• April 25, 2024, 11:41:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New review at Bennetts for SR/F  (Read 698 times)

chrisho

• View Profile
New review at Bennetts for SR/F
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:17:30 PM »

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/zero/zero-srf-2020-electric-motorcycle-review

Some range concerns expressed there, the cost analysis up front is United Kingdom related and can be skipped to get to meat of the article

zugvogel

• View Profile
Re: New review at Bennetts for SR/F
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 12:49:13 AM »

oh dear, this is not making my decision to buy one any easier... 60 miles real world range...
Here is a direct link to his YouTube video review:
...loving my Eva

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:41:48 AM »

oh dear, this is not making my decision to buy one any easier... 60 miles real world range...
That depends on where you "real world" is. If you ride the  ways Zero recommends you can more than double that 60 miles. Slow steady speeds are the most important.

On my Zeros, I always take the slowest route possible and find my range to usually be close to Zero's specs. Sometime even better. I stay off the freeways as much as possible on my Zeros.

For longer distances at faster speeds, I have my ICE bikes.

FWIW, I still put more miles on my two electric motorcycles than all my other bikes combined. The Zeros are ridden almost every day. I find they are the most fun bikes to ride for most stuff.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »

Zero claims only 82 miles at a sustained 70mph, so something in the 60's if you're really flogging it sounds unsurprising.  It seems like everyone who's had a chance to ride one of these (press or customers alike) immediately wants to find an open stretch of road and pin the throttle to see how fast they can hit 100+.  I'm sure it's a hoot, but is that really what you'd call "real world" mileage?  Every sprint up to triple digits is going to wolf down battery like there's no tomorrow.  For more law-abiding riding, I expect zero's estimates will be accurate.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 04:08:15 AM »

Zero claims only 82 miles at a sustained 70mph, so something in the 60's if you're really flogging it sounds unsurprising.  It seems like everyone who's had a chance to ride one of these (press or customers alike) immediately wants to find an open stretch of road and pin the throttle to see how fast they can hit 100+.  I'm sure it's a hoot, but is that really what you'd call "real world" mileage?  Every sprint up to triple digits is going to wolf down battery like there's no tomorrow.  For more law-abiding riding, I expect zero's estimates will be accurate.

Indeed.  As Buell's website once said under their "Race Parts" catalog:  You're an adult.  ACT LIKE ONE.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

chrisho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 04:11:38 AM »

well I did not really see any extreme riding on his part, most of my routes have highway sections to get to fun roads but even those roads are 45 to 55 mountain roads. So yeah, we have range optimized for city riding with a motor and chassis that says keep it out of city. 

still going to wait for other reviewers to chime in, I won't be test riding till the last week of the month.

Zoom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 04:52:31 AM »

Agreed, now that I've watched the video, the clips he's chosen are mostly tame save for a couple blasts up to what may have been triple digits.  The written review mentioned some more aggressive testing that we don't see in the video.  I don't doubt he had the thing over 100mph at some point during his lengthy ride, but as for average speed who knows?  It's definitely possible that real world range on these is under what zero is advertising, but I'd wait for more folks to do tests like these before jumping to conclusions.

Just like all zeroes, range is going to be a deal breaker for some riders.  For others, they'll need the optional power tank to squeeze out enough for the riding they're used to.  For me, the range is fine for what I'll be doing.  Until we get much more energy-dense battery tech, the balance between weight, performance, and looks are going to ask us to compromise.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 05:48:10 AM »

Maybe more significant that the velocity in this case is the constant use of full power when it's not needed. Sprinting away from every light is a sure way to reduce range in any EV. Save the big throttle for the places where it's the most fun. With any fast bike we tend to ride it too fast when new. With any reviewer they tend to ride it balls out all the time. That kind of riding is certain to bring in a flurry of negative reviews. Educating the reviewers before turning them loose is something Zero should be doing.

zugvogel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37:50 AM »

most of my routes have highway sections to get to fun roads but even those roads are 45 to 55 mountain roads.

;) sounds like we live in the same area... see my other thread "4 routes and only one short enough?"
...loving my Eva

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »

He was riding that thing about as hard as he could in that traffic and those back roads. 

If he had a range (miles left) meter on his gas bike and rode it like that he wouldn't be getting the MPG that they advertised either.

But it still looked like fun.  I just hope people don't get turned off form this.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »

When I demo'ed the bike I started with 56%, rode about 30 minutes and ended with 22%.

I think I went about 20-25 miles, so 60-75 miles sounds about right if you are heavy with the throttle.

I feel like that new motor really sucks down the juice from the 14.4 battery. 

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 08:28:34 PM »

He was riding that thing about as hard as he could in that traffic and those back roads. 

If he had a range (miles left) meter on his gas bike and rode it like that he wouldn't be getting the MPG that they advertised either.

But it still looked like fun.  I just hope people don't get turned off form this.
That is what I thought.  His "city" driving was pretty fast and aggressive.  I think we all will be shocked a little when we first get the bike at the power and the range.  After our right hand calms down a little and we driving the bikes more conservatively, this will even out.  i mean what is the first thing we do when we get a new bike, drive it fast and hard.  I can see that definitely affecting the range.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Pages: [1]