• April 27, 2024, 09:24:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: SR/F complaints  (Read 5795 times)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
SR/F complaints
« on: June 02, 2019, 02:57:52 AM »

So I hear a lot of complaints about the SR/F.  It is delayed, no/wrong information from dealers, no charging cables, lower range, no L3 charging.  I will be the first one to admit, some of these complaints actually came from me.  This weekend I was thinking about it (rather than riding it like expected) and I came upon a thought.  These complaints have one significant difference than most of the other complaints you hear about zeros.  See the other complaints are from people who paid hard earned money for their bikes and now there is something wrong that is frustrating them.  The key difference is that we haven't even bought our bikes yet.  WE can always just go get our money back and move on.  So I thought of this mathematical formula we can use.

When the negatives of the SR/F > our desire to own it = you walk away and buy another bike. 

This is the best message one can send to a company.  You talk with your hard earned money rather than complaining to a group of people who own Zeros on this forum and others.  Once I thought of this I quickly realized that my desire for the SR/F is still greater than my frustration with waiting.  I decided I mine as well just be patient and not frustrate myself.   Saved me a lot of money on counselling.   Now one day, if the shipping delay keeps up,  the other side of the equation may become greater and I will move on to another bike.  Until then I will wait patiently for the day I actually own the SR/F and then I can complain about all the things wrong with my $20K bike.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

MrBlc

• View Profile
Re: SR/F complaints
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »

I was ready to pre-order before the press release back in February..
Then I decided i wanted to see what Lightning had to bring.
Then I decided i wanted to get my car sold before doing anything. (that is moving really slowly)
Then delays arrived all around me, so i changed again..
This time i decided i wanted to demo it before doing anything.. Hoping i would have had my car sold before that happened.
Still not able to demo it (not available as demo in .no)
Due to the last few weeks changes in form of delays and other issues arising, i'm even less sure as to how to progress..

Looks like i will be waiting throughout the summer this year before deciding..

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

I think hesitation is a good thing. It means that the brain works properly. I would certainly demo it before purchase. Good luck!
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »

So if they only make X amount of bikes and they sell them all, then I don’t think ‘walking away with your hard earned money’ is a tactic that will matter. Someone else will buy the bike. They will still sell out. Zero would have to be left with inventory for them to feel any pain.
Zero FXS 2020

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 08:05:04 PM »

GaryArt1, Paul Scott on FB said he got his bike and loves it.  So that's a good sign and maybe you won't have wait much longer.

Valnar I also find it strange/interesting that they aren't making any more FXS 2019 models.  It could be true that building SRFs are taking all their staff and I'm sure it has a higher profit margin.  It may also be that there is a new different model to replace the FX(S) bikes that they will start to build and test soon.
If you truly have your heart set on an FXS and know it's the best bike for you then check around and find the best/closest deal on one and have it shipped.  I would also still recommend  looking at the used and demo market for very nice savings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:43:03 PM by NEW2elec »

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 05:44:06 AM »

I feel Gary's frustration. Zero have made a hash of marketing the SRF. They teased it back in February, which was fine, but they just aren't getting them into customers' hands quickly enough.  We all know the dirty tricks that marketing departments like to play... Tease the product, keep people hanging, etc, etc...  We're bored with that shit.  Better marketing would be just to launch the bikes and tell everyone that they can demo the bike tomorrow and buy one at the same time, if they wish.  Delivered the next day!  Why is that so difficult? It stops pissing people off. 

I gave an SRF a good spanking today and I'll tell you this: I rode it for about 20 minutes and the SoC dropped by 50%.  It couldn't manage its claimed top speed because the motor overheated.  105 was the best I could get out of it.

Those are the negatives, which pail into insignificance compared to the positives.  I put my deposit down last Friday before a test ride, but I was having second thoughts by this Thursday after a couple of test rides.  Not so after getting an opportunity to give it the beans today though! The bike is genuinely fast.  Probably not as fast as my CB1000R, but still very fast.  What's most important, to me, is that it is fast without making a big deal about it.  I'm fed up of screaming engines trying too hard.  The one thing Zero's marketing department got right was the slogan 'Effortless Power.'  That, remarkably for a marketing department, isn't bullshit.

I love that effortless power.  The SRF has more than enough of it for the road.  Don't think it's quick enough? Go and get some advanced motorcycle training from people who know how to ride a bike fast.  You'll probably smoke most sportsbike riders with the SRF if you know what you're doing.

Don't take my word for it though, just go and get your leg over one and you'll see what I'm talking about.  It's a lot of fun. It's smooth, refined and quiet.  The ride quality is better than my CB1000R on our bumpy British roads (the likes of Spain and Greece got lots of EU subsidies and loans to do their roads up which the UK helped payfor).

