• April 26, 2024, 05:39:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alameda County Sheriff's Civilian training course  (Read 414 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Alameda County Sheriff's Civilian training course
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:05:09 AM »

Has anyone taken the Alameda County Sheriff's Civilian training course ( https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=103 )? If yes, what advice do you have (um, what will I need to do to pass)? I'm planing to take the course (next weekend) on my 2018 SR. This may make the course more difficult than renting a KAWA 1000 (due to turning radius), but my wrist is not fully recovered from my January crash and I'm not sure I can pull in/let out a clutch all day long. I been practicing cone weaves (think I'm doing OK) but my u-turns/circles sort of s--k: on a good day a can do a 30' diameter, but don't feel at all comfortable.

Related note, preparing for the course, I've purchased and am trying to install drop bars -- the non-police version. I've reviewed the writeup in the unofficial manual (and also a related post in this forum). Concerning the "small shoulder brackets," one of the holes on the left side has a screw and a small gauge (meaning, small wire diameter) attached. This is no big deal, just wondering what it's attached to at the other end. More seriously (as in AURGH!!!) the other three threaded holes in the frame were covered by caplugs. I got two removed, the third I managed to break off the head and -- now what? I messed around with it for a while with various tools and a drill, then decided to do the smart thing and take it to an expert (my favorite local motorcycle shop). Which is of course closed until Tuesday. Any advice? (Worst scenario: I secure the RHS bracket with a single screw instead of two.)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

alko

• View Profile
Re: Alameda County Sheriff's Civilian training course
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »

Should be a breeze on the zero. Especially the slow technical stuff where you won't be feathering a clutch. Wish I had a Zero 30 years ago when I took a safety course, and a guy who dumped his brand new Honda cbr probably wish he did to. Just remember the front brake is what gets people in trouble in slow turns. Rear brake only in the slow stuff. I easily do 5m (15') u-tunes no problem.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:44:41 PM by alko »

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »

The Zero is actually pretty perfect for low speed manouvers. The only thing where it has a slight disadvantage is going on a straight line very slowly (2-3 km/h). Here the thin tyres make it more unstable, but the Swiss exam conditions (10m in minimum 15 sec) are still doable.

[...] 30' diameter
Is that feet? So, 10m (sorry, I am not so familiar with imperial measurements)? I think the Zero can do a 5m diameter turn, so it should be pretty much on par with many other ICE bikes.

In general: Yes, sure. Take the Zero. It will be much more fun for you.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »

Go to a parking lot and practice until you can do circles / figure 8 with the bars turned all the way to lock. Rear brake makes great confidence for low speed maneuvers.

I wonder though, if you can't do this, don't you look really silly on the street trying to make a u-turn? lol

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »

Has anyone taken the Alameda County Sheriff's Civilian training course ( https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=103 )? If yes, what advice do you have (um, what will I need to do to pass)? I'm planing to take the course (next weekend) on my 2018 SR. This may make the course more difficult than renting a KAWA 1000 (due to turning radius), but my wrist is not fully recovered from my January crash and I'm not sure I can pull in/let out a clutch all day long. I been practicing cone weaves (think I'm doing OK) but my u-turns/circles sort of s--k: on a good day a can do a 30' diameter, but don't feel at all comfortable.

Related note, preparing for the course, I've purchased and am trying to install drop bars -- the non-police version. I've reviewed the writeup in the unofficial manual (and also a related post in this forum). Concerning the "small shoulder brackets," one of the holes on the left side has a screw and a small gauge (meaning, small wire diameter) attached. This is no big deal, just wondering what it's attached to at the other end. More seriously (as in AURGH!!!) the other three threaded holes in the frame were covered by caplugs. I got two removed, the third I managed to break off the head and -- now what? I messed around with it for a while with various tools and a drill, then decided to do the smart thing and take it to an expert (my favorite local motorcycle shop). Which is of course closed until Tuesday. Any advice? (Worst scenario: I secure the RHS bracket with a single screw instead of two.)

I recommend looking on BARF.  I recall the course being mentioned, and there's probably a lot of detail there.  If your questions aren't answered by searching, the board is pretty active and will get back to you quickly.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »

The small gauge wire May be the grounding wire between the frame & the forks.
This is needed to protect the steering head bearings from static electricity.
Without it, the balls could get pitted & fail prematurely.
There is also one (ground strap) for the rear swing arm.

Re the severed plug....
A left hand drill May help (McMaster Carr).
Perhaps a screw extractor also may get it.
If too much material has already been removed (you mentioned drill), perhaps try using some heat to soften/distort the plastic & use a dental type pick to work it out.
You may have to chase the threads afterwards.

Good luck in both indeveres.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:13:11 AM »

Hmmm..........I thought these motorcycle safety courses provided the bikes.  The course I took in Maryland many years ago provided everyone with a Honda Rebel to train on.  That's also the bike we took the riding test on at the end of the course.

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:13:15 AM »

Hmmm..........I thought these motorcycle safety courses provided the bikes.  The course I took in Maryland many years ago provided everyone with a Honda Rebel to train on.  That's also the bike we took the riding test on at the end of the course.

I guess it depends on who's running it. I had to take one while I was in the Navy in order to ride on the base. So we supplied our own bike. Makes sense that the navy wont supply them, especially back in 1988.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »

I haven't attended the Alameda County Sheriff's course, but I've heard good things about it and think the course is very different from the basic MSF course.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »

The Zero is actually pretty perfect for low speed manouvers. The only thing where it has a slight disadvantage is going on a straight line very slowly (2-3 km/h). Here the thin tyres make it more unstable, but the Swiss exam conditions (10m in minimum 15 sec) are still doable.

[...] 30' diameter
Is that feet? So, 10m (sorry, I am not so familiar with imperial measurements)? I think the Zero can do a 5m diameter turn, so it should be pretty much on par with many other ICE bikes.

In general: Yes, sure. Take the Zero. It will be much more fun for you.
30' is 30 feet, or 9.14m. On a good day I can do that now. To pass the California DMV test to get a motorcycle endorsement you have to turn in a 20' (6m) circle. The alternative is to take a MSF course and, if you pass (which almost everyone does) you get the endorsement.

Unf. there's an 80% chance of rain here (Bay Area, California, US) on Saturday. That's almost unheard of -- our rainy season should be over! The course is taught rain or shine, but I doubt I'll attend if there's anything more serious than scattered showers.
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »

I recommend looking on BARF.  I recall the course being mentioned, and there's probably a lot of detail there.  If your questions aren't answered by searching, the board is pretty active and will get back to you quickly.
Thanks - I didn't know about BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum). There was an entire thread on the course.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

gyrocyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 05:06:28 AM »

More seriously (as in AURGH!!!) the other three threaded holes in the frame were covered by caplugs. I got two removed, the third I managed to break off the head and -- now what?
I finally took this to my favorite local shop (LiveMoto) and found it has closed for good. So I took it to my new favorite local shop -- Alan and Sons. Alan fussed with it a bit, brought out a soldering iron, then asked if it was OK to just push the remainder of the plug (which he called a "christmas tree" all the way into the frame? Well, heck, yes! So that's what he did. No, charge, but after I get the drop bars installed I'm taking it back so he can test-ride.

Update: aurhg!!! got the RHS bar installed, then discovered I had two RHS bars. Called my dealer (who is 40 miles away) and was told, "we've been having some problems ordering parts." Hopefully I'll have the proper part later this week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:32:14 AM by gyrocyclist »
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR
Pages: [1]