• March 28, 2024, 06:23:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rescue a dead DS 2013  (Read 446 times)

laschrocket

• View Profile
Rescue a dead DS 2013
« on: July 21, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »

I just got to buy a wrecked Zero DS 2013 for about the price of a new Montenergy 1507. Most part seems ok except for dead battery and missing belt. My local zero workshop had a look at it but after an unsuccessful MBB readout they told me it's not worth the effort, which didn't surprise me. Afaik the bike as been standing outdoors for about 3,5 years, probably at 0% SoC from the start.
I still haven't given up but I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
I've opened the front of the monolith battery pack and made a male connector to interface the female connector coming from all the cell groups, (and temp sensors I guess, 29 pins for cell groups and 7 more that I haven't figured out yet). I charged the pack really slowly under careful observation to 95v (started at 1,8v so it was really dead), using a bench supply, which means about 3,3v/cell and then tried to reconnect the BMS and continue charging with the onboard charger but no signs of life at all weather I use the key or charger, not even the BMS led's. I was hoping to get a bunch of error codes to start working on.
I didn't have any tool to measure the capacity at the outputs of the bench supply but at the input it used about 1,3kwh to 95v and the cell groups seems to behave quite similar.

I don't have high expectations from the old pack but even if I'm ending up not being able to use it at all I want to start of by putting the system under power to try the rest of the parts out, and see if the motor is spinning, at least it turns freely. Got some Zoe modules that I thought of retrofitting in the battery case if I have to let go of the Farasis cells.

I've been checking all fuses, tried to reset the BMS (with both buttons) and disconnected the MBB to reset.
I've tested the main contactor separately and it switches on at about 50v, only before I charged the battery though.
Tried to get something out of the uart at the odb but seems dead.
Measured the pins at the com port on the BMS but all seems to be close to 0v

All I've got are:
*Some clicking from the charger relays when plugging in, and then I actually get a slowly rising voltage at the motor controller inputs, up to about 80v while the charged draws about 10w from the mains.
* 95v from battery at pin 18 on the MBB connector 1 (https://zeromanual.com/images/b/b4/ZeroWireDrawing_2013_S_11-4_R-1-3-0_no-grid_highRes.pdf)
* 95v at the 4pin connector leading to the ignition key

Anyone got a clue if there is anything else I can check to get me further?

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: Rescue a dead DS 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »

The battery pack is permanently damaged from the low discharge and can possibly catch fire in the future as a result. So don't try to use it and definitely don't sell it to someone else.

The motor and controller on that bike are low end and outdated too. Personally speaking I think you paid $2000 for a headache that is basically only worth parting out. And there are much better and easier bikes to part out.

laschrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »

I'm aware of the risk and of course won't resell it. Payed a little over 1000usd for it, https://evea-kartmasters.fr/en/synchronous-motors/1817-me1507-pmsm-brushless-motors.html
It's still able to get registered, I'm fine with lower capacity and power specs compared to original and I prefer to fix used stuff rather than buying new.
I might be able to arrange another power supply than the original battery to try the other parts of the bike out but would require more work.
Please reply here if you got any hints that can bring me forward.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 11:44:34 PM »

Hmmm what's "wrecked" entail? 
A just "dead" bike could be able to have the 2013 battery recall service if it never had it.  Is it an 11.4 battery or other?
If it had been in a crash I think that would be hard to sell that idea to Zero.  Maybe a 14.4 battery at cost?
I have a 13 DS with 30k miles on it and it's going fine.  The suspension isn't that good but it feels lighter than my 17 DSR.

I see your catch 22 not knowing what else might be wrong with it but "if" it's just the battery (and for sure if you get it replaced for free) you'd have a hell of a steal on that bike.

laschrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »

A just "dead" bike could be able to have the 2013 battery recall service if it never had it.  Is it an 11.4 battery or other?
If it had been in a crash I think that would be hard to sell that idea to Zero.  Maybe a 14.4 battery at cost?
I have a 13 DS with 30k miles on it and it's going fine.  The suspension isn't that good but it feels lighter than my 17 DSR.

I see your catch 22 not knowing what else might be wrong with it but "if" it's just the battery (and for sure if you get it replaced for free) you'd have a hell of a steal on that bike.

Good point, wrecked was probably not the right word, it was stolen and then abandoned. No signs of any crash. Yes it's a 11.4 battery but the bike has already been at the workshop as mentioned so I assume they won't get me a new pack. But maybe worth ask Zero directly..

Will charge the pack slightly higher, as 95v might be too close to 0% SoC for the BMS to wake up.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 01:13:34 AM »

You can give the VIN to zero and they can tell you if the battery swap has been done.
Mine was one of if not the first to have the swap done and it got a MY14 11.4 battery but most got bigger packs.
I would go this route before trying to revive your old pack.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 04:52:11 AM »

How do you suppose he would get the battery replaced for free? The warranty is expired.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:10:22 AM »

All 2013 S and DS models' batteries were recalled.  So if the bike's battery hasn't been replaced yet he would be (maybe) able to get it replaced now.
Pages: [1]