• March 28, 2024, 06:39:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Belt  (Read 1766 times)

talon

• View Profile
New Belt
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »

Just received a new thin belt for my 2016 SR. Just thought I would share that the belt was completely dressed (on *all* sides) in what feels like a silicon or "teflon" type lubricant, straight from Zero HQ. Also, Zero HQ doesn't seem to trust coiling the belts--they sent me it in a 3-1/2ft long box with plenty of bubble wrap, no sharp bends. So I guess from now on I will be dressing my belt, assuming it doesn't attract too much dirt and debris. That's as good as an official rec to me. My 3 year old spare official belt is badly faded but otherwise completely intact for an emergency. I will be tracking down a supplier for the emergency custom flexible belts again and possibly doing another order like Omar (U4WE) did awhile back.

My belt snapped at a certain point along half of its width after assumingly ingesting a pebble (and while completely unbeknownst to me). It then lost a few teeth when I was discovering why "that clicking sound was proportional to my throttle". It did not break however and was able to get me 10 miles home without melting or damaging anything.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: New Belt
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »

My guess is that the "dressing" is a method to preserve the belt from environmental degradation while it is being stored.  I doubt it is any sort of lubrication, if that is what you are thinking.  But what kind of coating is on that replacement belt when it left the Gates factory would be important information to know.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »

It would be helpful to know what this grease or other material is. I’m inclined to believe that it is for storage preservation, not for operating environments.

We’ve seen belts fail for applying lubricant. It’s a very light application that helps if at all.

I store my spare belt in a big loop, FYI, whether in the bottom of a wide box at home, or around the circumference of my top trunk on a ride.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 02:58:39 AM »

Stick to what you know talon. It's a big leap to assume some crap on an unused belt is an "official rec" to slather her on.

If you want to lube your driveline get a chain. It'll be more reliable anyway.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:03:17 AM »

I also have a spare belt for my 2018 S.  I have stored it as an open loop and sealed it in an air-tight plastic bag. I gotta tell you, that $120 replacement belt is sure a lot cheaper than the one being sold by BMW for their F800GT.  That sucker costs around $500!   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »

My understanding is than belt dressing makes no point fir the belt itself (i did it and it was a mistake) BUT applying it on the engine sprocket might reduce the so called groan noise - worked for me. See unofficial zero manual.
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »

FYI, the Gates carbon fiber reinforced belt is very susceptible to damage if not handled properly.  See these handling instructions in the link below.  Although the manual is for a bicycle drive belt, the same principals apply to the belts on our bikes.  The new consensus is to not apply any kind of dressing or lubrication to the belt.  Keep it adjusted to the lowest end of the tension range and positioned so there is a 1mm gap between the belt and the outside flange on the rear pulley, and you should be fine.

https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/~/media/files/gcd/owners-manuals/english-owners-manual-gates-carbon-drive.pdf?la=en
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:46:31 PM »

You could coil it into thirds, that's how I carried my 2016 DSR spare OE belt in a zippered pouch (https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Repair-String-Passenger-Light/dp/B014RVNARM).

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 04:34:03 AM »

I'm aware of how careful one needs to be when handling and installing these. Thanks all. I have no groan noise for whatever reason and I ride regularly in the rain (DC is the new Washington state).

Hmm.. your dealer may be upcharging the replacement belts (not by much) or my dealer may be charging at cost (also likely, knowing the guy). In either case if they had them in stock it would be worth it to me to pay that extra amount as a "stocking fee"--mine were ordered.

The reason I'm inferring that dressing is a good idea is that my oldest good spare from 2016 with 8k Cali miles on it is faded, extremely dry, and starting to crack on its backing rubber and teeth. The new belt looks ridiculously darker (these belts are supposed to be black?!). My February 2018 purchased thin belt is the partially snapped one and it looks closer to the spare already than the new. I realize that this doesn't mean it was a contributor of failure, and the dressing in question IS likely for warehouse storage.. but I imagine these cracks can't be good for longevity. I'd love to decode the item number and get a date of manufacture from it.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 04:46:40 AM »

So, does Gates issue any recommendations about their belts receiving prolonged UV exposure or the like?

