• April 27, 2024, 07:39:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zero battery increase in 2020?  (Read 3256 times)

valnar

• View Profile
Zero battery increase in 2020?
« on: May 28, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »

I'm on the fence about buying a 2019 FXS this year.  I don't necessarily need one and could realistically wait until next year.  Does anyone expect there will be another battery improvement?
Zero FXS 2020

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: Zero battery increase in 2020?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

I'd say there's a moderate chance that the battery will increase.  Historically it's been every few years.  Zero's been pretty close hold about the next model years' changes.  The tech is still new enough that it's almost certain there will be notable improvements every year.  Whether those improvements will be significant to you is pretty much impossible to predict.  I'd say at least 99% of owners "don't necessarily need one and could realistically wait until next year."  For me, I made the decision to buy when they sold a bike that would meet my desires and that I felt I could trust.  I haven't lost any sleep over the incremental improvements from year to year that I "missed out" on because I've been able to enjoy riding.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »

Even if they did increase the battery say 25%, it would move the range from 40-60 miles a ride to 50-75 miles a ride.   And increasing the weight of the bike from 289 to 315 lbs.  If they did that, would that be the bike you want versus what is available today?

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »

Even if they did increase the battery say 25%, it would move the range from 40-60 miles a ride to 50-75 miles a ride.   And increasing the weight of the bike from 289 to 315 lbs.  If they did that, would that be the bike you want versus what is available today?
It might... It's not just batteries.  There could be a paradigm shift in features too.  Lets face it, the FXS is on the borderline for range compared to their other models, so every little bit helps.  I just wanted to take the pulse of those who have seen the changes over the years.  Thanks!
Zero FXS 2020

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:35:18 PM »

Valnar, another aspect of their battery improvement pattern in the past has been to include the new battery in the premium "R" models and tickle down later.
It would all be guess work at this point.  A bigger battery also usually means a price increase.

What most people have been talking about is with the new SRF coming out is will there be all new model platforms to follow?
Again all guess work at this point.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »

The FX models have a capability the other bikes in the line DON'T have:  Swappable batteries.  Even though the range isn't on a par with the S or DS models, you can keep a battery in your office on charge.  When you get to work, replace the depleted battery in the bike with the freshly charged one at the office for the ride home.  Recharge that one overnight, then repeat the next time in.

Also, unlike the other more expensive bikes, it isn't as big a deal to replace the battery when they no longer hold sufficient charge.  In other words, get the bike NOW.  In five years time when the batteries are no longer under warranty replace them with new ones which will likely have more capacity as well.  I wish the other bikes in Zero's line had this kind of flexibility; I just can't stand the look of the FX models...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »

I just can't stand the look of the FX models...
Too sexy?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »

Jaime C your right it is possible but you have to get a "modular" model not the "integrated" model.  The later model's battery can not be removed by the owner.  But again after you buy the off board charger for the removable batteries and buy a second set of batteries you could have bought a SR.
You would just have to LOVE the feel of a lighter bike or either want to race it for that option to make sense.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »

If you find Mantis Shrimps sexy then maybe the FX is too sexy for some.

From what I see, you can still get the modular models:
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/

Don't know why you'd want otherwise, actually.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »

You can still get them.  If I were really wanting one I might go the route of modular myself.
But...
The bike is $8495 and comes with just a 3.6kWh battery at that price.
Three more 3.6 kWh bricks are about $9000
The off board connector is $140
And a Quiq charger that is needed to charge externally is $600

So it's over $18k for that setup.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »

Buying THREE more bricks might be overkill.  Just one should suffice.  You could run the bike with both bricks for fun on weekends, and do the battery swap thing for commuting during the week.  Either way, that's a choice you DON'T have with the non-modular bikes.

Plus, when the batteries eventually DO wear out, it is a helluva lot easier and less expensive to replace them as they are NOT an integral part of the bike like they are with the S/DS/SRF models.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »

You guys might want to check the FX range thread. 

I'm not sure I could make it to the end of my street with a 3.6 :)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »

JaimeC the OP wants a bigger battery than the 7.2.  He feels it may not be enough range for his ride.  It wouldn't make any sense to ride on a 3.6 and swap that out as the 3.6 wouldn't even come close to getting him where he needs to be.  The only benefit would come from having 4 bricks and external charging setup so he would really have 14.4kWh of capacity.  And then only if he wouldn't be able to charge outside or wasn't at work long enough to get a full charge.

It's cool but Zero basically charges $1000 more to get the modular and the extra 3.6 brick to go with it over the price of the integrated 7.2.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »

Any improvement for next year will be marginal at most so go ahead and buy the bike.

Or if you don't like the specs go ahead and buy another bike. Even with a battery breakthrough tomorrow it will be years before you reap the benefits in your ev pack.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 06:02:09 AM »

I'm still operating under the assumption that the SR/F was intended for 2020 release, but they bumped it up to preempt the LiveWire and Lightning Strike.

If that's true, (and if I remember the numbers correctly -- I'm too lazy to check), the baselines haven't changed. IIRC the SR/F has the same battery capacity as the 2018 SR.

Then again, the SR/F has a new battery design, for better cooling. So......never mind.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1] 2 3