• April 25, 2024, 09:17:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Potential SRF Buyer...On the fence  (Read 740 times)

EDoggN

• View Profile
Potential SRF Buyer...On the fence
« on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »

Hello all!

I have been reading and watching reviews on the SR/F for several weeks now.  Consistently, reviewers love the bike but are troubled by the price and range.  I test drove the bike a couple weeks ago and love the concept of having an electric bike (the bike is awesome!).  I sold my gas cars a couple years ago and now am all electric (Tesla Model S and 3) so I am comfortable with living the EV lifestyle.  I am hoping this forum will be able to answer a few questions that are holding me back from buying..

1 - Charging: I use an App called Plugshare which locates chargers around the country. Owning a Tesla, I typically use Superchargers and haven't paid much attention to other charging locations.  I see that many car dealerships have level 2 chargers installed, but are those open to anyone?  I was under the impression that dealers would only welcome brands that they sold, is this true?  If these chargers are open to anyone, this opens up a lot of charging locations that I previously discounted.

2 - Range: I would like to be able to ride the bike to/from my work which is 60 miles round trip.  Most of these miles are on the interstate.  Is this easily doable or should I be worried about range?  (I am 6'3 and 230 lbs)

3 - Purchase Price:  I rarely pay MSRP for a bike (especially one with such resale uncertainty).  For those that have purchased an SR/F, are the dealers budging off the MSRP? Paying full price and the limited market for future re-sale is a tough pill to swallow.  Anyone purchase a "demo" bike?  If so, how much of a discount did you get?

I appreciate everyones time who can help me out by commenting!!

vinceherman

• View Profile
Re: Potential SRF Buyer...On the fence
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »

I have 3 level2 locations near my workplace.  1 is free but often has electric autos during the entire work day.  2 are dealerships.  I rode through the dealerships to locate the chargers but have not tried them yet.  The plug share reports at one said other makes have successfully used it.

75(ish) mile round trip with 80% interstate.  I start from 90% SoC in the morning.  If I do not do 85+mph I can make it with charge left to spare.
Today I rode in at 60mph mostly and only used 28%.  I am also about 230lbs. 

I paid MSRP.  I am not the most successful haggler, so that might not be a valid data point.  They did promise to order any apparel and let me have it at cost.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

A better question is how hard you would have to ride to NOT get 60 miles range on the commute.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »

1 - I use Plugshare app. As you will see on the comments for each charger location access to car dealer chargers varies widely from dealer to dealer. I have only charged at one car dealer and that was while there on business. It is generally more convenient for me to charge at an EVgo or ChargePoint charger located near a store or restaurant on the rare occasions I charge away from home. L2 charging there does require an account but is often free. So far I have only charged my SR/F away from home to test the infrastructure.

2 - Highway range depends on speed of course. My limited testing in the brief time I have had the bike fits well with the guidance given on the Zero website. I believe that 80 miles of range at a constant 70mph speed is realistic given flat-ish terrain and still air. Riding into a strong headwind will reduce that range just as it does with a Tesla or gas car. Riding uphill seems to impact range much less than it does in a car but I haven't documented this with any care yet (live in Texas). Big fistfulls of throttle, hard to resist on the SR/F, reduce range noticeably. The range estimate on the dash can be adjusted to your riding style using the app.

3 - Purchase price? This is the hot new toy. It comes at a premium. The depreciation on any new motorcycle, especially expensive units, is very high, much higher than cars. Zero's warranty on demo units varies from new bike sales. Since this is a new model you can be certain there are rolling revisions as production ramps up. A newly made bike, it seems to me, is more likely to be issue free than an early production demo.

The more I have ridden my SR/F the more I have enjoyed it. I come here from riding quick gas bikes, not electric. I've had electric cars now for four years now and have become comfortable with my local Dallas/Fort Worth area non-Tesla charging infrastructure. It's easy to use and seems to grow every week.

