• April 25, 2024, 05:55:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does anyone know when Zero plans on updating the FX?  (Read 717 times)

griffbl

• View Profile
Does anyone know when Zero plans on updating the FX?
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:20:39 AM »

Fellow Riders-

I bought an  2019 Alta EXR, and loved it.  Then of course, Alta's bankruptcy happened and I sold the bike.  Probably should have just ridden it until it broke, but I did not.  Does anyone know when the FX is due for a re-fresh? I wish it had a bit better suspension, and or maybe a charger that was external to the bike per Alta. That would make the bike a bit lighter, and I know it can be convenient to have the charger on board.  I notice the Zero MMX has an external charger as one is not built in.  Charge times are much longer for the Zero than was the case with the Alta when I used a single external charger and 110V.  Oh well.  I was just hoping Zero might be making some improvements soon, as the bike seems due for a re-fresh and not just a color change.  Many Thanks!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know when Zero plans on updating the FX?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »

I think maybe you should have rode it into the ground too.  :)   I don't like how the whole Alta thing went down.  The Zero has a bigger battery that's why it takes longer from a 110V outlet.
Anyway no one other than company guys know for sure when an update will happen and they aren't able to say.
On one hand it seems likely with the SRF now out but I don't know how much of that bike can carry over into the smaller dirt bike model.
Honda's  little new bike demo was not too impressive so for now the dirt market seems wide open.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »

I agree that Zero needs to take advantage of Alta's demise. I don't think the FX is motocross style like the Alta, so Zero needs to fill that gap imo. Seems stupid that you have to buy a chain kit for the fx when chain should be standard.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »

I've already encountered Zero employees who formerly worked for Alta. So, there are some good possibilities in that cross-pollination regard.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Ireek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 06:44:13 PM »

I think a warmed over FX is possible but anything as hard core as the EXR would be a ways off, personally, I think Zero needs to focus on the commuter crowd to get the numbers up, then when more stable financially, focus on the off-road/dual sport side more.  We have to face the fact that off road riding areas are closing up at a rapid rate, I live in rural Tennessee and have few options for off road riding.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »

I think a warmed over FX is possible but anything as hard core as the EXR would be a ways off, personally, I think Zero needs to focus on the commuter crowd to get the numbers up, then when more stable financially, focus on the off-road/dual sport side more.  We have to face the fact that off road riding areas are closing up at a rapid rate, I live in rural Tennessee and have few options for off road riding.

I tend to agree, for the same reasons.  However, I also believe that an dirt racer would be a good idea as it allows off-road racing enthusiasts to ride at tracks near urban environments so that noise is not an issue as it is with ICE racing bikes.  Unfortunately, such tracks and riding areas are being developed with new homes and commercial buildings a lot faster than they are being established. Add to that the cost of building an entirely new dirt-racing platform and I think the risk and cost is not worth the potential reward for Zero.  ???  As vehicle manufacturing companies go, they are really small potatoes and likely don't have the resources to develop a chassis with limited marketing potential, especially after what it must have cost them to design and manufacture the SR/F platform and components.

Thinking about it further, it is really too bad that Zero was not able to acquire the design, patents and manufacturing tools for the Alta models.   All of those years of development and marketing by Alta going down the drain is very sad.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 07:47:16 PM »

"Quote"

Thinking about it further, it is really too bad that Zero was not able to acquire the design, patents and manufacturing tools for the Alta models.   All of those years of development and marketing by Alta going down the drain is very sad.   :(
[/quote]

BRP bought Alta assetts, so who knows what BRP plans on doing with it, but I agree Zero should have made an offer.
What would it take to turn an FX into a hardcore racer? Upgraded suspension, tires, chain drive. Lose the lights. Seems that would be a great start.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »

The Alta had reduction gearing and used 18650 cells, which went against what Zero uses. The Alta seemed to have lower center of gravity with the battery case lower and acting as part of the frame.  It could catch a little air with the gearing and if all dirt bikes were as quiet and clean as electric bikes they might not be closing so many areas.
Of course a pure MX has to be trucked in so that kind of kills the eco angle.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »

What would it take to turn an FX into a hardcore racer? Upgraded suspension, tires, chain drive. Lose the lights. Seems that would be a great start.

You said hard core racer.  I think having the motor at the swingarm pivot compromises ground clearance.

griffbl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 04:19:32 AM »

To clarify, my 2019 Alta EX R Redshift was a fully street legal (turn signals the works) enduro type bike....not a motocross version.  I used it like you would a zero FX, meaning I did not ride super hard core stuff off road, but the Altas was up to that task and more at home off road than is the current FX iteration (and to be fair to the FX, the opposite is also true if you are on road vs. off road more frequently).  You could right straight to any trail head, and be legal doing it.  Just like an FX. I had just hoped the FX might be due for a little better suspension, or some battery life improvements etc. soon.  The Alta had a battery rated at 6.5 vs. the 7.2 for the Zero FX (if those numbers are comparable) but the charge times on 110V with a single external Alta charger vs. the charge times for the Zero with the built in charger are less than half the time to a full charge. A full four hours less!  That is why I was asking the question as to charge times. 

Yes, BRP bought the Alta assets.  There was not a lot of proprietary tech there, but there was some.  I do not thing BRP i.e. Can Am has any interest in building a motorcycle.  Especially off road types, as it has been pointed out, that is a very small market, and no doubt lead to Alta's demise. I think BRP was just interested in what they could glean what Alta had learned as to software, battery, electric motor design and integration.

Thanks!

Brad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:31:55 AM by griffbl »

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »

Electric motocross bikes are a tough sell because they are more expensive, heavier, and lower performance than piston models. The advantages of lower noise and no shifting aren't very persuasive for most motocross riders, and for those who race the bike is not even a slight consideration unless they're rich, since they can't run it in their class of choice.

Also the latest Alta Redshift MXR battery overheats on faster tracks in warm climates with a decent rider. Guy at the local track has a 2018 Redshift MXR.

Enduro and trails are a different matter, where electric has more of a chance to shine with current technology.
Pages: [1]