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »

Did way too much belt research. According to major competitors Continental and Goodyear, which offer drop in replacements that meet or exceed that of Gates requirements for Poly Chain HTD Carbon GT2 belts, never apply belt dressing to synchronous belts, they are supposed to be *mostly* UV, oil, and ozone "resistant". If my belt breaks again and it comes as a surprise I might try a Continental Falcon Pd belt of the appropriate spec. Some even offer negative bending support at the same working loads. Lots of information for engineers here that are bored and wishing to evaluate the belt drive systems and learn how to integrate it in accordance with the belt manufacturer's data.

https://www.applied.com/webmedia/product_assets/hed/h9d/9896338784286.pdf
page that says "Falcon Pd" is a drop in replacement

https://www.sos-safety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/hawkpd.pdf
page that shows ALL the drop-in replacements for HTD pulley profiles

https://www.rainbowprecisionproducts.com/documents/ContiTech_Install_Data_Sheet.pdf
practical information and troubleshooting

https://www.contitech.de/getmedia/b2205aa1-0c1e-4f4f-8fa7-b565e64f4675/PTG8035-DeEn-CONTI-SYNCHROCHAIN.pdf
design data and examples

It should go without saying but of course none of these parts may be homologated. Don't do this (what I may do by trying a different belt), just buy the stock belt from a dealer.. yatta yatta. A different profile may walk off the pulley and tangle stopping your wheel at speed. Any time you don't fully understand the situation there is risk.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 04:58:50 PM by talon »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

Thanks for the information and taking the time to sort through it! I’ll do my part to integrate it into our shared knowledge.

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:39:27 PM »

This is interesting. What would be the reference for a Zero Xu (same as Zero S/DS until 2016 included) belt ( 220T, 8MM PITCH, 14MM WIDE - ZM30-08084 (ex 30-03673)

It costs 140 $ including shipping, and for bikes out of warranty a working part is all I need...

Did way too much belt research. According to major competitors Continental and Goodyear, which offer drop in replacements that meet or exceed that of Gates requirements for Poly Chain HTD Carbon GT2 belts, never apply belt dressing to synchronous belts, they are supposed to be *mostly* UV, oil, and ozone "resistant". If my belt breaks again and it comes as a surprise I might try a Continental Falcon Pd belt of the appropriate spec. Some even offer negative bending support at the same working loads. Lots of information for engineers here that are bored and wishing to evaluate the belt drive systems and learn how to integrate it in accordance with the belt manufacturer's data.

https://www.applied.com/webmedia/product_assets/hed/h9d/9896338784286.pdf
page that says "Falcon Pd" is a drop in replacement

https://www.sos-safety.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/hawkpd.pdf
page that shows ALL the drop-in replacements for HTD pulley profiles

https://www.rainbowprecisionproducts.com/documents/ContiTech_Install_Data_Sheet.pdf
practical information and troubleshooting

https://www.contitech.de/getmedia/b2205aa1-0c1e-4f4f-8fa7-b565e64f4675/PTG8035-DeEn-CONTI-SYNCHROCHAIN.pdf
design data and examples

It should go without saying but of course none of these parts may be homologated. Don't do this (what I may do by trying a different belt), just buy the stock belt from a dealer.. yatta yatta. A different profile may walk off the pulley and tangle stopping your wheel at speed. Any time you don't fully understand the situation there is risk.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »

Moto,

I would call around, that sounds a bit high to me, or you are ordering old stock specifically for that model year bike or have to pay shipping costs.

If you say it uses P/N ZM30-03673 or ZM30-08084 those are usually said to be $70-110USD unless you live somewhere outside the continental United States. Assuming those are the correct length for your pulley set up. Maybe I got it dropshipped to my house because my bike is still under warranty, I don't know.

Brian,

As always, thank you. Let me know if you need help (anywhere).

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 02:54:40 AM »

I am in Europe, and I own two zeros - a Zero XU 2012 and a FXS 2017. I wanted to stock a belt for the XU, but only if it is cheap (20 $), so probable adaptable part. The help I would need is a "compatible" reference in a more available brand - i dont know anything to belts.
Pages: [1] 2