• April 24, 2024, 10:05:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help! Zero app not working!  (Read 775 times)

alko

• View Profile
Help! Zero app not working!
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:54:28 AM »

It shows it's "paired" to my vin#, but on the app home page, it say i am not connected to a motorcycle, and I can't adjust/change the custom settings. Seems to be set by previous owner though.. I've followed the instructions. Why would it say I'm "paired" and "not connected" at the same time?

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Help! Zero app not working!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »

It shows it's "paired" to my vin#, but on the app home page, it say i am not connected to a motorcycle, and I can't adjust/change the custom settings. Seems to be set by previous owner though.. I've followed the instructions. Why would it say I'm "paired" and "not connected" at the same time?
The cell phone you're using could be the problem. I discovered the same problem you have with Galaxy players that don't include the cell function. I discovered it had to be a real cell phone, but the cell part does not need to be activated. It has someting to do with the type of processor the cell  uses.

I am using a Verizon 4G lte Galaxy J1 cell, which works fine on my Zeros. The cell is there but is NOT activated.

What are you using for the cell? I expect that is your problem.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:48:33 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »

The cell phone you're using could be the problem. I discovered the same problem you have with Galaxy players that don't include the cell function. I discovered it had to be a real cell phone, but the cell part does not need to be activated. It has someting to do with the type of processor the cell  uses.

I am using a Verizon 4G lte Galaxy J1 cell, which works fine on my Zeros. The cell is there but is NOT activated.

What are you using for the cell? I expect that is your problem.

But also remember, IIRC, the kill switch must be on and the sidestand down, bike in run.   Perhaps something else. I have not used the function since I set mine the way I wanted quite a while back. RTFM if you have not already!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Mine is Galaxy J7 Sky Pro. Could that be the problem?

Key is on, kill switch activated and kickstand down. Blue tooth icon flashing on bike.
I tried kill switch in both settings and still nothing
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:29:31 AM by alko »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:56:11 AM »

Mine is Galaxy J7 Sky Pro. Could that be the problem?

Key is on, kill switch activated and kickstand down. Blue tooth icon flashing on bike.
I tried kill switch in both settings and still nothing.
I just went to my bike and fooled around with mine. Kill switch doesn't matter, I guess that was for pairing only, so I edited my other message. I made contact with my bike just fine.

And in the process, it tells me that my MBB now needs an update at the dealer. I will try to take care of that this week.

I would think your phone would work, but perhaps not. See if you can find another cell phone to try. I know our Zeros are picky on what cell to use.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »

I have found that it may take a while, or several tries, before the cell phone app will pick up the bike, even when the display shows the symbol that the bike is paired with the app.  Sometimes you have to turn the bike on and off a couple of times before it hooks up and the correct information shows on your phone. 

When I bought my 2018 S I asked my dealer to set up my phone so that it was paired to my new bike.  It actually took the experienced salesperson (who had been selling Zeros for 6 years) an hour before she was able to figure out how to do that on my new bike.  I shutter to think about ever getting a new cell phone and trying to pair it to my Zero.  There is something odd about the pairing procedure that Zero should really iron out.  It really shouldn't be such a struggle.  ???

BTW, I have a crappy $150 LG cell phone that doesn't even a model name - at least not one that I have ever been able to discover.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »

I have found that it may take a while, or several tries, before the cell phone app will pick up the bike, even when the display shows the symbol that the bike is paired with the app.  Sometimes you have to turn the bike on and off a couple of times before it hooks up and the correct information shows on your phone. 
I wonder if that could be because of Bluetooth interference.  The 2.4 GHZ band is ridiculously crowded there in the Bay Area.  The Bluetooth from our bikes seems to be a rather weak signal that may not always get over the interference.  That will make your Bluetooth connections rather random.

If you can try your Bluetooth stuff in an underground garage and then never have a Bluetooth connection issue there, that will prove it is 2.4 GHZ interference.

See here for more info.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »

My 2c is I have a $20 burner phone with no cell or internet service other than WIfi.  I have two bikes and when I want to pull up the stats while charging i have to do the following:

Plug the bike in to the charger. (or like you did bike on, kickstand down, kill switch in kill mode)

Turn the phone on.

