• April 25, 2024, 05:59:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX as a dirt bike  (Read 500 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
FX as a dirt bike
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »

I am wanting to purchase an FX.  I managed to sell a bike and so I think I will be going ahead with this.  This is my first post with questions: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8804.0 

I know I am asking some of the same questions again but I wanted to see if others had input on options for off-road use.

According to the specs, the FX in the 3.6 modular mode is 247 lbs.  If that is accurate, it is comparable to my 350 EXC-F.  In the 7.2 config, it weighs 287, a noticeable increase.

It looks like there is weight to be lost by removing buddy pegs and mounts, mirrors, and lighting parts.  And weight to be gained with chain kit and bark busters.  Maybe a wash overall.  Has anyone done this already?

I am wondering about the benefit of the modular config versus the extra cost which appears to be a $1,000.  It would be nice to be lighter but maybe it is not worth it. The spec shows an additional 19 HP with the 7.2 but the same peak torque.  19 HP would be more significant than 40 pounds unless the handling is clobbered.

1.  Is the modular system easy to use?

2.  Can you add another battery and also swap out?

3.  Is there noticeably more power to the ground with the 7.2?

4.  Is the 7.2 a different battery or just 2 modules packaged as one?

5.  Would the range be improved noticeably by not powering the lighting?

I didn’t find much in the The Riding Style > Dirt and Enduro|Adventure|Dual Sport forums, so sorry if I am asking questions already answered elsewhere.

I'll be visiting the dealer in a few days and hope to have an idea of which way I want to go by then.

Thanks for any info.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: FX as a dirt bike
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »

1.  Yes. The hardest part is locking/unlocking the bar that holds the batteries in. It's just an awkward location and takes some
     getting used to. However, you don't have to lock it.
2.  You can run one or two batteries in either location to change weight balance. If one pack is used there is a dummy plug you
     must install (Velcroed under the seat above the rear pack).
3.  Not really because you are 45 lbs. lighter with one pack.
4.  2 packaged as one. All 13+ Zeros use these same packs in various configurations.
5.  Not really but some have removed the onboard charger which I think weighs 7 lbs.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:14 AM »

Thanks Say10 for the info and answering my questions.

LDG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:51 AM »

I'm just following as I'm tossing around the idea of trading my 2013 DS for an FX. Just getting some 60/40 knobbies put on this week so I'll see how it performs and see what kind of riding I'm capable with the bike.

flattetyre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:05:25 AM »

Get the big battery, you will probably never ride with small battery because range and power both suck. The latter especially at the end of the pack. And yes, there is a shitload more power with the other battery.

Don't worry about modular, you will probably never swap it out to recharge, which is the only remaining benefit there.

To ride offroad you'll want a chain. Debris can snap your belt and so can landing jumps on power. I have a chain, and it is great.

About ~20 lbs in accessories can be lost from a stock bike depending on what you're willing to remove. More if you want to go crazy with lightweight fasteners, suspension and wheels.

The range won't be improved by removing power to the lights unless you keep the bike powered on for a whole day or something, while mostly not riding it.

My last comment is redundant; definitely forget about anything other than full battery, the weight loss is not worth the performance / range loss.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »

I came close to buying one and have read about the fx here.

Allmost all of the questions would be more fully answered in past threads.

It was $500 more to get two removable batteries (like the police bike) vs the same size but in one unit not easily removed.

It is my understanding that one module provides the same thrust at trail speeds.  This is from reding on here.

Get the one battery then you can get the front back weight ratio similar to your Ktm or at least consider verifying.

The lighting won't make make much more range.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

It is my understanding that one module provides the same thrust at trail speeds.  This is from reding on here.

Get the one battery then you can get the front back weight ratio similar to your Ktm or at least consider verifying.

I'm lucky enough to have gotten the '16 FX where the modular didn't cost extra (I can see why they'd decide to charge more).

In my experience the power level is OK with only one battery in, but power level decreases after around 20 miles.

It might work well at a dirt park where you could ride 20 miles, come in and swap battery and go back out. At only 240 lb it might be a blast to ride, and easy to pick up.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »

In my experience the power level is OK with only one battery in, but power level decreases after around 20 miles.

It might work well at a dirt park where you could ride 20 miles, come in and swap battery and go back out. At only 240 lb it might be a blast to ride, and easy to pick up.

Or private property of enough land to get a 5 to 8 mile hare scramble loop as in you belong to a club that runs such event once a year and can ride there pretty much any time being a club member.

It would seem one could be "rescued" by a quad with a rack instead of being towed out if no removable battery.

The chain kit costs $300 the shock costs $450.  To me that pretty much indicates how much of a "dirt bike" it really is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:21:52 PM by Fran K »

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:57 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and information.  You have helped me decide about the battery and unless I find an good option on the modular/dual, I'll definitely go for the big battery.  I think I can deal with the weight - when my 350 KTM is all mudded up it is probably just about as heavy.  My idea is to wear out the stock tires with dual sport and around town and then get the chain kit and see how I like it for off road.  I'm going to visit the dealer tomorrow, so maybe, here goes.

Thanks again!

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 01:49:23 AM »

My idea is to wear out the stock tires with dual sport and around town

Good luck with that plan... I'm approaching 8000 miles in 2.5 years and the tires are finally due for replacement!

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:13 AM »

Roger that - maybe the tires get changed out before they wear out and some other mods made ...
Pages: [1]