• April 27, 2024, 06:59:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need Help: 2017 dsr shows empty when I just charged it last night  (Read 2133 times)

alko

• View Profile

Need Help: 2017 dsr shows empty when I just charged it last night. Drove it 2 miles this morning and stopped for lunch. When I tried to leave, it wouldn't go. Lights work, but red light blinks and battery shows zero percent charge. Checked all normal stuff like cutoff switch and kickstand, but even than, it should still show full battery.
Still had 60% when I hooked it up last night.

tyzbit

• View Profile
Re: Need Help: 2017 dsr shows empty when I just charged it last night
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:24:10 AM »

Disclaimer: I have a good amount of experience troubleshooting electronic devices, but haven't owned a Zero as long as some other helpful people here.

Without knowing what level your battery was this morning, I'd wager a guess either your battery's got an issue or your battery management system has an issue.  Either way, there's not enough information yet to really troubleshoot what's happening.

What happens when you try to charge it again? Does it hold that charge, if it does fully charge? I'm guessing you're just using a wall charger? Does that click on and appear to charge the battery when you plug it in?

I'd say if it's not a fluke and your bike is accepting a charge but immediately showing the charge level to be zero, I'd think about resetting the BMS https://zeromanual.com/wiki/BMS_Reset_Procedure

Worst case scenario you're well within warranty period for your battery.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:20:42 AM by tyzbit »
2018 Zero SR + Charge Tank, TeslaTap

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 02:06:22 AM »

Disclaimer: I have a good amount of experience troubleshooting electronic devices, but haven't been a Zero as long as some other helpful people here.

Without knowing what level your battery was this morning, I'd wager a guess either your battery's got an issue or your battery management system has an issue.  Either way, there's not enough information yet to really troubleshoot what's happening.

What happens when you try to charge it again? Does it hold that charge, if it does fully charge? I'm guessing you're just using a wall charger? Does that click on and appear to charge the battery when you plug it in?

I'd say if it's not a fluke and your bike is accepting a charge but immediately showing the charge level to be zero, I'd think about resetting the BMS https://zeromanual.com/wiki/BMS_Reset_Procedure

It was charging last night same as usual and was at 100% when I left this morning. Only drove it 2 miles and parked for lunch. I had to walk 2 miles home and will try to go pick it up later today. I'll look in to resetting the bms. Thanks

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »

Disclaimer: I have a good amount of experience troubleshooting electronic devices, but haven't been a Zero as long as some other helpful people here.

Ok, I'm confused. According to the the manual, 2015+ is supposed to have 2 ports, but there is only one with the dielectric grease no port showing led lights or reset buttons. Anyone see a reset button in there?
Also, there is no error code on the dash, but the red light flashes twice with a short pause, than flashes 4 more times, than starts over after a longer pause.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:09:04 AM by alko »

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 06:52:19 PM »

Ok, I'm confused. According to the the manual, 2015+ is supposed to have 2 ports, but there is only one with the dielectric grease no port showing led lights or reset buttons. Anyone see a reset button in there?

I have a 2017 DSR also and was wondering the same thing.

PS - I had a similar problem with my DSR when it was new and removing and reinstalling one of the main fuses fixed it.  See this thread.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7963.msg67117#msg67117
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:56:36 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

Also, there is no error code on the dash, but the red light flashes twice with a short pause, than flashes 4 more times, than starts over after a longer pause.

According to your manual (http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2017/2017-Zero-Owners-Manual-S-SR-DS-DSR.pdf) that means "Battery Management System Throttle Disable"

I highlighted in thick circles where I think I see your reset buttons and the thin circle is your LEDs.  See if those are actually buttons and try a reset.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 07:56:28 PM »

According to your manual (http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2017/2017-Zero-Owners-Manual-S-SR-DS-DSR.pdf) that means "Battery Management System Throttle Disable"

I highlighted in thick circles where I think I see your reset buttons and the thin circle is your LEDs.  See if those are actually buttons and try a reset.

