• March 29, 2024, 01:00:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Belt tension on SR/F much higher that on previous Zeros?  (Read 818 times)

NetPro

• View Profile
Belt tension on SR/F much higher that on previous Zeros?
« on: June 18, 2019, 05:54:22 PM »

Hi folks, new to the EV world and this forum :-)

Getting my SR/F delivered today. Had to go several states over to get a dealer demo and found one with 50 miles on it in the North East.
Hoping I don't get a unit with bugs requiring more than a firmware upgrade to resolve but really gambling here.

Anyways, downloaded the manual and read the whole thing. Reading the belt tension Zero recommends, was surprised to see 51 to 102 kg, --page 6.27-- as several sources, including a YouTube for another model, list 25 kg (20 to 30 range).
Do the SR/Fs have a drastically different belt I wonder?

I just find hard to believe the increase in tension (unless the previous recommendation was too loose) and wanted to get the community's feel for this.
A bit concerned about setting it too high, as I know it increases the stress on the bearings on both ends of the belt and some people report noises when set too high.
2020 Zero SR/F

alko

• View Profile
Re: Belt tension on SR/F much higher that on previous Zeros?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »

Hi folks, new to the EV world and this forum :-)

Getting my SR/F delivered today. Had to go several states over to get a dealer demo and found one with 50 miles on it in the North East.
Hoping I don't get a unit with bugs requiring more than a firmware upgrade to resolve but really gambling here.

Anyways, downloaded the manual and read the whole thing. Reading the belt tension Zero recommends, was surprised to see 51 to 102 kg, --page 6.27-- as several sources, including a YouTube for another model, list 25 kg (20 to 30 range).
Do the SR/Fs have a drastically different belt I wonder?

I just find hard to believe the increase in tension (unless the previous recommendation was too loose) and wanted to get the community's feel for this.
A bit concerned about setting it too high, as I know it increases the stress on the bearings on both ends of the belt and some people report noises when set too high.

According to my 2017 dsr manual, belt tension on the Zero S zf13.0 is 20-30kg. All other models including my dsr is 25-76kg. I have my belt tension closer to 25kg as it seems to be quieter that way. Not sure why the srf would be different.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »

I do know that the belt on the SR/F is supposedly wider and heavier than the other models.  maybe that has something to do with it.

Congrats on the new bike.  Once again I am a little surprised to hear you are getting a dealer demo.  From all I read, the dealers are not supposed to be selling the demo bikes.  They get a deal on them with the idea they will keep them for a certain time for test rides.  But then again who knows what deals our made between Zero and its dealers with a bike as hot as this.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:52:55 PM »

It does seem that the wider the belts become with each new model, the tighter is the recommended belt tension.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »

It does seem that the wider the belts become with each new model, the tighter is the recommended belt tension.  ???

That makes sense, and I assume the 2017 s model had a skinnier belt than the dsr because the s came with smaller motor and controller.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 03:39:46 AM »

What I worry about is the stress that a very tight belt puts on the motor and rear wheel bearings.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »

I do know that the belt on the SR/F is supposedly wider and heavier than the other models.  maybe that has something to do with it.

Congrats on the new bike.  Once again I am a little surprised to hear you are getting a dealer demo.  From all I read, the dealers are not supposed to be selling the demo bikes.  They get a deal on them with the idea they will keep them for a certain time for test rides.  But then again who knows what deals our made between Zero and its dealers with a bike as hot as this.

Well, they are doing it regardless: My local dealer told me they sold their demo because the buyer could not wait and offered them a premium on their demo with 150 miles on it.
One of those "got-to-have-it" things where money is not an object, I guess.

That of course, caused me to have to look elsewhere for a test ride and was surprised to find a dealer that sold me their demo for no premium and no arm twisting.

I think some dealers are wondering: what good does it do to have a demo when the product won't ship for months and the delays are getting people mad as the fulfillment date slips further away?
It is an incredible machine for sure: so much "easy" and quiet power and so smooth (though, it is not completely silent as the whine from the belt/motor and electronics combined is audible at quite a distance) still no comparison to my old Yamaha Virago 1100 with factory mufflers.
2020 Zero SR/F
Pages: [1]