EDoggN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »

Any Tesla owners use a TeslaTap Adapter?  This would open up even more charging locations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N55QKFH/?coliid=I37SCDJTS3JBA6&colid=1FAR2M9J1AF7S&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Can this fit in the storage compartment?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »

Any Tesla owners use a TeslaTap Adapter?  This would open up even more charging locations.
Yes, I use the Tesla Tap but I have only used it at homes with my Zeros. With my Tesla Wall Connectors. I use the Tesla Tap with two Zero Quick Chargers and the onboard so I don't need to run extension cords all over the house. It works very will. But make sure you have voltage on the Tesla Tap for more than 30 seconds before you try to use it. IOW, do NOT connect a J-plug to it for the first half minute after it has voltage on it or else it will not work.

I find all  J-1772 charge stations to be free here in Auburn, CA  as well as in Reno, NV, where I mostly live. Also in Colfax, CA. But they charge in Truckee, CA, Cisco Grove, CA  and several other places, but never more than a few bucks. Sacramento, some are free, some charge a little to charge. PlugShare will tell you.

With Plugshare, turn all charge stations off except J-1772 and then look at the locations. You will see many.

Be sure to have a ChargePoint card if you don't already have such. GreenLots for Truckee, CA. Blink for Tucson, AZ.   IOW, the cards you need will vary by location.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 12:19:56 AM »

I have 3 level2 locations near my workplace.  1 is free but often has electric autos during the entire work day.  2 are dealerships.  I rode through the dealerships to locate the chargers but have not tried them yet.  The plug share reports at one said other makes have successfully used it.

75(ish) mile round trip with 80% interstate.  I start from 90% SoC in the morning.  If I do not do 85+mph I can make it with charge left to spare.

I paid MSRP.  I am not the most successful haggler, so that might not be a valid data point.  They did promise to order any apparel and let me have it at cost.

You did a 75 mile trip @ 60mph and only used 28%? That doesn't sound possible!

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 12:25:05 AM »

I think he meant he used 72% to go 75 miles at 60 mph.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:17 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N55QKFH/?coliid=I37SCDJTS3JBA6&colid=1FAR2M9J1AF7S&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Can this fit in the storage compartment?

Currently unavailable from Amazon.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »

You did a 75 mile trip @ 60mph and only used 28%? That doesn't sound possible!

Only half possible.  I rode in to work completing half of my 75 mile round trip.  :-D
But that 28% is my best one way commute so far.  It has been as bad as 51%

From an earlier post on another thread
51% used at 85+mph.
40% used at 65+mph.
30% used at 60-65mph *with* minor drafting behind box trucks.

So today's 28% usage bests my previous 30% consumption on a one way trip in to work.
Clearly I have been experimenting with different ride styles and the effect on economy.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »

I think he meant he used 72% to go 75 miles at 60 mph.
I re-read my post and I can see it is not clear.
I do have a 75 mile round trip commute.
I did only use 28% on my way *IN* to work this morning completing half of my round trip commute, so 36(ish) miles.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 12:34:43 AM »

Thanks for clarifying. That's still pretty good at that speed.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 12:37:20 AM »

Currently unavailable from Amazon.
Then buy the 50 amp one shown here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 02:37:58 AM »

Guys, just buy directly from him. He's a really good guy: http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

VampyreLegion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »

Plugshare should have some info on charging stations, but you can always drive there to check them out.

Range - depends on a few factors. but the bigger ones are , terrain type / aerodynamics / weight / speed.  Your 60 mile round trip is within range.

Purchase Price - this is a hot new model with a waiting list, if anything current owners might be able to sell for more due to the wait. currently MSRP is a good deal, not sure what a demo bike with limited warranty would sell for and some dealers are not selling demos for various reasons.

FWIW ... I got my SR/F on July 5th and could not be happier! It's an amazing bike, no regrets.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:31:31 PM by VampyreLegion »
Pages: [1]