• April 25, 2024, 12:27:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging Cables for the SRF - Not included?!?  (Read 1022 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Charging Cables for the SRF - Not included?!?
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:59:50 AM »

I've been meaning to post this for a while...

The current situation is that if you buy an SRF you don't get any charging cables with it.  At all...  In order to charge from a domestic socket, we are expected to pay an extra £400 or so for the cable that Zero offers.  It's a good cable, but I'm damned if I'm going to pay extra for it!

If we want to charge from a 7kW post we need to buy yet another cable that costs around £100.  This is an absolutely ridiculous state of affairs.  We're expected to pay £16,500 or £18,500 for a standard or premium version here in the UK. That is a very serious amount of coin.  That's after the £1,500 subsidy too!  To then not supply the cables required to charge the bike is taking the piss, big style!

I leased a Kia Soul EV and both those cables came with the car.  It was a £25,000 car after subsidy. 

What also concerns me is that people will try and find cheaper alternatives to Zero's wall socket to Type 2 adaptor, or EVSE as they are often referred to.  The important thing that Zero's EVSE does is to provide the ability to adjust the current that will be drawn from the wall socket.  There are three settings that result in a charge rate of 1.3, 1.7 and something like about 2.2kW from a 240v domestic outlet.  I know from my experience that 1.3kW is enough to overheat the plug in the socket sufficiently that it starts to melt the plastic after a few hours.  1.7kW might work with better quality sockets and the highest setting might be ok for shorter charge times with the best hospital grade plugs and sockets.  However, alternative cables probably won't provide that level of control and the on-board charger might just try and pull the full 3kW from a domestic socket.  That will end badly.

Those charging cables really need to be included with the bike, just like they are included with all other electric vehicles.  You wouldn't but a toaster without a power cable.  I can't believe Zero made the decision not to supply these cables with the bike and it needs to be reversed.  Please comment below and petition to get this decision reversed.  I don't think it has come up much yet because customers haven't received their bikes yet. They're in for a nasty shock when they discover they can't use their brand new, very expensive bike without having to fork out another £5-600 on cables first.  It wouldn't surprise me if some dealers didn't even have them in stock and the customer then has to wait a couple of weeks for them to come in.  Frustration and a great source of ill will right from the very start of the ownership experience.  Not a good first impression from a customer's point of view.

Just because early adopters are willing to push the boat out and pay a premium for new technology, it doesn't mean we're all rich and don't mind being stiffed like this.  It's outrageous! 

Please give your thoughts below and let's hope Zero are listening.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:08:54 AM by MostlyBonkers »

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
Re: Charging Cables for the SRF - Not included?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:09:17 AM »

The demo unit I rode had all the paperwork and a J1772 plug / ~10ft wire lead in the tank trunk. Did yours not come with that?

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:16:59 AM »

All Zero SR/F motorcycles come with a Turbocord for charging from a standard wall outlet. If you didn't get one, contact your dealer. I asked this at one of the factory rides and this is what they told me.

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

Bonkers, I’m not sure where you are getting that info...Zero specifically told me I get the cable to plug into the wall with the bike.

Maybe not so abroad? In the US we get one for sure.

Ermahgerd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:21:37 PM »

The german plug (Schuko / Type F) is not included. Zero says on the homepage under data section that you need an optional cable for charging at home. That cable costs 520€. Sounds stupid that some regions get free plugs and others don’t...
Any EU dealers that can put some light into that?
1996 Suzuki GSX 600F
2001 BMW R 1100S
2019 Yamaha MT 09 SP

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »

The german plug (Schuko / Type F) is not included. Zero says on the homepage under data section that you need an optional cable for charging at home. That cable costs 520€. Sounds stupid that some regions get free plugs and others don’t...
Any EU dealers that can put some light into that?

Yes, in Europe the two cables required to charge the SRF are not supplied.  It sounds like only the domestic wall socket charger is supplied in the US, which is also very poor but not as bad.

If any of you can bear Facebook, I posted the same topic in the Zero Owners Group.  Lots of discussion there and a response from Aaron, Zero's head of customer service.

Pages: [1]