• April 26, 2024, 08:30:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: iOS App for reading/setting DigiNow parameters?  (Read 953 times)

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
iOS App for reading/setting DigiNow parameters?
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »

I would appreciate recommendations for which iOS app folks use for adjusting their DigiNow charger settings.

I have a single DigiNow v2.5 and believe it is set to charge at the usual ramp speed up to 3300W but the target battery voltage stops at 95% SOC on the dash. I would like to read the current settings and compare to the expected values, particularly for the charge stop point.

I would also require the App to allow me to set different charge rates and stop points so some sort of profile storage would be nice.

I don't mind suggestions for Paid apps as long as they are easy to use and robust.

Thanks in advance.

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: iOS App for reading/setting DigiNow parameters?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »

I've been meaning to write up a thing for this. I'll see if I can make a picture guide and have it up today or tomorrow.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:17 PM »

Ooh, that would be handy, thanks.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:15:01 PM »

The unofficial manual includes iOS and Android recommendations for dealing with the raw bluetooth serial interface provided by the vendor:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/DigiNow/Super_Charger_V2.5

I operate mine on iOS as described above, with some adjustments for my hardware configuration.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »

Alright, thanks for your patience. I made sure I took some screenshots and I want to explain a bit about usage of the app. When you first plug in and open your app you'll see something like the following:

This is a readout of what the chargers and the bike are doing. Each 'tick' in this case is 4 lines tall. It may vary on your phone size. It's telling me things like current battery voltage, amps going to the batteries, battery temperature readings, amp hours of the batteries, number of chargers, requested wattage rate, max wattage rate, and software version number. Things to note about this software in general is there are no decimal points and that all commands are issued via commas with no spaces. Therefore 1025 is actually a voltage reading of 102.5. This will be the same when issuing commands, so let's move on to that.

In the top of the screen notice both the words 'Console' as well as 'Functions'. Press Functions:

Oh boy. My Functions tab is a mess. Some of these commands are for internal testing so this is where you get to decide what you want. Each of these buttons reflect a command to issue the chargers, and I've (poorly) labeled them. So how do we make/edit them? See the crossed Pencil and Ruler icon in the top right next to the word Functions? Press that; it's an edit button:

Initially yours will be blank, but press the + sign in the bottom left of the screen to create New Button Element:

This is where we cover the various commands for your chargers. You'll need to give your command a useful name, button color, and message. The first thing to do is change the message type from Hex (default) to UTF8. From there you'll see I have the following command:

Let's make some sense of this.
1164 = 116.4V or 100% charge. This is the target charge percentage
126 = 126Ah, or the amp hours of my batteries. This is actually not so important to know/enter because the software is written so it will listen to the bike first and obey whatever the bike says the amp hours are. This way if there is some malfunction and your bike miscalculates the amp hours the chargers will obey what the bike thinks is safe as a precautionary measure. You can actually write what you want in this field. I use my actual Amp hours, 126 (104 monolith + 22 power tank).
3 = # of chargers.
9900 = 9.9kW target wattage. This is the maximum amount of watts the chargers will request from the station(s). If you know you're at a station with low power this is the value to change so you can avoid tripping breakers.
0 = Keep this field at 0 unless otherwise instructed. It's only for users who have brought their bikes to us to override the 1C charge limit.
50 = wattage tick rate. The chargers don't immediately ramp up to 9.9kW when plugged in. They start at 0 and each tick goes up 50 watts a time until it reaches the target goal.

Let's make a different command. For example, this next command will be for a bike that has 2 chargers, maximum of 6.6kW, and the user wants to stop around 80%

1100 = 110.0 Volts which is around 80%
126 = 126 Amp hours, my battery pack in this example
2 = 2 chargers
6600 = 6600 watts or 6.6kW
0 = keep this 0
50 = 50 watt tick rate

Also because I realized how messy it was I took some time to clean up some of my button functions. Now it looks like this:

I added a Stop command (0 target wattage) mostly for internal testing.

Questions?

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »

That is very useful, thank you. Having the pictures really helps show how you organised the options you have chosen for your bike and charger combo.

I do have a couple of questions, yes.

