• April 25, 2024, 06:12:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F cheaper than DS to insure!  (Read 823 times)

potboiler

• View Profile
SR/F cheaper than DS to insure!
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »

Just did a price comparison - 2019 DS 14.4 costs £240 fully comp but the SR/F is only £184!
I can only assume it’s because the SR/F has got traction control and is deemed less likely to crash. Good that insurance companies are now more happy to cover at similar prices to ICE bikes.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: SR/F cheaper than DS to insure!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »

Just did a price comparison - 2019 DS 14.4 costs £240 fully comp but the SR/F is only £184!
I can only assume it’s because the SR/F has got traction control and is deemed less likely to crash. Good that insurance companies are now more happy to cover at similar prices to ICE bikes.

Give the insurance companies another year to update their premium prices.  The insurance premium for my S increases every year and is now more than the premium for my R1200RS.  They tend to get you hooked the first year and then hit you with a nice big increase the next year.  ::)  I doubt the insurance underwriters know enough details about the SR/F to appreciate that it has traction control. They are just throwing a number out there to drag in customers and will see what happens in the way of claims for the next year before getting serious with premium prices.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:01 PM »

Who did you insure with? It seems there are fewer companies in the UK insuring electric bikes these days. I might even look at rider policy when mine is up for renewal.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »

I can tell you in the US it pays to shop around.  I just got the insurance quotes for the SR/F and they vary from $366.00 (from the insurer I have all my policies with) to $2,635.00.  These are all 1 year policies with major companies including collision and comprehensive and a higher liability.  I think they really do not know anything about electrics and it is all over the boards for rates.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 03:30:43 AM »

I can tell you in the US it pays to shop around.  I just got the insurance quotes for the SR/F and they vary from $366.00 (from the insurer I have all my policies with) to $2,635.00.  These are all 1 year policies with major companies including collision and comprehensive and a higher liability.  I think they really do not know anything about electrics and it is all over the boards for rates.

I agree. Most underwriters don't seem to have a clue about electric motorcycles.  But I fear they are worried after reading news stories regarding lithium battery fires.  I have been insuring electric motorcycles through Progressive for the past 10 years, so by now they should have some idea what the risk is for at least Zeros.  But I will tell you one thing.  Every time an insurance company sees an "R" in a motorcycle model title (EV or ICE) they get nervous and start jacking up their rates.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:58:40 AM »

I had a real problem getting insurance for my SR/F. My usual insurance company was "working on it," but when it came time to pick it up they declined. I called around and visited agents in a last minute rush. Ended up paying 1000USD for 6 months at State Farm. That's only a little more than I pay for four other motorcycles for a full year at Progressive. I need to find a better rate. Hopefully that will be easier to sort out after a few months.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 06:00:59 AM »

I had a real problem getting insurance for my SR/F. My usual insurance company was "working on it," but when it came time to pick it up they declined. I called around and visited agents in a last minute rush. Ended up paying 1000USD for 6 months at State Farm. That's only a little more than I pay for four other motorcycles for a full year at Progressive. I need to find a better rate. Hopefully that will be easier to sort out after a few months.

Did you try geico? Full coverage on my 2017 dsr was $298 for a year. Just dropped coverage to liability since I paid it off and now only $98/year. And I'm in Clark county nv which is super high.

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 06:06:39 AM »

Holy hell. State Farm set me up with $400 for a year for my SR/F.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:12:10 AM »

Wow. Sounds like I didn't get the deal of the century. Was over a barrel though. Won't ride a 20k bike w/o coverage and I need high limit liability because stuff.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:26:05 AM »

From what I've read and researched -- not just for Zeros -- insurance quotes vary wildly. What annoys me (sometimes amuses me) is talk on this an other boards of quotes, without specifying  coveragse or deductibles.
OK, I pay $600 / year with State Farm. Deductibles: $250. Liability: 100K/300K/50K. UI: 100K/300K. Comp and Collision. That's probably more than I need, but it buys peace of mind. And State Farm's been good to me. Settlement for totalled 2016 SR was $13,000, enough to pay for a slightly used 2018 SR. BTW, it's insured as "500cc" (their decision, not mine).
Disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with State Farm.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »

Wow. Sounds like I didn't get the deal of the century. Was over a barrel though. Won't ride a 20k bike w/o coverage and I need high limit liability because stuff.
Bill, did you try progressive.  They were able to work me to a quote of $560/year.  They listed it as a SR because they said the /F wasn’t in their system yet but said it was fine because it was based off VIN.  Allstate did me best at $360/year and listed it as SR/f and 1cc. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:15:53 PM by GaryArt1 »
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »

Well mine is much cheaper than everybody but my coverage is low.

Really I don't know why the bike really matters it's the value of the coverage that matters.  It's 20k new so it you ride it around and wreck we'll give you 17k because now it's used.  Seems easy enough.  (yes I know it's not that way)

And as I always like to post, like Richard said the R makes the price go up. To me if the bike can't go 150MPH it shouldn't have a "R" title.
Call it an S2 or "high amp" but leave the R for later.

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 04:58:19 AM »

I spoke too soon. After State Farm processed the policy, they want $801.90/yr.  I may just increase the $100 comp and $250 collision deductibles to get the price down.
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »

Probably the insurance company figures you're less likely to take the SR/F off road and destroy it against a boulder or a tree...  ;D
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 06:35:53 AM »

High limit liability barely increases your rates even if you have a S1000RR. Tell me you also got the CSL?
Pages: [1]