• March 29, 2024, 12:01:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F vs GSXs 750  (Read 1167 times)

FuzzyTrace

• View Profile

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: SR/F vs GSXs 750
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »

That was disappointing to me. 

Looks like the SR/F is only as fast as a 750 naked bike.  I wonder if the KTM 790 Duke would eat its lunch.

The dove part was cool though.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:48:27 PM »

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »

Is it true the title is wrong the bike is gsr not gsxs?

The riding is all cut up into little snips but the stationary stuff is long with lots of hand movements.  I see the red bike or the guy with the backpack zoom off often.  At minute 11 it looks like they will have a 3 bike drag race and the blue bike on the left gets the lead.

So what is the verdict? I have my sound off.  My ktm freeride is comparable to my 125 two stroke but has no answer for fifth and sixth gear for top speed.  Chances are most all electric bikes are similar.

I also note one of the comments says it is a homing pigeon not a dove.  What minute?  If I put a 17 minute video would you watch it all?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:00:24 PM by Fran K »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:09:15 PM »

That's my dealer, and the dove is a trained white dove that they release for weddings and other events and it looks like this one wants to be fed.

That's about where I would have matched them up at  750cc.  Those short stroke sport bikes need higher RPMs to get their power but then it's over and they fly off at 140MPH.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:00:29 AM »

Looks like the SR/F is only as fast as a 750 naked bike.

Well no shit, it has 80kw input power so probably in the neighborhood of 80hp to the wheel and weighs 500 lbs! In performance speak that is a recipe for SLOW AS BALLS. A puny 600 supersport weighs barely over 400 with a full tank of gas and puts over 100hp to the wheel, all available from a dead stop if the rider uses his clutch. Those bikes are the butt of jokes but they will waste a SR/F.

People think the SR/F and ebikes in general are fast because they're really torquey and quick at low speed. But you can't beat physics. Power to weight decimates.

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:40:55 AM »

seems like i keep hearing conflicting reports on how fast it is. Some people on FB are saying it feels much faster while some are saying they can't tell the difference.

George Cowly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:31:48 PM »

I have to admit I didn't watch the whole video, only parts of it, as these two guys are really annoying. And I don't see the point of such a comparison. Are they comparing speed, torque, acceleration or what? The germain newspaper "die Zeit" wrote something about the SR/F. It's not an academic article either. They kind of compared the SR/F with the KTM 1290 Super Duke R and the Ducati Monster 1200 R. I quote one part of the article: "Im Sprint sind die Verbrenner von KTM und Ducati gegen die elektrische Rakete chancenlos. Ab 140 km/h lässt der Vortrieb der Zero spürbar nach. Dann sind die beiden Benziner auf Touren gekommen und hängen die Elektromaschine locker ab."
In English:
"During sprint, the KTM and Ducati ICE are without chance against the electric rocket. From 140 km/h on, the drive of the Zero noticeably subsides. Then the two petrol engines got into gear and leave the electric bike behind."
As far as I know, there is only one country in the world, where you are still allowed to go beyond 140km/h (87mph). For the huge majority of us speed beyond the legal limit is pointless.

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »

I had the GSXS1000 naked, it was a beast, if you look around, you can find those new for $7-8 grand, puts things in perspective. 

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »

"During sprint, the KTM and Ducati ICE are without chance against the electric rocket.
Hard to believe.  Will need video proof.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »

Looks like the SR/F is only as fast as a 750 naked bike.

Well no shit, it has 80kw input power so probably in the neighborhood of 80hp to the wheel and weighs 500 lbs! In performance speak that is a recipe for SLOW AS BALLS. A puny 600 supersport weighs barely over 400 with a full tank of gas and puts over 100hp to the wheel, all available from a dead stop if the rider uses his clutch. Those bikes are the butt of jokes but they will waste a SR/F.

People think the SR/F and ebikes in general are fast because they're really torquey and quick at low speed. But you can't beat physics. Power to weight decimates.

I think it all depends on the application.  On the track, an ICE bike will kill any Zero except for perhaps some very specific circumstances.  On the street, the Zero may have an advantage over those that short-shift and are not in the power band.  Keeping an ICE bike in the power band is best reserved for areas without many others around, lest you draw unwanted attention from law enforcement and the general public because you can often hear a high revving engine before you can see it.
  In short, Zero's a great choice for more urban environments, but ICE is probably still the way to go for true racing.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 09:17:18 PM »

I've also seen that video and driven the SR/F myself. Here is what i can say:

The SRF, due to its torque, feels faster than it is. I measured 3.6-3.8s 0-100km/h (i have gopro footage if someone is interested).
What i want to say with that: that times aren't slow. But a fast 600cc Bike or bigger is faster. BUT, and this is a big but: In reallife, you are not rinding sprints all the time, and you mostly aren't in the perfect gear on you gas bike (unless riding springs or really fast). On the Zero, you are in perfect gear all the time. And this is why it feels so powerfull.

You definetly can easy notice the difference between my 16SR in power, and even more in power-responsiveness. But it still couldn't beat my last gas bike (KTM 990 SuperDuke).

So what is the verdict: riding the srf, it feels plenty powerfull. But when doing sprints, i wish there were 0.5s less on the clock. Then I could say that it's a Gasbike beater, because you can ride it much more consistant
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »

Unfortunately I didn't watch the video until after I test rode the SR/F so I never checked if the bike would free roll when switched off. Can anyone confirm if current SR's/DSR's will lock the wheels when switched off? It's not a deal breaker for me but something I now know I need to to take into account when parking the SR/F.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »

They sell a parking brake if you need one.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »

I measured 3.6-3.8s 0-100km/h
Bummer.
Pages: [1] 2