• April 25, 2024, 08:21:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Considering getting a Quick Charger from Zero  (Read 3261 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Considering getting a Quick Charger from Zero
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »

I'm considering getting a Quik charger from Zero just to have a spare off board charger in the garage in case one of the on board chargers fail. 

I assume I could use it even if the on board chargers fail?  Can I use it on the FX and DSR?  Can it be used in conjunction with the onboard charger on both bikes?

I've never seen one in use and not completely sure how it works.  Anyone have any experience with them?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Considering getting a Quick Charger from Zero
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:26:39 AM »

I have one.  I use it if I want to get back on the road a little more quickly than usual as it nearly doubles the amount of charging current.  I don't use it often, but I have used it on occasion.  It CAN be used without the onboard charger, but I've never used it that way.  It plugs into a port down by the left side swing-arm pivot.  The factory has a cable tie holding the cover in place; if you want to use it you'll have to cut the tie to remove the rubber cover.

I don't know if it works with the FX bikes or not.  There are two models; one for the 2015 and earlier bikes, and one for the subsequent years.  I don't believe it'll work with the SR/F.  From what I understand, it isn't necessary as that bike already has a fast charge option.  I could be mistaken (wouldn't be the first time).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:00 AM »

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes, but not me.

Zero's Official Owners Manual has always documented how to use its own Quick Chargers, pretty well. Look it up - it's fine.

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Chargers#Combining_Chargers
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »

I have one and it works fine and is a backup that can charge the bike by itself if needed.

I saw this video and thought of you.  He is using a Hollywood Electric Elcon and not the Zero quick charger but it plugs into the same andersen connector.  This guy's setup puts his full charge time to about 1.5 hours.  Go to the 5:00 mark and you'll see where the zero quick charger would plug into your bike.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »

I assume I could use it even if the on board chargers fail?  Can I use it on the FX and DSR?  Can it be used in conjunction with the onboard charger on both bikes?

I've never seen one in use and not completely sure how it works.  Anyone have any experience with them?
Yes, I own seven (yeah, 7)  of them. I carried two with me today (one in each saddlebag) to speed up the charging between Auburn, CA and Reno, NV. My SR with power tank can make the trip on a single charge if I ride slow, but I still get range anxiety. If you do this, more cables will be needed. Not needed to use the QC at home.

Yes, always use all the chargers you have up to the limit of 1C (same as battery capacity KWH).  But you did not mention the year of your bikes. See here.

At first, You will get a red fast flashing alarm light on the dash if you only run the QC and then it will not charge.  Don't panic!!!   But if you turn the bike's key on and then off (so the contactor will close) then you can charge with ONLY the Q-charger and the alarm will clear and charge normally.

If you're also using a working on-board charger, you do NOt have to mess with the key.

On the Q-Charger, look for the top light on it to light up to know you are fully charging. That will take a few seconds, perhaps 5 seconds or so after every thing is ready to work.

Bottom line is yes, it will work, with or without the on-board. Just remember to turn the bike on and off after the QC is  first connected if you're not using the  on-board.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »

I have an Elcon 2500, the Zero Quiq and of course the onboard.
I use them all when on the road 5KW if all used with the Y cable, 4KW with onboard and Elcon.
My SR had 4 chargers replaced under warranty. Out of warranty now so only use the onboard if
using 240 volts. Use only the QuiQ to charge now when at home.
Only QuiQ will take 20%~25% longer to charge than the onboard, but, absolutely no worries about
having to replace the onboard again on my dime. I have been using the QuiQ for about 5 years with no
problems.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »

Good info, thanks.  I guess I need to check out the Elcon as well.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »

Use only the QuiQ to charge now when at home. Only QuiQ will take 20%~25% longer to charge than the onboard, but, absolutely no worries about
having to replace the onboard again on my dime. I have been using the QuiQ for about 5 years with no
problems.
I always use two Q-chargers with the onboard--even when there is no hurry. That means the on-board is ran about 1/3 of the time, which reduces the amount of time it's used which means less heat inside the on-board for as long. So far, no problems with either of my on-board chargers.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »

Good info, thanks.  I guess I need to check out the Elcon as well.

I don't see the Elcon charger being sold anywhere any more...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 02:22:24 AM »

I don't see the Elcon charger being sold anywhere any more...

Yeah, I just called Hollywood Electrics inquiring about the Elcon someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they sold and the guy basically gave me the, "what, are you stupid?" spiel. 

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 03:30:10 AM »

Yeah, I just called Hollywood Electrics inquiring about the Elcon someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they sold and the guy basically gave me the, "what, are you stupid?" spiel.
So despite the attitude, was he inferring there was something obviously better?
Zero FXS 2020

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 05:56:00 AM »

I have never fully understood why the Hollywood Electrics no longer offers the Elcon 2500 as stationary equipment. It's heavy and bulky, so no longer competitive for carrying onboard, but the market for Zero-suitable chargers is so anemic, it's embarrassing.

There must be some commodity charger that weighs half as much, is IP-rated, has robust electrical protections, and produces a stable 3kW that can be programmed to work in Zero's voltage range with an enable line. Like the HK-J 3.3: https://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/9034090/10295140.htm

And particularly, that someone can make and sell these at a reasonable profit, whether as a hobby or as a side business. Not as a startup or a high-performance prestige effort, but just as a utility.

Zero does have those Rapid Charge Modules on the SR/F, and I think those will cost around $1000 per unit to replace, so one could package one of those with a control board in a simple chassis for probably $1500.

Good EV chargers are not cheap, BTW. You're paying for QA'd engineered protection for the most expensive part of the motorcycle: the battery.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »

There must be some commodity charger that weighs half as much, is IP-rated, has robust electrical protections, and produces a stable 3kW that can be programmed to work in Zero's voltage range with an enable line.
Any comments on this charger?   Do you know anybody who has tried it?

BTW, could it be the same one that is used in the older charge tanks?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 08:14:21 AM »

So despite the attitude, was he inferring there was something obviously better?
No. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »

There must be some commodity charger that weighs half as much, is IP-rated, has robust electrical protections, and produces a stable 3kW that can be programmed to work in Zero's voltage range with an enable line.
Any comments on this charger?   Do you know anybody who has tried it?

BTW, could it be the same one that is used in the older charge tanks?

It is the same basic design as observed on the earlier 2.5 kW charge tanks. It may be the same product but is possibly a variant in some way. Whatever an OEM like Zero orders probably has additional QA and customizations.

I believe this generic model been tested by a few people with a Zero. Make sure it’s programmed for the Zero voltage range, and also it won’t trigger charge enable circuitry on its own.
Pages: [1] 2