• March 29, 2024, 02:09:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New to the EV world  (Read 322 times)

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
New to the EV world
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:56:57 PM »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the EV world. My brother has owned a self built e-bike (pedal assist, probably only a ~1kWh battery system) for many years and it has always interested me. I've always been a motorcyclist, owning anything from a Honda Shadow bobber to KTM enduros to various super sports. Working for a motorcycle dealership in Colorado now, we recently took on Zero motorcycles and I'm infatuated after riding their lineup. I'm about ready to buy- torn between the FXS and SR/F. I have a 20 mile one way commute 5 days a week, and I think either would be the perfect bike for my situation. I like the SR/F for the longer range and level 2 charging, but I wouldn't need it for the majority of my riding, and the price is rather steep. It does have quite a premium fit and finish over the more barebones FXS. Outside of commuting I often ride out into the mountains around us, and would definitely appreciate a longer range for that. I don't really want a 14.4 anything outside of the SR/F as they really feel much heavier and slower without the 75-10. I wouldn't mind that weight on the SR/F as it is nice and low, extra motor output to boot. Any input from owners of either? Also, where are most of you from? I see lots of CA and NV, anyone from CO?
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: New to the EV world
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »

Welcome. Nice location. FXS and SR/F are about as different as you can get. The FXS is very much smaller, lighter and much better for anything that doesn't require fast or far. I have a FXS and for the riding I do it is awesome.

I would totally recommend the FXS, and for now a gas bike on the side if you really need something for longer rides.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:06:53 AM »

I live in Texas but will be moving to the mountains next year. I look forward to bringing my SR/F along but I'll bring gas bikes too. Long uphill pulls are tough on your range. Was just in Colorado driving my Volt and saw this. I found more charging in Estes Park than on my last visit but charging can still be sparse in the mountains.  If you can get to the top of a pass the ride down the other side should be a blast.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:02 AM »

I would totally recommend the FXS, and for now a gas bike on the side if you really need something for longer rides.
Can't believe I'm saying it, but I think I agree with flat tire.

Also, FX if you want to hit some trails up there.  FXS if not. 

SR/F is an expensive and fantastic bike... for 60-70 miles.  That's a REALLY fun 60-70 miles though.

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:11 AM »

Yeah, I have a 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R that I have a spare set of Warp 9 wheels for supermoto. I usually ride dirt on weekends and commute on supermoto wheels during the week. Not the best 'longer distance' bike with no wind protection and gearing ideal off the highway, but I don't do much motorcycle touring anyways. For stuff far away, I usually load the 690 into the bed of my truck and seek out trail systems or passes and drive there, ride, and camp or just make a day trip out of it. I don't want an FX because I'd be tempted to try stupid stuff off-road and they aren't quite as sturdy as a true enduro bike. I'd rather have an old, cheap 250/450 to thrash and not be as concerned about breaking it. Riding off-road we really push bikes to the limits. I ride my 690 like it's a MX, real enduro, and rarely a trials bike. We hit jumps, find hillclimbs, and really kinda abuse bikes off-road. 

The FXS seems to be a great fit for a fun commuter. I do like the thought of being able to travel to Denver on the SR/F and level 2 charging, as well as being a more premium bike. Either way, I don't think I'll be disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:31:22 AM by bergercurtis »
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

willbrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 02:45:16 AM »

Welcome!  I lived in CO for four years, and I would go with the SRF for the canyons. The FXS is awesome 0-40mph, but from 40 up the SRF rules. Also the range would be nice for some of the loops there.
1980 Honda CT110
1981 Honda CM400
1995 Ducati 900SS
2020 Zero SR/F Seabright Blue Standard
I am a Zero Motorcycles employee, but I speak only for myself
Pages: [1]