1. 1164 - is that the correct value to use for ALL Zeros for 100% charge? I have a 2018 7.2 DS 11kW so I assume I would be in the "recent" bikes. To try to make the guide useful for owners of, say, "older" and even "early" bikes, did Zero use a different voltage for any models or are we all 1164?

2. The second (Ah) value...I have the 7.2 battery with no powertank so what value would I be looking to use there?

3. For those of us with the v2.5 DigiNow operating outside the US, do we have to do anything special to unlock the 4000W charging speed that the chargers support under certain voltage conditions? My own wall charger is on a 32A breaker and operates on a 240V 50Hz supply. It is a 7kW PodPoint unit.

4. The iOS app comes in a free and paid version. Do you happen to know the difference between the two?

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »

I can answer #1 and #2..
Yes the voltage is the same.. 7.2 and 14.4 is 2 packs parallelly connected.

This also means the Ah value is different, but that can be located through math. :)
7200 / 116,4 = 61,855 -> 62 Ah.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 12:28:19 AM »

1. 1164 - is that the correct value to use for ALL Zeros for 100% charge? I have a 2018 7.2 DS 11kW so I assume I would be in the "recent" bikes. To try to make the guide useful for owners of, say, "older" and even "early" bikes, did Zero use a different voltage for any models or are we all 1164?

2. The second (Ah) value...I have the 7.2 battery with no powertank so what value would I be looking to use there?

3. For those of us with the v2.5 DigiNow operating outside the US, do we have to do anything special to unlock the 4000W charging speed that the chargers support under certain voltage conditions? My own wall charger is on a 32A breaker and operates on a 240V 50Hz supply. It is a 7kW PodPoint unit.

4. The iOS app comes in a free and paid version. Do you happen to know the difference between the two?

1. Yes, Zero motorcycles operate between 95-116.4 volts regardless of model.

2. You're going to need to look at the battery values when you charge. It should read something like 56,0,56 I'm guessing because I assume the 7.2kW battery is closer to 5.7kW usable. This would indicate 56Ah. Again it's not super important.

3. The chargers will only allow overclocking if they are a.) given instruction to do so and, more importantly, b.) they sense a current over 247 Volts from the station. Therefore with a single station if you give it the command to attempt to draw 4kW, it will request 4kW from the station but it won't deliver anything past 3.3kW unless the station is high voltage. You're not going to hurt anything by just leaving the request at 4kW most of the time, but it might be nice to keep an internal list of which stations around you are the good ones. Anything over 3300 watts delivered when looking at the Zero app will probably qualify as a good one. Happy hunting!

4. I don't, actually. I paid the $3.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »

Having picked up the paid version of the I do have a few more questions and observations about using it.

Initially I was caught out by the fact that the bike had to be connected to a charger for the bluetooth controller in the DigiNow to be visible in the app. I had mistakenly assumed that if the bike was keyed on, the charger would be visible. This requirement is mentioned in the Unofficial Zero Manual but I had missed it. My fault.

Once visible, the app picked up the charger properly and, since it was the first time I had used the iOS version, it started scanning and beeping at me once every second. The setting to suppress the audio is easy to find in the settings tab.

I created a single function for my one DigiNow which would pass "1164,62,1,3300,0,50" to the bike in UTF8 and tapped the button once. Sure enough, one line appeared in the midst of all the log spam...

0056 12:21:29 1164,62,1,3300,0,50

I have no idea if those settings have been accepted by the charger or not.

At the moment my bike stops a charging session at around 94% to 95%. When it was on the old stock charger it would go to 100% every time but at the moment with my new DigiNow it terminates a charge at 95%. Looking at the bluetooth app spam I could see that the current battery voltage was 1136 (113.6V) which looked about right for that percentage.

Disconnecting the charging cable, waiting for the bike to click off the connector and reconnecting initiated a new charging session but, after a minute or so, it too terminated at 95%. This is causing a bit of head scraching I have to admit.

I emailed myself the log from the bluetooth app and examined the string when the bike was at rest and not charging. It shows (after removing spurious line breaks)...

0106 12:21:45 1165,1136,0,0,0,0,57,0,57,8,8,0,0,1,0,3300,0,50,3

Any ideas why the charge session still stops at 95%? Does it have anything to do with the on/off switch that is part of the DigiNow install? I have no idea what that little thing is for, I have to admit.

