS 2020
Pages: [1] 2 3