• April 26, 2024, 11:08:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another Battery/Charging Concern with my 2019 FX  (Read 350 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Another Battery/Charging Concern with my 2019 FX
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »

So last night I'm leaving dinner and I have 30% on my FX.  It's 7 miles home, so I figured I'd take the highway.

I'm running along at 65 mph and notice the charge is dropping about 1% every few seconds.  When it got down to 7%, I pulled off on a side street about 3 miles from home and brought the speed down to 35 mph.

Pretty soon, I was at 2%, then 0% and I was sweating to see if I could make it home.  I rolled into the driveway with .4 miles of range left and immediately plugged it in.

This morning I get up and check the charge and it shows 0% and the green charge light is flashing rapidly.  I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it goes through its normal pre-charging process and then shows 62% of charge.  It also looks like the check engine light is kind of lingering a bit longer than normal during the pre-charge time.  Maybe I just hadn't noticed that before.

I'm trying to upload the battery logs to Zero right on, but that has been very hit or miss for me in the past.  Once they upload, I'm going to put it back on the charger and see if it will go over 62% of charge.

Has anyone seen this before?

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: Another Battery/Charging Concern with my 2019 FX
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:36:26 AM »

FX is now charged to 100%. Took it for a quick spin and all seemed fine.

Sent the logs and details to Zero, but they won't see it til Monday. Dealer said all troubleshooting goes back to Zero anyway, so might as well wait and see what they say next week.

In the meantime, I'm going to call it a fluke and ride on.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:10:48 AM »

Well yes I’ve seen this or something like it before. In fact when it happened the second time this was the last straw and I sold my 15 SR.

Troubles started after the first Firmware update. For a year it was as if it had morphed into an S  for performance and 7.2 for range. Several updates later it was the same. Then came the final update. It seemed to have finally been restored and all was normal until the first time “it” happened. At 25% It acted like it was in safe mode and proceeded just like you described. I crawled at 3-5mph for the last mile but didn’t make it. Called for a $106 tow to get home. 

Unlike your case it charged normally and was at 100% by morning.  I had no reason to go lower than 50% for a couple of weeks and then on the last ride once it got to 30%, suddenly dropped 1% every second or so.  It even kept going down at the stoplight. It was at 0 battery and 1.5 miles about 1.2 from home.  I live on a very steep hill. When I got there it would not pull up the hill. No way I could push it, in fact I probably could not walk myself up that far but I got the quick idea to get off and hope it could pull itself up unladen.  By golly it made it, sort of tugging me along in the process.  It nearly killed me walking that slope and I’m sure would have gone dark by the next house.

Oh and then there were those three onboard charger replacements.

As for being an early adapter, supporter of a CA company and other wrong reasons to spend a lot of money, well...Been there, Done THAT.[emoji6] once was enough.
When it worked it was great but
no way I’d consider another one, especially a brand new unproven model after this experience. -George in San Diego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:17:35 AM »

Yikes, sorry to hear about that.

I will be testing it out Monday morning on a long ride that will likely use near 100% of the charge. 

Interested to see if it makes it or I get to call a tow truck.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 03:22:23 AM »

Plenty has been written in this forum about issues following updates recommended by Zero.  Can’t think of one case where anyone noticed an improvement.  Did your situation “just happen” or have you had updates?

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 04:28:10 AM »

Just happened, no updates.

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 04:46:51 AM »

Keep us posted. Best Wishes!