Mudface

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »

i guess because you have 1136 in your code line.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:18 PM »

But I have 1164 in my Function. Do I need to do anything to "save" the function to the DigiNow?

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 02:20:24 AM »

Hmm... something is not quite right here and I will fire this off to my UK dealer tomorrow. For the record, here are the symptoms...

Bike : 2018 DS 7.2kW
Charger : 1x Diginow v2.5 3.3kW
Power Supply : PodPoint 240V 32A 7kW

1. Run bike down to, say, 50% then bring it back and plug in.
2. Dash says charging is in progress, Zero app shows power rising to about 3210W charging, percentage climbs from 50% at expected rate.
3. Charging stops at 95% on the dash.

4. Disconnect charge cable and wait for contactor to click off.

5. Reconnect cable and watch Zero app.
6. Dash says charging is in progress, Zero app shows power rising to about 3210W charging, percentage on dash stays at 95% and in a couple of minutes, charging stops with no change in percentage.

Now lets do it again but using the Bluetooth app to watch the Diginow.

7. Disconnect charge cable and wait for contactor to click off.
8. Reconnect cable and watch Diginow via Bluetooth app.

9. Charge current starts to ramp up at 50W per tick. Voltage climbs rapidly during the ramp towards 116.4V.
10. Dash percentage stays at 95%
11. Bluetooth app shows top of charge ramp reached. Voltage climbs quickly to 116.4V. Diginow clicks off.
12. Charge rate instantly drops to zero, battery voltage in Bluetooth app drops rapidly to around 114.0V (to match the 95% on the dash).

Somehow the Diginow is seeing a battery voltage that does not match what the dash thinks is present. The battery voltage is reported as climbing from 114.4V to 116.4V far to rapidly than expected and sags back down again as soon as the charge session is terminated by the charger.

I have formatted the charge log for tidiness but you can see that the battery starts at 113.6V, I tap the "send" button to transmit a "1164,62,1,3300,0,50" command  as soon as I have control in the app then the charge ramps up. Look at the time stamps as the voltage climbs then falls off.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »

Oh hey just saw this and I'm heading to bed shortly but I want to touch on some things briefly and go more in-depth when I have more time, hopefully tomorrow.

What you're seeing initially is something known voltage lift. The control board is getting constant readings from the battery measuring the highest voltage. Think of it like a bucket being filled with water. Normally the slow charger trickles it in and there's not much more than a ripple on the surface. When we start charging faster you're opening a garden hose into the bucket and the water splashes and throws the readings off. After all, it's reading the highest voltage it sees. If a splash reaches the magical 116.4 Volt cutoff line, the charger stops. Then, much like our bucket of water calms and becomes still, the voltage readings drop.

When I've got 3 chargers going full power on my SR I see anywhere between 3-4 volts above what it actually is, and if I turn off charging it drops. Knowing this, there is code written into the control board to scale back the juice going into the battery when it's nearly full. This, in turn, reduces the amount of lift and ideally stops you at 100%. However with the smaller battery packs this is easier said than done because instead of a bucket and a garden hose, what you have is a cup and a garden hose. Try filling it without spilling a drop; tricky.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »

Excellent explanation, thanks.

As it happens, Brandon has replied to the email I sent to Alec in the UK who installed the charger for me and he said the same thing.

His advice was to set up a 1164,57,1,3300,0,50 profile to charge at 3.3kW which will leave the dash reporting about 95%. This is of course perfectly fine for the battery health in the long term.

If I ever need FULL range from the bike, he then suggested making a 1164,57,1,1300,0,50 profile to trickle up to the top to mimic the old stock charger. I will set up and test that profile today.

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 04:06:53 PM »

Here are a few more data points on the 7.2kW battery. If there is a tailing off at the end of a charge, it is not particularly tuned for the smaller battery and I didn't observe it happening even when watching an entire tail end of the charge.

Using the "1164,57,1,xxxx,0,50" string (changing xxxx to different values) I observed the following...

Wattage - Resting voltage - Dash percentage
====  ====  ====
3300   1140   95%
1300   1151   97%
800     1154   100%
Pages: [1] 2