• March 29, 2024, 11:28:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Operating ZF3.3 Battery outside of the motorcycle  (Read 342 times)

ShirChen

• View Profile
Operating ZF3.3 Battery outside of the motorcycle
« on: May 29, 2019, 01:02:43 AM »

Hello,
I want to use the battery pack to operate a formula car i'm building.
Right now i get 110V out of the battery but only in the small pin output and not in the connection to the driver.
I know that i need to 'turn on' the battery but i don't know how.
I would appreciate any help
Thanks

clockfort

• 2015 Zero SR; Silicon Valley USA
    • View Profile
Re: Operating ZF3.3 Battery outside of the motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 AM »

I only really know the larger monolith batteries, but it seems likely to me that even the small fx packs also have their own bms-controlled contactors in them ( https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Contactor ) that you will have to close.
I'd also note that at least on the larger monolith batteries, the battery module also has its own serial port that you can use to monitor balance, SoC etc, without having to go through the main bike board.

I'm not sure I'd recommend using the ZF3.3 packs in a car; they're small and somewhat light, but the maximum discharge C-rating for them is probably fairly low compared to what you want in a performance car relative to the battery size. (Or, if you're trying to use the tiny ZF3.3 module as the energy storage component of a formula-1 style KERS module to dump very high spikes of regen charging, the charge C-rating is also not great on these modules)
There are plenty of other battery cell chemistries that have much better maximum charge/discharge C-ratings that you could build a pack out of that are probably better suited to the application.

flattetyre

• View Profile
Re: Operating ZF3.3 Battery outside of the motorcycle
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 04:41:20 AM »

You're building a formula car but couldn't figure this out...really? I honestly don't understand how that's possible.

You can bypass the contactor (the existence of which you should have already known about, or would have found out about with about 5 minutes of reading) or read up on how the VERY WELL DOCUMENTED bms can be communicated with over console.
Pages: [1]