The reset buttons must be under the grease. I will check it out, but still doesn't make sense that my bike only has one port. Is the unofficial manual not up to date?
If those are the LED lights, they should be lit up like it shows in the unofficial manual. The 12volt system works as the headlight and turn signals all are working. The battery can't be completely dead.

Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:29:31 PM by alko »

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »

The reset buttons must be under the grease. I will check it out, but still doesn't make sense that my bike only has one port. Is the unofficial manual not up to date?

Also, the link you provided is for the entire manual. Do you know what page that info is on? Thanks

The codes start on page 107.  I can't speak for the unofficial manual but it's definitely possible that they consolidated the ports and the manual is just a little out of date there.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »

Also, the link you provided is for the entire manual. Do you know what page that info is on? Thanks

The codes start on page 107.  I can't speak for the unofficial manual but it's definitely possible that they consolidated the ports and the manual is just a little out of date there.

Thanks for your help. I'll be contacting the dealer. It would be nice if it's something they can talk me through so I don't have to drive 3 hour round trip today and rent a uhaul trailer.

Burpman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 11:47:44 PM »

Need Help: 2017 dsr shows empty when I just charged it last night. Drove it 2 miles this morning and stopped for lunch. When I tried to leave, it wouldn't go. Lights work, but red light blinks and battery shows zero percent charge. Checked all normal stuff like cutoff switch and kickstand, but even than, it should still show full battery.
Still had 60% when I hooked it up last night.

I can hardly believe I am reading this now, had yesterday afternoon the exact the same issue.
(DS 2017 40250 km)
But after switching on I did have error codes:

6: BMS throttle enable wire error
25: Contactor open warning
40: BMS throttle en wire disable
47: MBB Charger Connected Disable.
48: SEVCON Startup Disable
49: Contactor open disable

After pulling the two cables on the Main Bike Board (MBB) 30 secs the contractor closed en all worked well again.
Pulled the logs, the MMB was set to 01-01-1970 (later on the date was set automatically to today).
Maybe you can try the same?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:55:33 PM by Burpman »

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 12:28:33 AM »

Quote:
After pulling the two cables on the Main Bike Board (MBB) 30 secs the contractor closed en all worked well again.
Pulled the logs, the MMB was set to 01-01-1970 (later on the date was set automatically to today).
Maybe you can try the same?
[/quote]

That worked! I don't know how you knew that butvi am so glad there are smarter people than me on here. Those cables are packed so damn tight that I had to cut some zip ties to get them loose.
Thanks so much! I hope it never happens again.

Burpman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 01:32:20 AM »

That worked! I don't know how you knew that butvi am so glad there are smarter people than me on here. Those cables are packed so damn tight that I had to cut some zip ties to get them loose.
[/quote]

That's good to read !!!
I posted the problem on the Benelux facebook group, there were fortunately also smart members ;-)

alko: Please pull the two logs and let the dealer send them to Zero?
And let us know the results?
I'm curious if their findings are the same as with mine logs!!

Have fun with your Zero, and many safe kilometers!!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:41:22 PM by Burpman »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »

Burpman thanks for posting this fix.  Sorry if I'm a bit daft about what your talking about disconnecting but your arrows are to the multi wire plug on the left side and a covered plug on the right side?
Do you need to remove anything but the seat to get to them?
Thanks.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 11:54:48 PM »

That's good to read !!!
I posted the problem on the Benelux facebook group, there were fortunately also smart members ;-)

alko: Please pull the two logs and let the dealer send them to Zero?
And let us know the results?
I'm curious if their findings are the same as with mine logs!!

Have fun with your Zero, and many safe kilometers!!!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I don't know how to pull logs.

Burpman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 01:55:13 AM »

Burpman thanks for posting this fix.  Sorry if I'm a bit daft about what your talking about disconnecting but your arrows are to the multi wire plug on the left side and a covered plug on the right side?
Do you need to remove anything but the seat to get to them?
Thanks.

hi NEW2elec, I mean the two big plugs that go to the The Main Bike Board (MBB).
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Main_Bike_Board.
i just removed the seat en released both plugs about 10mm for 30 sec.
No zip ties cutting needed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:01:09 AM by Burpman »
Pages: [1] 2