Tap the app.

While it's coming up there is a "settings" option at the bottom but only while it's starting up, if you miss it you have to reboot the phone.

Once you hit "settings" it will take you to a new screen and there is a "paired" section with the  Bluetooth icon, tap that.

Mine will show the last four VIN numbers for each bike, yours should just be one, tap on it and it should try to reconnect to that bike.

It may take a try or two but it should stay at the sub "settings" section and let you try to reconnect.

Mine has always reconnected by three tries at the most.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 10:57:01 PM »

My 2c is I have a $20 burner phone with no cell or internet service other than WIfi.  I have two bikes and when I want to pull up the stats while charging i have to do the following:

Plug the bike in to the charger. (or like you did bike on, kickstand down, kill switch in kill mode)

Turn the phone on.

Tap the app.

While it's coming up there is a "settings" option at the bottom but only while it's starting up, if you miss it you have to reboot the phone.

Once you hit "settings" it will take you to a new screen and there is a "paired" section with the  Bluetooth icon, tap that.

Mine will show the last four VIN numbers for each bike, yours should just be one, tap on it and it should try to reconnect to that bike.

It may take a try or two but it should stay at the sub "settings" section and let you try to reconnect.

Mine has always reconnected by three tries at the most.

I've done everything you said. I tap on the paired bike. It shows connecting but never does.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:08:46 PM »

I finally got it to work. The only thing I did different is set the bike up first with blue tooth icon flashing. Than I turn the phone app on. For whatever reason, it worked this ti.e and for the first time, showed correct charge and was able to change custom settings. I don't know if bike needed to be in custom mode to do it, but I always put it in custom while I was attempting so that part didn't change.
Thanks for all your help.
Alan

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 03:30:15 AM »

I finally got it to work. The only thing I did different is set the bike up first with blue tooth icon flashing. Than I turn the phone app on. For whatever reason, it worked this ti.e and for the first time, showed correct charge and was able to change custom settings. I don't know if bike needed to be in custom mode to do it, but I always put it in custom while I was attempting so that part didn't change.
Alan

I think it helps if you stand on one leg, face toward Scotts Valley and pray to the Zero gods, while pushing the app Bluetooth button.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dalamario

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »

Alan

The flashing Bluetooth icon on the dashboard means that the motorcycle is in pairing mode. If you already paired it, you don't have to do it.
My 2018 FXS connect to cellphone only by switching it on and opening the app on the cellphone (with Bluetooth enabled) and after few seconds the Bluetooth icon appear on bike dashboard (still, not flashing) and the app start reading values from bike.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »

I tried connecting again this morning and took me 3 tries before it connected. Too finicky!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 12:11:02 AM »

I tried connecting again this morning and took me 3 tries before it connected. Too finicky!
I am wondering if you have a 2.4 Ghz interference problem there. Try to do the same underground or far away from the location you have been trying at and see if you have less problems.

If you're near a 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi router even that can be causing your problems. Or a wireless phone. Or in a microwave path or . . . . The 2.4 Ghz band is crowded with signals from  many different sources that could cause interference to our close by low power Bluetooth signal from our bikes.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 12:29:20 AM »

I am wondering if you have a 2.4 Ghz interference problem there. Try to do the same underground or far away from the location you have been trying at and see if you have less problems.

If you're near a 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi router even that can be causing your problems. Or a wireless phone. Or in a microwave path or . . . . The 2.4 Ghz band is crowded with signals from  many different sources that could cause interference to our close by low power Bluetooth signal from our bikes.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Nothing like that here, but I do live 100 yards from a cell phone tower.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 01:33:00 AM »

Nothing like that here, but I do live 100 yards from a cell phone tower.
That could be causing an overload there, even though it's probably around 1.9 GHZ.   Try a different location and see if it connects a lot better. At least this will give you a good excuse to go for a ride! Try to find a place where radio signals may not be all that strong, such as down in a canyon somewhere, if possible, or an underground garage. Or try a few different locations.

I am on the very top of a hill here and I know I have Bluetooth interference problems here that I don't have at other locations.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X