• March 29, 2024, 06:12:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: used my FX as a dirt bike  (Read 1004 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
used my FX as a dirt bike
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »

Saturday I rode sweep for a trail run event in one of Missouri's state parks on my 2017 FX.  I had removed the passenger pegs and brackets, turn signals, and kickstand.  I only have a bathroom scales but my stand sits on it nicely and the bike weighed about 275 pounds.  This is about 25 pounds heavier than my KTM 350 EXC-F.

Anyway,  the trail is a single track that we have used for mountain bike races and national enduro events.  I had to adjust a little because the handlebars are a little wider than on my KTM and of course the power delivery is different.  The FX handles well and was lots of fun to ride. With knobbies it will be a good dirt bike and I think I could do just about anything on it that I do on my KTM.  It is an 8 mile loop.  I rode it twice and few other little errands and when I loaded up the SOC was at 64%.  So, not bad for range.

Here's a helmet cam clip of part of the trail if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPOKsn0DmEs

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: used my FX as a dirt bike
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:14:11 PM »

Very cool.  I assume that was with stock tires?

Wish I had something like that to ride my FX on around here.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »

Yep, stock tires.  They work on the street and kind of OK for trail riding but really need knobbies for this.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

I like watching stuff like this.  You are not pulling any arrows.  Around here sweep on public land is not only looking for broke down or injured riders it is pulling the arrows.  And the wrong way ones that are not technically arrows.

GoThere@50

• Old, but still off-road able.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »

Thanks for posting that video stargazerinwg. The comparison to a state-of-the-art dedicated dirt bike like your KTM is also appreciated. In 50 years of riding I’ve owned sport bikes, motocross bikes, trials bikes, etc.. Now my interest lies exclusively with dual sport machines. Living in a rural environment, I have no interest in a motorcycle that does not have at least some off-road capability. I also have no desire to go back to maintaining a stable of 8 motorcycles. As someone who appreciates Zero’s off-road roots and has been monitoring the development of the DS / DSR and FX over the last three years this type of review is very meaningful. This on-line community has also offered valuable insights. When you look at the very narrow range of motorcycles being offered by the remaining EV MC manufactures still in the market, I think Zero deserves credit for staying in the dual sport market and continuing to develop those offerings. My “Wish List” for those models is actually quite modest, so hopefully I may be able to join you soon. Great video.
He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. -Harold Wilson

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »

For Fran K:  We didn't pull arrows until after our mountain bike race which was the next day.  Trail run on Saturday, mountain bike race on Sunday.

For GoThere@50:  I had been watching Zero for 5 years before I bought my 2017 FX.  It was new on the dealers floor with 60 miles and apparently there isn't much difference between it and the 2019 except it was much less expensive.  I forgot to mention above that I pulled the fuse on the abs for this ride also.  So I have done a little work on the bike and so far am impressed with fit, finish and quality.  So far, I think it is a good product.

I am 71 and have also been riding more than 50 years.  In recent years I have been riding less on the street - just getting too scary with everybody speeding and distracted.  In the next couple years, I will probably set the FX up for dirt only.  Maybe reduce the weight a little more by removing the abs system and anything else I can figure out that is not needed.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:10:20 PM »

Have you had any experience with dirt bikes with Rekluse auto clutches?

If so, how does the FX compare?

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:42:44 PM »

I have not owned a bike with a Rekluse clutch but have ridden a couple of friend's bikes with them.  You still have gears to shift, just don't have to clutch.  On uphills and other situations where you didn't downshift when you should have, it would be similar in that you can just keep rolling on the power.  I rode this trail with a custom mode of all the torque and all the regen.  With all the regen, there is a noticeable engine breaking effect.  I'm having difficulty recalling but I think the Rekluse really reduces engine breaking.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »

I saved this internet address pertaining to modifications of the FX.  Maybe you have found it prior.  Not sure how much is applicable to a 2017.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7071.0

I doubt national level enduro level guys are going to drop many if any points on that section.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »

Thanks Fran K - I had not found that thread before.  All good information.

Roger that about national enduro riders.  This part we use for the trail run and mtb course is quite mild.

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 04:21:00 AM »

Very cool! Which park is this? I'm from the KC area I havent found many that allow bikes to go offroad unless i'm really traveling into Missouri.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »

Who has put actual dirt suspension on the FX? Stock travel is not there compared to real dirt bike.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 05:53:57 PM »

It is St. Joe State Park which has an ORV area.  These events are staged in the park but outside the ORV area.

My KTM 350 has larger suspension components with more travel - by about 3 inches.  The FX suspension travel is comparable to KTM's Freeride or bikes like the Honda CRF250F.

ChxCH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »

My KTM 350 has larger suspension components with more travel - by about 3 inches.  The FX suspension travel is comparable to KTM's Freeride or bikes like the Honda CRF250F.

Hi !

I also own a FX7.2 and a KTM350 (Freeride), and I woudn't compare them as the Zero is a trail bike when the Freeride is a genuine offroad tool (even if plated). The FX would be more like the CRF250L, a dual-sport bike.

You can see videos of both on my YT channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVLvXE-WTbXh6D9TleNAAvQ
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:44:37 PM by ChxCH »

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »

What's the range on the Freeride versus the FX?

Which battery do you have in your FX?
Pages: [1] 2