My Honda handles better, but only in a way that's important on a racetrack.  My Honda produces more power, which I can't safely use on the road.  My Honda will go further on a tank of fuel which can be refilled in five minutes.  Can't argue with that... The cost of petrol is insignificant compared to the cost of depreciation on a bike.  But all that gets wiped away by the pure joy of riding an EV.

Gary, be patient. All good things come to those who wait. I only have to wait another two weeks for mine and I'm in the UK.  You'll get yours soon enough mate. [emoji4]

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »

My guess is that the early introduction and distribution of the SR/F has a lot to do with undercutting LiveWire and Lightning sales.  I bet if those two companies hadn't made a big deal out of their new models being sold this summer, the SR/F would have been marketed later in the year, after Zero had more of its SR/F ducks lined up.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »

Their marketing did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do.  They built excitement and expectation.  The fact that people aren't getting their bikes "soon enough" means that demand exceeded expectation, and when you're the owner of a company that is EXACTLY what you want.  It means you're selling your inventory faster than you can produce it which (from a company stand point) is FAR FAR better than building bikes that sit in a warehouse.

As for me, I've learned my lesson... I NEVER buy a first-year production model.  I've been burned enough in the past.  Even a good warranty doesn't cover the lost time while the issue is being corrected.

Besides, I may WANT an SR/F, but that is not exactly the same thing as NEEDING an SR/F.  I would've loved to have purchased an SR instead of my S, but that rational part of my brain said "Why??  Why pay $3,000 more, and have nearly TWICE the insurance payments for no increase in range?"  What difference is a 100+ mph top speed when the average highway speed around me is 70?  Too many people get wrapped up in "Spec Sheet comparisons" without even thinking what 80 lbs/feet of torque is like in a 400 lbs bike. 

Sure, my S will get beaten in a drag race by an SR, or an SRF, or any of the Energica bikes.  SO WHAT??  I am quite comfortable with the size of my penis to not require any compensation.  The "S" does everything I need it to do, and that is just fine with me.  YMMV, of course.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »

I am quite comfortable with the size of my penis to not require any compensation. 
I knew it!  The R model owners are compensating!

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »

My guess is that the early introduction and distribution of the SR/F has a lot to do with undercutting LiveWire and Lightning sales.  I bet if those two companies hadn't made a big deal out of their new models being sold this summer, the SR/F would have been marketed later in the year, after Zero had more of its SR/F ducks lined up.   ;)
I suspect this to be the case as well. 

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »

Sure, my S will get beaten in a drag race by an SR, or an SRF, or any of the Energica bikes.  SO WHAT??  I am quite comfortable with the size of my penis to not require any compensation.  The "S" does everything I need it to do, and that is just fine with me.  YMMV, of course.

I love my SR but wish for more of the same just because it's fun. It's not something I need, or can't live without, but then again, neither are motorcycles themselves.

And I wonder if you're protesting too much. Sometimes a motorcycle is just a motorcycle.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »

I pre ordered in early March.  Long story short is that it just ended up coming down to dealer proximity.
But I was still waiting to see what Lightning announced thinking if it was just absolutely insane i could always just walk away from my deposit on the SR/F.
But the lightning announcement came and went.  No release event, no pictures of a bike in the real world.  No videos - nothing.  So I kept my SR/F pre order.
And while I'm insanely anxious to get mine, especially after riding the demo...  I can't say anything bad about how they've handled the release and deliveries.
I custom ordered a truck that wasn't even a new style, and it took 4 months to get it.  No communication from the manufacturer.  And the dealer didn't even remember they'd sold me a truck.  Guy i bought it from quit, they called me 2 months into my order and tried to sell me another truck.  After we got that all worked out I didn't hear anything else until the truck showed up and then wanted me to come get it. 
The little care package Zero sent was such a nice touch.  And my Zero dealer has been awesome during the process.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 06:00:51 AM »

I'm frustrated with Zero's communication but I'm definitely waiting for the bike I preordered. I did get the test ride. It was breathtaking. Worth the wait.

I just wish they wouldn't leave us hanging.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 09:50:17 AM »

I'm frustrated with Zero's communication but I'm definitely waiting for the bike I preordered. I did get the test ride. It was breathtaking. Worth the wait.

IMO, it's better to wait until they get the bugs out anyway.

I have yet to hear of ANY new model of any motorcycle that has major changes  to not have a few serious bugs to work out.

The SR/F that I tried to ride here in Reno is a good example of some major bugs.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »

I'm curious, what could they do to make things right at this point?  A website posting?  Email update?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7