• April 26, 2024, 07:07:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Helmet sized frunk mod?  (Read 1122 times)

laschrocket

• View Profile
Helmet sized frunk mod?
« on: July 21, 2019, 05:39:13 PM »

I've been thinking for some time that it would be nice to be able to have a bit more storage available onboard, preferably large enough for a helmet, so you could keep your helmet dry and a bit safer when parked and to easier bring a 2nd helmet while riding. As there is quite some unused space on top of the battery at the Zero S/DS I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen anyone doing such a mod yet. Is there anyone else that found someone doing this?
It's quite tight but my Shoei Quest medium could be fitted 2 ways as I see it, and my Shoei RJ Platinum is no problem to fit in between the frame tubes. The fairing needs to be a bit higher than the original though, but not a problem as I see it. Also if you don't have the need for storing a helmet some more space could be used for groceries, chargers or whatever which must be useful for others. My bike is a 2013 DS 11.4 by the way, but afaik the frame has not changed much, if I'm not wrong some later bikes has some plate on top of the battery box, which might interfere with the available space.

I got decent skills in solidworks, fusion and aluminum welding so hopefully something can come out of this idea.

Inspiration;

Honda NS-1

Suzuki Across

Honda NC700X

Aprilia mana 850

from r/motorcycles

3D material:
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5341.msg37931#msg37931

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/zero-motorcycles-ds-zf-2014/

Took some pics while testing the fit, rear facing is probably better, atm the doghouse is uncovered, which allows for a little more room, could probably slightly alter the cover to gain almost as much room but still be protectiv. See the attachments.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:45:09 PM by laschrocket »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Helmet sized frunk mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »

Well I've thought of it but when I took the tank off and saw how it was made, with vertical halves and had no real bottom so I just left it alone.
I had thought of cutting it in half below the "horns" and clam shelling the whole thing with hings at the front.  It wouldn't have held my helmet but the unused horns and side space seemed wasted.
The only thing I'd say is you may need to mold it in such a way as to leave the same air gap over the battery as the OEM tank for heat management.
I guess put a inch or two wood block on top of the battery and see how far that lifts you helmet and mold from there.  The helmet lock attachment at the front of the frame is just begging to be an attachment point as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »

I found it far easier to just install the rear rack and top box.  If you ever decided to go with the charge tank or the power tank, you'd STILL have the top box to store your helmet.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »

JaimeC let the man with the skill set make something cool (that I can't make on my own).  :)
Annnnd what if he want to store two helmets?

laschrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 10:13:33 PM »

Well I've thought of it but when I took the tank off and saw how it was made, with vertical halves and had no real bottom so I just left it alone.
I had thought of cutting it in half below the "horns" and clam shelling the whole thing with hings at the front.  It wouldn't have held my helmet but the unused horns and side space seemed wasted.
The only thing I'd say is you may need to mold it in such a way as to leave the same air gap over the battery as the OEM tank for heat management.
I guess put a inch or two wood block on top of the battery and see how far that lifts you helmet and mold from there.  The helmet lock attachment at the front of the frame is just begging to be an attachment point as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Good thought about the airflow, I got the top of the pack scratched from the bottom of the small original compartment so at least on the 2013, it's not a complete gap, but might be a good idea to not cover it up to much. My idea is to use some kind of water tight fabric in the bottom, seems faster than trying to make something hard to make an precise fit to use all the space.

I found it far easier to just install the rear rack and top box.  If you ever decided to go with the charge tank or the power tank, you'd STILL have the top box to store your helmet.
Thanks for the hint, but I don't like the looks of a box in the back and when I've tried bikes with a rear box it tends to be in the way.

JaimeC let the man with the skill set make something cool (that I can't make on my own).  :)
Annnnd what if he want to store two helmets?

:)

Sent a PM to the thread owner in previously mentioned thread to see if she/he wants to share the 3d model without the tank;

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 10:43:52 PM »

It's a good idea. Much better than a stupid rear case or panniers. Please make it.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »

Lashrocket, you can make it out of whatever you want of course but I didn't know if your familiar with useing a sheet of kydex with a heat gun and a vacuum peg board setup.  There are YT videos for making holsters and knife sheaths.
Seems like you could lip it over the frame rail and draw it down with a vacuum bag to make the bottom piece.
I haven't priced large kydex sheets though.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:58:53 AM »

Sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Good luck. As usual, I disagree with flatetyre.
Pages: [1]