• April 26, 2024, 02:37:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Funkiest looking SR/F East of the Mississippi river after handlebar swap  (Read 1481 times)

NetPro

• View Profile

Finished installing the handlebar this weekend. Biggest delay was getting it powder coated but it was worth it waiting: The shop was able to match the sheen of the original bar perfectly and gave it an extra-thick coat. Very pleased with that side of the project.
Does the bike look good after the mod? I cannot say it does but I CAN say it feels perfect and is a pleasure to ride now (even with my aching back).

In all, in addition to the bar, all I had to buy was:
A set of shims from 7/8 to 1 1/8 for the clamp      https://tboltusa.com/store/brp-18-to-78-handlebar-adapters-p-10682.html
A brake line 5" longer than the original                 https://www.denniskirk.com/magnum-shielding/black-pearl-designer-series-abs-upper-brake-line-35-10mm-21-in-as47121.p1910487.prd/1910487.sku
A 90 degrees side-sweep banjo                          https://classictube.com/product/brake-hose-fitting-an-3-3-8-10mm-x-1-0-x-3an-3-8-24-90-degree-side-sweep-chrome/
A pack of low profile zip ties (identical to what the bikes comes with from Zero)           https://www.ebay.com/itm/263496642855

I found a local shop with a CNC pipe bender and they made me a customized bar from 7/8" steel pipe.

Since the wiring is long enough to reach, there was no need to extend them: Just re-route slightly some of the cables from the behind the headlight area in a more direct way to where they go.

Had to drill 5 holes in the handlebar: 2 (for the heated grip on the left side) require 4 MM thread. The other three are just to "receive" the locator pin built into the control component attached to the bar and prevent slippage.

Yes, it was a lot of work having to remove all those parts around the headlamp, the "tank" itself and draining the brake fluid and recharging it, but I sure am glad I did as this will allow me to enjoy the machine a lot more than before.
Do I truly like the bike's look now? Not completely: The bar looks too retro and old but if that is what it takes to sit straight and be comfortable, I can live with that.
The good news is this is a non-destructive mod: I can restore the original bar and put everything back the way it was in just a few hours. I would not have done otherwise.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:18:14 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

NetPro

• View Profile

Picture 2
2020 Zero SR/F

NetPro

• View Profile

Picture 3
2020 Zero SR/F

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Nice modification, and thanks for tracking how you did it.

Ergonomic fit is important (no point in paying a physical therapist what you save on gas), and options for the SR/F until a sibling model comes out are a good idea.

It does look a little odd, and I’d personally opt for risers first and then maybe a DS bar swap since it might require fewer modifications. Let us know how it works for you!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NetPro

• View Profile

Nice modification, and thanks for tracking how you did it.

Ergonomic fit is important (no point in paying a physical therapist what you save on gas), and options for the SR/F until a sibling model comes out are a good idea.

It does look a little odd, and I’d personally opt for risers first and then maybe a DS bar swap since it might require fewer modifications. Let us know how it works for you!

Hey Brian, really glad to see you are back on the forum keeping us straight as you recover from the accident :)
I thought about the risers but was concerned the gained height would block the view of the bottom part of the display; as you know, the bar is mounted right next to it and given the price of the risers I thought it wasn't worth it spending time and money on it.

I do recognize that most people don't need such high bars and one half high, like this one would work for them: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pro-taper-evo-adventure-handlebars-1-18

Using this bar will give you about half the rise as the one I have and you wouldn't need to buy the shims because this bar is 1 1/8 at the clamp area.
The other items would still need to be purchased as the wiggle room with the brake line is minimal and you would need a line an inch or 2 longer for proper fit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:40:52 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

DonTom

• View Profile

Great job.

Now if somebody can also find a fix for the footpegs being up too high and/or seat being to low for me, then I could be around 22K$ poorer also!

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Zero engineers and designers have been vocal about the footpegs supports being more easily swappable. Whether Zero makes accessory options to remount the footpegs lower or someone CNCs a batch of brackets, I don’t think it’ll be a gap that lasts too long.

Fred

• View Profile

Nice work. You've done a very neat job of it. Not to my taste to be honest, but if you like it that's all that matters.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

vinceherman

• View Profile

Yes, it was a lot of work having to remove all those parts around the headlamp, the "tank" itself and draining the brake fluid and recharging it, but I sure am glad I did as this will allow me to enjoy the machine a lot more than before.

Can you talk to us more about this?
What tools?
How much did you have to open the wiring harness?

DonTom

• View Profile

Zero engineers and designers have been vocal about the footpegs supports being more easily swappable. Whether Zero makes accessory options to remount the footpegs lower or someone CNCs a batch of brackets, I don’t think it’ll be a gap that lasts too long.
Yep, I am patiently waiting to see what happens. For now, I have done what I like most about the SR/F Premium, to my 2017 SR the 6.3 KW charging.   In fact, at home, I can charge mine at 8 KW with a couple of separate AC lines for two quick chargers. But that will be too much to take on the road along with my two Elcon 2.5KW chargers.

BTW, IYO, is being a few lbs over the weight limit in each saddle bag (but only occasionally) much of an issue?  So far, all has been okay.

I am glad to see you posting and helping others again!

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

Yep, I am patiently waiting to see what happens. For now, I have done what I like most about the SR/F Premium, to my 2017 SR the 6.3 KW charging.   In fact, at home, I can charge mine at 8 KW with a couple of separate AC lines for two quick chargers. But that will be too much to take on the road along with my two Elcon 2.5KW chargers.

BTW, IYO, is being a few lbs over the weight limit in each saddle bag (but only occasionally) much of an issue?  So far, all has been okay.

I am glad to see you posting and helping others again!

Each Elcon 2500 weighs 15 pounds, and I had some issues putting one in a top case or a side case. For the top rack, it broke the mounting bolts under the seat, and for the side rack, there was a suspicious amount of sag in the tubing after a while (months). I’d brace the side rack more if I were you, or upgrade to the Happy Trails rack.

If it’s lighter than that, you’re probably okay, though.

I’m online when I can be. It’s easier to type than to speak right now, and offers a way to communicate that I’m not getting while recuperating.

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile

Very nice detail you put into this project! Thanks for sharing and it looks great!
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

alko

• View Profile

Looks surprising really good. Nice job!

Richard230

• View Profile

Beautiful workmanship, but it sure looks strange to my eye on the SR/F.  Those bars would be prefect on a EV cruiser - if someone would only mass produce one.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile

Well dayum, that looks quite a bit better than it sounded when you were planning it. I also prefer high mirrors.

Does it still handle OK?

My problem with SR/F is also the high footpegs / low seat / fully bent knees.
Pages: [1] 2 3