• April 27, 2024, 08:24:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MBB set command  (Read 2168 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
MBB set command
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:03:25 AM »

I built an OBD II connector to access the MBB on my 2017 FX according to this https://zeromanual.com/wiki/How_to_build_a_cable_to_access_the_MBB and it appears to be communicating as expected.  The commands display the output as expected, e.g., status, inputs, dumpall produce the text expected.  I'm using putty on a linux laptop and set the CR/LF parameters so the output is displaying correctly.

I am trying to disable the kickstand switch and the abs.  When I enter set ov_kickstand yes and set abs_disable on, it says invalid parameter for both ov_kickstand and abs_disable.  I tried enclosing parameters and values in <> and also all upper case with no success.

Thanks if anyone knows what I am missing or doing wrong ...

Also tried the ISO 8859-1 character set translation rather than UTF-8 - no apparent difference.

I wonder if there is an admin/root password to use with the login command ...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:24:18 AM by stargazerinwg »

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: MBB set command
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:49:14 AM »

There is probably really minimal security for the MBB since so far the zero hacking scene is nonexistent. I'm interested in what you find out here, but in the meantime, pull the ABS fuse to disable. It's under the seat in a big holder by itself.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:17:29 AM »

Thanks flattetyre - that will be better than having to disable the abs each time the bike is turned on.  For the kickstand, until I figure out the MBB set command problem, a magnet attached to the sensor is doing the trick.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »

Those commands are not available unless logged in. I don't know what the passwords are though.

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:48:46 AM »

I am also working on disabling my kickstand sensor in this thread
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9052.msg79275#msg79275
and am currently blocked by needing the MBB login password.

I got the impression folks knew them but just preferred not to post them publicly. So far I haven't been able to find anyone who can help, and my bike is stuck.  I'll follow this thread and let you know if I have any luck
2013 S ZF14.4

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »

I talked to the dealer where I purchased the bike and he did not know the MBB could be accessed in this manner.  So I called Zero and the person that answered was also not familiar with it, put me on hold to talk to someone else, and then returned to tell that she could not and would not provide the password.  I (politely) asked if I could talk to someone else who might be more technical or knowledgeable in this area and she said there was no one else.  She said the dealer would have to do this for me (although I am not certain she understood what I want to do) and said I should contact them.  I explained that I had and that he did not know how to do it and was not aware of a way to access the MBB or change settings in this manner.  She said she was sorry and wanted to end the conversation so I said goodbye.  I am sure she was following procedure, but it seems to me the procedure should accommodate all levels of users.

I called the dealer again and told him what happened.  He is reviewing the pertinent links I sent about building the connector, accessing the MBB and using the set command to change settings.  He is going to call Zero and see if they will tell him and then maybe he will share with me.  I am not really hopeful about this.

I wonder if anyone knows someone at zero in the engineering or technical area.  Right now, I don't see how I (we) will get this information going through the front door.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:39:52 AM »

I don't think Zero is going to tell you the password to access low level MBB settings and disable safety systems.

If you don't want ABS, why not just remove the ABS fuse? That'll disable the ABS system permanently and doesn't require a password

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 02:56:22 AM »

Zero customer service lady called back to tell me the dealer won't be able to use the set command.

Maybe Zero contracts production of the MBBs and they don't know what the password is or the login command may just be a ruse.  Oh well.

Yes, I can pull the ABS fuse and attach a magnet to the kickstand sensor - just wanted to do it this way since it seemed possible and less kludgey.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 06:07:56 AM »

I don't think Zero is going to tell you the password to access low level MBB settings and disable safety systems.
This has nothing to do with it. They don't want you in their MBB. Anyway I can all but guarantee it's super easy to hack. Think about it: at the very LEAST you could put a buspirate on the line and sniff the password when the dealer logs in. Duh?

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »

This has nothing to do with it. They don't want you in their MBB. Anyway I can all but guarantee it's super easy to hack. Think about it: at the very LEAST you could put a buspirate on the line and sniff the password when the dealer logs in. Duh?

+1

Sniffing it out should be pretty trivial even without special hardware: run the Zero software in a VM, and record the traffic through the serial interface on the Linux host.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »

Well, customer service called back to tell me the dealer couldn't do this, i.e., they apparently don't routinely have the password.  My dealer did not and didn't know there was one.  But he didn't know about the MBB console, either.  So maybe only when an MBB needs to be replaced would zero assist or whatever.

I'm fairly handy with computers and been using Linux for years.  When I connect to the MBB with putty, it writes all the traffic to a file.  AFAIK all the traffic is plain text.  I don't see any special or unreadable characters in the log files.  Not sure what you mean by zero software.  From what I have found out, the MBB console is firmware.  When I connect, I am "logged in" at level 0, without having used the login command.  This is shown when you use the login command with no parameters.  I tried a few passwords with the login command with no success.  So it appears to me the password is never in the stream until you enter it.  So, it seems like it is a guessing game.

Would there be one password for all MBBs or is it specific to each MBB?  I tried the serial and vin numbers as passwords with no success.  It would be great to have it but I don't know where to go from here other than keep guessing ...

I am definitely open to suggestions.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »

Not sure what you mean by zero software.

I assumed Zero has some kind of proprietary software that interfaces with MBB provided to authorized dealers. Even though the underlying protocol is all text, it is unlikely they'd be using it by hand - instead some GUI-driven application writes those commands as the user clicks the buttons. I also was thinking that the password may be embedded in the software and never actually provided to the dealer, that's where sniffing it out could work. Those are just assumptions though.

Israel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 04:33:15 AM »

There are more than a few people who can send a hack file, reprogram or disable.  I understand the Israel dealership has decided to distribute all user passwords and all firmware updates since 2013.  It's apparently on line now behind a paywall. I'm told there's also a detailed overview of numerous defects they reported that have not been addressed, there with the hope that those who have experienced unknown and unexplained events, especially those resulting in injury, will better understand what likely occurred and be enabled to take action, legal or otherwise. There will likely be a press release when the site launches.

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 12:55:51 AM »

I have connected to the MBB successfully. The MBB time is way off, thinks it is 2022. How do I correct this? Also, I had a problem with the zero app trying to download the logs. It would only work for the "Motorcycle Logs Only" option. The "Motorcycle and Battery Logs" option never finishes. I suspect that the issue is that the battery log is too big. I have about 36k miles on the bike and the firmware is probably about 30k miles old. I'm guessing the logs get cleared when there is a firmware update but don't know. I have saved the logs with the computer using a terminal session file save. Should I clear the logs on the MBB? How would I do that? Thanks!!
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »

Relevant unofficial manual reference for this command:
 https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen2/MBB_Console#Settings

Click the "Expand" link to see the full settings. By default, I set up the wiki to show only the no-security output by default.

Zero indeed does not want anyone to know the MBB passwords, and the dealer tools supply the password invisibly, so technicians never see it, only selecting what modifications to make.

I don't appreciate Zero's attitudes and coercion over service departments and owners. I think it actually harms them, and they only react to the downsides/risks of access by shutting off access rather than trying to design a better system and relationship.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1] 2