• April 25, 2024, 09:49:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alarm alternatives and DIY  (Read 314 times)

Peter-se

• View Profile
Alarm alternatives and DIY
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:40:56 AM »

I just got off the phone with Zero to verify what my dealer told me - install an alarm like Scorpio on the bike and it voids the warranty.
Apparently connecting an alarm to the main cables will do that.

Which sucks since I bought the alarm before knowing this.
Too late to return it.

So. Dumb newbie question, but is it possible to install an alarm (like Scorpio) using idk an external battery fitted under the seat or somewhere. Or do motorbike alarms require a hookup to the bike.

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: Alarm alternatives and DIY
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »

Installing 3rd party accessories doesn't void your warranty, but the warranty won't cover damaged caused by 3rd party accessories. So if you install it and the DCDC fails(it generates 12V for Zero bikes) then you might be on the hook for that. Or something else that they can connect to the install of the alarm.

Zero's don't have an always on 12V line, so anytime it's keyed off you'll get the low battery warning and the device will eventually shut down. That's the big difference between Zeros and an ICE bike with a 12V battery. So installing a 12V battery might be better all around.

I don't think a Scorpio needs to be connected to the bike at all, just powered, so sticking it somewhere with a 12V battery might be a good solution

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 02:13:06 AM »

It's against federal law for them to void your warranty for adding accessories--they would have to prove your accessory caused whatever damage you're trying to make a warranty claim on.

In practice they know you're just a regular guy who can't / won't fight it out in the courtroom. They're probably right since you made this thread.

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 06:53:36 AM »

It's against federal law for them to void your warranty for adding accessories--they would have to prove your accessory caused whatever damage you're trying to make a warranty claim on.

In practice they know you're just a regular guy who can't / won't fight it out in the courtroom. They're probably right since you made this thread.
It's been discussed in other threads -- this may be the case in the US, but in some other countries different laws apply and the warranty would be void (a Zero owner in the Netherlands determined this vis-a-vis a DigiNow charger). In my country it's even worse -- legally speaking, the importer can void the warranty for installing virtually any third-party accessory whatsoever, without needing to prove anything.
Pages: [1]